Signed by Cowboys ***Undrafted FA Signings Thread***

_sturt_

Reaction score
Simple answer would be that we didn’t want to risk it. Others could have offered more money than we were willing to pay and he was sitting there for us to guarantee getting the guy we wanted. Next question.

That is indeed a simple answer.

Perhaps I should have set up the question better.

"Coach, there is nothing that is especially remarkable about this QB you drafted except that you appear to have some relationship with him to begin with.

"So, if he'd went undrafted, and if he didn't regard your relationship together to be anything significant enough that he wanted to go to camp with you anyhow, what really would have been lost to have drafted someone in the 7th--such as a Quartney Davis, the popular-as-it-turns-out WR from A&M--and signed some other UDFA QB who, though he didn't have a relationship with you previously, may have been remarkable for other reasons?"

Randy White

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that there are usually 2 or 3 guys we're all interested in every year. Going by that list, not this year. Maybe because we have a much better roster and our draft was out of this world good, but it's obvious this year, they didn't pay too much attention to the UDFA group..

timb2

Reaction score
Any guys from the XFL worth a signing? Antonio Callaway or is Shawn Oakman there?

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Hearing McM comment in the wrap-up presser, my natural follow-up question would've been, "So, given the relationship you appear to already have had with the player, was there some reason to suspect that he wouldn't have signed as a UDFA, so you needed to draft him?"

Snarky question, yes, but seems only reasonable.
Another team could just as easily drafted him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
This is someone I have watched. I like him. Decent measurables. Zone runner. Saw explosive production, but looked slow; ended up running a 4.61 40 yard dash. Makes me question if I can actually evaluate TCU RB's, because I've been down this road before.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Someone gave him the nickname "Jet," and it probably wasn't you (?). :)

_sturt_

Reaction score
Another team could just as easily drafted him.

In the world of measuring risk, I'm going to be brazen enough to put this one down in the category of not merely "unlikely," but "incredibly unlikely."

But maybe that's just me.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you'd asked me if I thought we'd have more UDFA RBs and WRs than UDFA LBs and Ss???

I would have failed miserably. This is the exact opposite of what I woulda thought. I'm still scratchin my head, really.
Totals for those groups is slightly favoring the defense when added to the current roster. Maybe they really like their guys on offense, and are serious about competition for the defense - end result is to get more turnovers.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I rarely go to the team site. Except for a q quick reference, as to player size or school.
Seems this one at wiki is kept more up to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Dallas_Cowboys_roster

Even though so far this year, not up to date as fast or as good as it used to be. But it does seem to be today.

Here are 2 links for transactions, though these to seem to be behind, as of last week.
https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/dallas-cowboys/transactions
It does not have the draft picks yet.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/transactions/DAL/dallas-cowboys
Nor this one, however maybe they won't until they sign their contracts.
I tend to rely on two sites for accuracy: Wikipedia and OurLads. I like CBS for their links to player history and current status. I'm sure that official player signings influence some lists. But all sites have been under some duress I think due to the prevailing climate to some degree. I take Wiki with a grain of salt, and OurLads tends to wait until official NFL notice of some kind, such as official signings, uniform number verification, etc., but they can be wrong due to database glitches and human error.
It looks like the DC site is making new efforts to keep up, but there is no telling how much their web site is regulated by the NFL and any flaws they might inherit. Official explanations of how these things work would be nice, but fans probably need the 'Paid' version of websites like PFF and others to more easily obtain all the relevant facts. That, or become an agent and get all the facts!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As you should, but of course, wiki is after all a wiki, and depends on any of us Joe or Jane Schmos to take a moment to update it. :)
I have never signed up for that, but I hope it is vetted to some degree in terms of who can update.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I see that clubs can officially interview and try out XFL players tomorrow, April 27. Maybe they sign a punter?

I thought they were already available. In that case, maybe we'll pick up Marquette King. I'd probably prefer to try one of the two rookies, Charlton or Turk, but King has proven ability, even if he's a bit flamboyant for a punter.