Unplugging From Facebook

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I'm on Day 7 of "no facebook". I have logged in a few times to clear notifications and check a few times my name was tagged on something. However, I have done exactly zero news feed scrolling. It is easier than I thought it would be, however, I find myself hitting the Facebook app just out of subconsciousness a lot. That shows how much it controlled my life in my quest to thirst my social media starvation. My results so far? I don't really miss it. It feels good to clear my mind from the social media BS. Facebook used to be fun but now it just feels like it is filled with politic opinions, drama, and hate. You can't even look in the comments of a simple NFL post without finding people bickering and name calling like children. I just felt over it.

I would delete the entire thing all together but I really like the Facebook Marketplace. :laugh: Anyways, I thought I would share my little unplugging experiment. This may just become a new trend for me.
It's easy to quit. A big room full of hit and runs,trolls,and people shouting over each other gets old real fast.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
It has it's uses like keeping up with people that I care about. I re-signed up when I retired at the request of some of the people I used to work with but the majority aren't Bookers and posting every little detail of their lives. Hey, I just took a breath!

My wife talked me into it the first time and I hated it and that whole "friends" thing reminded me of the popularity contests back in high school. Add you as a friend? I didn't like you when you were younger, why in the hell would I want to like you now?

I've never really explored it and plunged into the bowels of it but the damned thing has cost more productivity and put more stress on marriages than anything in history. I do not get the "social' aspect of it but I am most likely in the minority.

But I am not going to criticize anyone for being addicted to social media as I am kind of that way about our little gathering here. A day goes by and I don't see my fellow Zonekins and I get testy.
It's wise to stick to companies and products pages,and or scan the headlines of the day and skip all the rest. And yes CC,that whole "social thing" is crapola,and not good on a lot of relationships.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
These always get me for a good laugh. There's always some lame picture in the post making an "inspiring" pose :laugh:

I have a friend who took ten years to finish his undergrad and he was a student full time! I'm not sure if he was completely oblivious but he would always post pictures of himself studying at the library and writing things like how he just aced a test and and that he was always #grinding.

A 10 year undergraduate grind.

You can't be serious?

10 years for his bachelors and he was a full-time student?

I could somewhat understand if you were taking evening classes while working full-time or something.

Stryker44

Reaction score
People should not do this IMO. It shows a massive lack of loyalty to their friends they know who wonder what the hell happened if they just disappear. No warning. No notices.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
People should not do this IMO. It shows a massive lack of loyalty to their friends they know who wonder what the hell happened if they just disappear. No warning. No notices.

Someone could always make a swan song post to the effect of, "Nothing personal, but I'm shutting off Facebook."

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sounds like someone was left in the lurch. :(

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, I dunno, the last forum I was on the only thing they hated more than someone leaving was telling them they were leaving.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you disappear you OWE an explanation
I don't do FB, but I doubt that's true. Either way, @CouchCoach and I were talking about the people who left the old Cowboys forum, who had to start a new thread to announce their departure, (some from Cowboys fandom, as well as the forum) as if anyone gave a crap that they were such little crybabies that they couldn't bear to watch the Cowboys not win anymore.

Passepartout

Reaction score
I love Facebook and Twitter and Pinterest and Youtube. But not in Instagram and no plans as that is enough social media for me.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
LMAO!! All this talk about FB stroked my interest,so I went to pop in on the sewer,and got blocked out of my first thread by the OP right out the gate!! Well,that was a short visit. Loooool.