Upcoming cap decisions

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Really, the answer to nearly all free-agent questions is: if the money's right.

Beasley's skill set seems like it'd be one that doesn't decline as dramatically with age as someone like, say, Dez's.

Re-sign Lee but make him earn his roster spot on special teams! :D

I agree Beasley's skill set doesnt decline rapidly. I also think his skill set is easily replaceable

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Beasley's skill set doesnt decline rapidly. I also think his skill set is easily replaceable
Here’s a couple of good free agents coming in 2019 that could replace Beasley for a decent price:

1. Adam Humphries- 26- currently plays for TB. Has 40 catches for 493 yds and 3 TDS so far. (Has more yards and more TDs than Beasley)
2. Devin Funchess- 25- currently plays for Carolina- Has 41 catches for 519 yds and 3 TDs

Both are younger, cheaper and just as productive as Beasley.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Beasley has (I believe) 3 career 100 yard games and only a handful of touchdowns. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys aren't even coming close to the numbers he wants.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Here’s a couple of good free agents coming in 2019 that could replace Beasley for a decent price:

1. Adam Humphries- 26- currently plays for TB. Has 40 catches for 493 yds and 3 TDS so far. (Has more yards and more TDs than Beasley)
2. Devin Funchess- 25- currently plays for Carolina- Has 41 catches for 519 yds and 3 TDs

Both are younger, cheaper and just as productive as Beasley.

Here's where I'm at. We are a running team correct? Bigger WRs are(typically) more physical blockers. I want a big body slot WR, ironcially Hurns fits the bill, to help big time in the run and pass game.

Saints and Rams are both doing this with Michael Thomas and Kupp(pre-injury which they are now using 6'2 Josh Reynolds in that roll) and look at their run games respectively. Chiefs are also somewhat doing that with playing Kelce in the slot.

Funchess makes sense as you pointed out.

csirl

Reaction score
I've a bad feeling that Beasley is going to be one of those players who does nothing after signing a big money final contract type deal.

jay94

Reaction score
The acquisition of Cooper probably means not being able to keep Cole Beasley unless he agrees to a lesser contract than he probably wants.

Cooper is going to demand a huge deal. He has all the leverage. Unless they Franchise tag him, I expect Jerry to pull out the checkbook for Cooper. Jerry loves him some WRs.

This receiver has the most talent/skill since T.O., he doesn't have to be 50/50 man with precise route running.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Beasley would have been easier to let go if we still had Switzer on the team. There are guys you can draft late for the slot WR position, but will they be as good?

That's why I would keep Tavon Austin and let him play the slot. He's a very good route runner and has more juice than Beasley.

If we get a good starting/dynamic TE through the draft or FA and our starting 3 WR corps looks like Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Tavon Austin with Zeke in the backfield behind what will be an improved o-line, I think that's a very formidable offense.

Plus those 3 WR's resemble exactly what I believe this coaching staff want to do on offense. 2 sizable WR's on the outside who can run the whole route tree, get up and go get the ball and have speed to break away/ go over the top of defense. Then the faster shiftier, smaller wide out that again can run the whole route tree, use on reverse plays, has the speed to go over the safety's but gets those 3-6 possession catches a game. That's Tavon Austin.

Further more: Amari cooper 24 yrs old, Michael Gallup 22 yrs old, Tavon Austin 27 yrs old.

What we do with Dak will be outright understood by next season's end.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Love D_Law but the price required to keep him will be way too much. Franchise him again and look for a trade partner. The Raiders got 2 1st rounders for Mack, we can get 2 for D_Law.
you dont let franchise DE walk you pay market
that why we're dont sign big FA players we pay our own

Last edited:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Love D_Law but the price required to keep him will be way too much. Franchise him again and look for a trade partner. The Raiders got 2 1st rounders for Mack, we can get 2 for D_Law.
Everyone across the league is mocking the raiders for making that trade.

And the raiders had to send a 2nd back to make it work.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Beasley would have been easier to let go if we still had Switzer on the team. There are guys you can draft late for the slot WR position, but will they be as good?
Austin can man the slot. Dak seems to forget about Beas a good deal of the time. He loves him some Amari. Coop is a must sign and TE is a must hit in FA or the draft. Beasley is going to be a victim of Amaris success.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
you dont let franchise DE walk you pay market
that why we're dont sign big FA players we pay our own
D_Law, Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon Byron. All up for contracts in the within the next 2 years. Who stays and who goes? We have big bucks invested in that o-line, cant keep everyone! D_Law is our best shot at getting something.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The acquisition of Cooper probably means not being able to keep Cole Beasley unless he agrees to a lesser contract than he probably wants.

Cooper is going to demand a huge deal. He has all the leverage. Unless they Franchise tag him, I expect Jerry to pull out the checkbook for Cooper. Jerry loves him some WRs.

Cooper will get paid. He's the best risky Reciever trade that Jerry has ever made that has panned out for the better. Jerry won't let him walk.

waving monkey

Reaction score
D_Law, Dak, Zeke, Cooper, Jaylon Byron. All up for contracts in the within the next 2 years. Who stays and who goes? We have big bucks invested in that o-line, cant keep everyone! D_Law is our best shot at getting something.
DHC its not that I dont see the issue but the big four needs are QB,CB,DE and LT. TSmith is locked up but the others plus
Amari are coming round the corner. Amarin is also proving to be a clog. For me DLaw is gospel.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Cooper will get paid. He's the best risky Reciever trade that Jerry has ever made that has panned out for the better. Jerry won't let him walk.
Amari isn't going anywhere. Jerry is going to pull out all the stops after paying with a 1st. Cooper may end up with elite WR money (16-17mil per) but I hope isn't more like 14mil.

HanD

Reaction score
Jaylon will be a restricted fa due to not playing his first year. They tender him and wait until after 2020 imo. Zeke will be a 5th year option too.

Law after this year
Cooper and Byron after next, also Dak but maybe under franchise depending on his development, also lael
Jaylon and Zeke after 2020

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Beasley is a good role player but you probably can afford to let him go. Cooper’s ability to play the slot in 3 WR sets somewhat negates the loss of Beasley.

Wilson is solid but replaceable.

I don’t think anyone has a clue about Irving. They’ll like to resign him but who knows what type of offers he gets from other teams?

The rest of the key guys will be retained.

There’s a good chance Lee is either released or asked to take a pay cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry has already handed Cooper's agent a blank check. I've never seen such effusive praise being thrown at a guy on the verge of a huge contract extension. Jerry Jones has gleefully handed over all bargaining position on that deal. The good news is that Cooper is a great, young, drama-free player, so if you're going to make that huge investment, he looks like a player to make it on.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beasley-I hope Beasley is brought back for another 3 years. The team should be able to afford him by cutting Allen Hurns and Terrance William's. Frees up about 7 million in cap right there.
3 year 18.5 million/12 guarantee

Lawrence-Completely agree. Sign him to a 4 year deal.
5 year 84 million/68 guarantee

Fleming-I'm fine with letting him walk, but if he can be brought back for 2 years at around the same price, I'd say do it. We will have OL depth. Well worth the cap hit.
2 year 7 million/4 guarantee

Ladecour- I'm fine either way. I don't think a long snapper will be that hard to find if he retires or walks in free agency.

David Irving-One year prove it deal at the same salary he is getting paid this year. If he asks for anything more, let him walk.

Damien Wilson-Alright with letting him walk. Although, the front office may end up releasing Lee to free up 7 million in cap. The position would no longer have any depth. Will be interesting to see what happens with both of these players. Especially Lee.

I think your numbers on Lawrence are far too low. Hi s agent is the same guy that got Olivier Vernon $85 million over 5 years with the Giants. Neither party is going backwards after that deal.

cristglo

Reaction score
we have enough cap space to sign all these guys You dont let your best DL guy walk that would be crazy/ Even two #1's doesnt guarantee you hit on them. Every year the cap goes up we have enough in cap space to sign the players we want and need.