UPDATE: Garrett stays; promoted to Asst HC at $3mil/yr *Merge*

Wood

Reaction score
I think Jason become Head Coach in 2009 and Wade goes to DC. Thats how I think it should have been from the start.

Deep_South

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys is a big business and if you want to keep the best talent you have to pay the freight. Jerry wants to keep Jason Garrett around so he is paying the tab. Wade is still the head coach and probably will be for some time if the year over year improvement matches his first year.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
nake;1911228 said:
The Dallas Cowboys is a big business and if you want to keep the best talent you have to pay the freight. Jerry wants to keep Jason Garrett around so he is paying the tab. Wade is still the head coach and probably will be for some time if the year over year improvement matches his first year.

Don't bet on it.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
This isn't surprising at all. Garrett wasn't going anywhere. I have no doubt that Jerry would have given him the job last year but Jason told him he wanted to get more experience. Even Troy, who has been saying all season that Garrett would be a HC next season, started talking about Garrett not being a HC next year just becasue he chose not to be one.

As for Wade, I'm sure he understands the drill. Jason is the kind of person that he and Wade will work well together next year just like they did this year.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CaptainAmerica;1911238 said:
This isn't surprising at all. Garrett wasn't going anywhere. I have no doubt that Jerry would have given him the job last year but Jason told him he wanted to get more experience. Even Troy, who has been saying all season that Garrett would be a HC next season, started talking about Garrett not being a HC next year just becasue he chose not to be one.

As for Wade, I'm sure he understands the drill. Jason is the kind of person that he and Wade will work well together next year just like they did this year.

Right, and for all intents and purposes, they are "Co-Head Coaches" It's Garrett's Offense and Wade owns the D.

Wade just keeps the HC title, since football teams need that.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1911188 said:
You inherit talented corps of players and even Campo could have gone 13-3.

Wow ......what does that say about Parcells?

coogrfan

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1911188 said:
You inherit talented corps of players and even Campo could have gone 13-3.

I'll take that bet, Campo couldn't go 13-3 if you gave him 10 forfeits.

I don't understand why so many people want to oversell what Phillips inherited here. It's not like this group of players had won anything prior to his arrival. Last week notwithstanding, WC got more out of these players than Parcells ever did. Imo he deserves at least some credit for that feat.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
coogrfan;1911261 said:
I'll take that bet, Campo couldn't go 13-3 if you gave him 10 forfeits.

I don't understand why so many people want to oversell what Phillips inherited here. It's not like this group of players had won anything prior to his arrival. Last week notwithstanding, WC got more out of these players than Parcells ever did. Imo he deserves at least some credit for that feat.

Did he really? Romo having one full year and some key acquisitions didn't have any thing to do with it at all?

Every body wanted to measure Parcells with Playoffs and SBs. Now it's records?:lmao2:

cowboyed

Reaction score
PJDallasfan;1911045 said:
Yeah, just saw on ESPN that they were reporting somewhere around $3 million a year and that he also now has the title of Asst. Head Coach.

Wade is in his 60's. I don't think he had illusions of being a long term coach for any team. If we have a great year and post season and possibly get into the Superbowl he would be pretty accomodating about the transition.

I don't think Jerry is paying Garrett $ 3 ml just to stay an extra year without promotion.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1911273 said:
Did he really? Romo having one full year and some key acquisitions didn't have any thing to do with it at all?

Every body wanted to measure Parcells with Playoffs and SBs. Now it's records?

:eek: Heard an awful lot of "this is Dallas - championships are all that matter" last offseason to describe what a failure the old man was. Didn't matter that the entire franchise was turned around, this was a black and white, results oriented issue.

Funny how that's changed.

13-3!

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
You know, many of us have been clamouring about putting the heat on some coaches and players etc. Well, I would probably like to see a 2 or 3 year contract for Garrett, but it doesn't really matter, since he could interview for a HC job after a year anyway since it would still be a promotion right?

Regardless, if there is a little more pressure on Wade then who cares. This is a pressure industry. Wade got some progress this year, but ultimately failed to win a playoff game just like Parcells did. We did get to the final 8 and earned an NFC East Division Title and homefield advantage and a bye, things not done for over a decade. So now Wade has another year to do even more with a little pressure on. Sounds good to me. If coaches can't handle looking over their shoulders, especially a guy like Wade who has seen it all, then it's too late anyway. This is the NFL. Coaches usually don't last too long in one place. The Landry's, Cowher's etc were exceptions.

LarryCanadian

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1911273 said:
Every body wanted to measure Parcells with Playoffs and SBs. Now it's records?

Unfortunately Bill had neither while he was here.

cowboyed

Reaction score
He would have deserved a raise if we would have won in the post season.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
At least Bill built a playoff team out of the perienniel mess Jerry created.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Bach;1911292 said:
At least Bill built a playoff team out of the perienniel mess Jerry created.

Depends how you look at it in these parts pertner.:D

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Bravo! Jerra.

As usual, you are proactive, enthusiastic and Machavallian (and I use that last term in a positive way.)

Best of both worlds. You preserve Wade's dignity by not firing his arse this year and let Jason know that he IS THE FUTURE.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I like this move and I don't like it.

*I like it in that I think he retained his best option as the HC, but made him the assistant.
*I don't like it in that I think he retained his 2nd best option (Wade) as the HC.

We don't lose Garrett, but we, again, have a very strange situation at the top of the coaching chain.

Whether it has been Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, or Dave Campo, whenever it is PERCEIVED that the HC isn't really very powerful, it hasn't worked out well.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1911293 said:
Yup. And 13-3 got us what?

What did 9-7 get us?

I defended Bill to the day he left the organization ..... seems to me like some of you guys are doing exactly to Wade what others did to Bill.

And you are all wrong.