Twitter: Update: Gregory appeal hearing is going forward in NY today - Post #135

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think its pretty obvious that Randy isn't going to be playing for us in the playoffs..............the only real question is how many games he is going to miss next year as well. If they tag him for the entire season, meaning he is gone until 2018, we might as well just move on from him.

I have never seen a player that missed basically 2 entire back to back seasons come back and become a stud, just too much time off to recover from. Its actually pretty sad, the dude has the skills to be a legit starter but just cant keep from getting high.

What a way to just waste all that God given talent because you cant keep from lighting up a blunt.:(
If Gregory does get suspended before the playoff games, those games count toward the suspension, so he would return toward the latter part of next season (depending on number of playoff games he misses)...that is if he has no further incidents.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If Gregory does get suspended before the playoff games, those games count toward the suspension, so he would return toward the latter part of next season (depending on number of playoff games he misses)...that is if he has no further incidents.

So if we make it to the SuperBowl, they deduct 3 games off his new 16 game suspension?

So he would miss 13 games next year? That is still a hell of a long time to not play football.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
So if we make it to the SuperBowl, they deduct 3 games off his new 16 game suspension?

So he would miss 13 games next year? That is still a hell of a long time to not play football.
It's not really a deduction of games...he is still missing games his team is playing in. The PO games are actually more important than RS games, so it's not like he's getting some sort of break. So yes, if we make the SB and he doesn't play in any of the playoff games, he will have already served 3 games of his 16 game suspension, given that that's what comes down from Goodell. I just get the feeling that there is something different (not so cut as dried as some are making it out to be) about this suspension/appeal. There have been reports here and there of him possibly having a leg to stand on for his appeal to at least get it reduced. Personally, I will believe it when I see it, but I do have hope.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I'd really like to have his speed for those inevitable Rodgers scrambles.

bark

Reaction score
So what is the deal here? The hearing has been suspended? Till when?
Geez I was hoping to get an answer one way or the other. Goodell's NFL .......

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score

The hearing happened, but the decision is not coming immediately, guess they have something to chew on.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

We don't know because the NFL has made drug cases private. They basically only announce suspensions and it's up to reporters to ferret out the details. It's likely they gave him a timeframe to representation. It's that a week or is it until after the playoffs are over?

Reaction score
Yep good thing the chiefs passed on Justin Houston for failing his combine pee test. Everyone knew that idiot would never learn :rolleyes:
I would have passed on him. Jimmy Johnson said, "Hit me in the head with a hammer the next time I take a stupid player. You can't coach stupid". Houston is an anomaly. Every other moron who failed his dope test has failed to make an impact in the NFL. How can young men ever learn if you keep rewarding them for breaking the rules? It's about having a team full of character, not characters.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NFL players vote to approve new drug policy

In Stage Two, players will be subject to unannounced testing up to 10 times a month and marijuana is separated into its own discipline structure. Here's how the term sheet lays it out:

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
If player is in the program by testing positive for either marijuana (MJ) or other banned substances of abuse (O):

(MJ) Marijuana and (O) opiates

Next violation relating to MJ 2 game fine

Next violation relating to O 4 game fine

Player's last discipline was 2 game fine for MJ:

Next violation relating to MJ 4 game fine

Player's last discipline was 4 game fine for MJ or O:

Next violation relating to MJ 4 game suspension

Next violation relating to O 4 game suspension, entry into Stage 3 for O

Player's last discipline was for 4 game suspension for MJ or O:

Next violation relating to MJ 10 game suspension, entry into Stage 3

Next violation relating to O Banishment, can reinstatement after 1 year

Player's last discipline was for 10 game suspension for MJ:

Next violation relating to MJ Banishment, can reinstatement after 1 year

The threshold for a positive marijuana test will now be 35 nanograms per milliliter – up from 15 ng/ml under the 2006 drug policy, but still lower than the standards used by Major League Baseball (50 ng/ml) and WADA (150 ng/ml).

Discipline for marijuana violations after the last game of the 2013 season will be adjusted under the new marijuana discipline schedule, except that suspensions will not convert to fines.

Players remain in Stage Two for a minimum of one year and in Stage Three for a minimum of two years. Under the old policy, a player in Stage Three remained there for the rest of his career.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/

Cowboys22

Reaction score
NFL players vote to approve new drug policy

In Stage Two, players will be subject to unannounced testing up to 10 times a month and marijuana is separated into its own discipline structure. Here's how the term sheet lays it out:

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
If player is in the program by testing positive for either marijuana (MJ) or other banned substances of abuse (O):

(MJ) Marijuana and (O) opiates

Next violation relating to MJ 2 game fine

Player's last discipline was 2 game fine for MJ:

Next violation relating to MJ 4 game fine

Player's last discipline was 4 game fine for MJ or O:

Next violation relating to MJ 4 game suspension

Next violation relating to O 4 game suspension, entry into Stage 3 for O

Player's last discipline was for 4 game suspension for MJ or O:

Next violation relating to MJ 10 game suspension, entry into Stage 3

Next violation relating to O Banishment, can reinstatement after 1 year

Player's last discipline was for 10 game suspension for MJ:

Next violation relating to MJ Banishment, can reinstatement after 1 year

The threshold for a positive marijuana test will now be 35 nanograms per milliliter – up from 15 ng/ml under the 2006 drug policy, but still lower than the standards used by Major League Baseball (50 ng/ml) and WADA (150 ng/ml).

Discipline for marijuana violations after the last game of the 2013 season will be adjusted under the new marijuana discipline schedule, except that suspensions will not convert to fines.

Players remain in Stage Two for a minimum of one year and in Stage Three for a minimum of two years. Under the old policy, a player in Stage Three remained there for the rest of his career.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/09/13/nfl-new-drug-policy-three-things/15571205/

So the tests are unannounced which means that arguement about the NFL changing the date at the last minute is probably false. My best guess is that they sent the tester to the rehab facility and he wasn't there. It has been reported that he had permission to leave for the weekend but that is from the facility not the NFL. We have to assume that players in the program must inform the NFL of where they will be at all times. If he left the facility and didn't tell the NFL, then he has no case. If he did inform them and someone screwed up by not telling the tester about the change in venue, then I would think he has a good chance to win the appeal or take it court if he wishes. The only leg he has to stand on looks to me to be that he did what he was supposed to do and the NFL made the mistake. If that isn't what happened, I'm not sure why he is even appealing except to get those last two games in.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So the tests are unannounced which means that arguement about the NFL changing the date at the last minute is probably false. My best guess is that they sent the tester to the rehab facility and he wasn't there. It has been reported that he had permission to leave for the weekend but that is from the facility not the NFL. We have to assume that players in the program must inform the NFL of where they will be at all times. If he left the facility and didn't tell the NFL, then he has no case. If he did inform them and someone screwed up by not telling the tester about the change in venue, then I would think he has a good chance to win the appeal or take it court if he wishes. The only leg he has to stand on looks to me to be that he did what he was supposed to do and the NFL made the mistake. If that isn't what happened, I'm not sure why he is even appealing except to get those last two games in.

That is what you got out of this? LOL to even be where Gregory is now looking at a 1 year he had to fail a lot of test. This is not the NFL fault it is on Gregory. I'm sorry I am as big of a Cowboy fan as their is but I will not put blame on other when a player is the cause of the problem.

TheHerd

Reaction score
So this confirms what I've been saying, it's not a one year suspension, it's an indefinite suspension but he can apply for reinstatement after a year. As long as he wears the star no way, no how is he playing again.

Time to move on, not that it really matters since he won't occupy a roster spot while on suspension and his cap number isn't huge.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
The hearing happened, but the decision is not coming immediately, guess they have something to chew on.

When you put the news/statements pieces together .. from NFL Network, Stephen Jones .. you get this

He went to NY for the hearing (per Stephen) but because of his representation issues it was postponed (per NFLN Total Access) ..

Now.. When is the hearing happing? .. how long he has to get his representation sorted out and go for the hearing????
no one is talking about that .. not Jerry .. not Stephen . not the NFL .. no one

I know it weird ..like JFK assassination commission .. but it is what it is

:cool:

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jerry basically came out and said he didnt think Gregory will be available for the playoffs. So they know this clown is at fault. You have to fail 5 or 6 times to get to the point of a year banishment. Nobody to blame but Gregory.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
That is what you got out of this? LOL to even be where Gregory is now looking at a 1 year he had to fail a lot of test. This is not the NFL fault it is on Gregory. I'm sorry I am as big of a Cowboy fan as their is but I will not put blame on other when a player is the cause of the problem.

Everyone knows that. I'm referring to the specific incident of the missed test. It would suck if he has been clean for a while now and gets a 1 year ban based on a mistake made by someone else. I have little sympathy for him but I do hope he gets it together.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Everyone knows that. I'm referring to the specific incident of the missed test. It would suck if he has been clean for a while now and gets a 1 year ban based on a mistake made by someone else. I have little sympathy for him but I do hope he gets it together.

Well he gets a chance to present his case. I hope he can get a pass by the league or a lesser suspension. We will see.

Like you I hope he can get his life together and be able to pursue his career in the NFL and with the Cowboys.