Update on TEs

reddyuta

Reaction score
I saw a rumor about Washington getting medical red flagged by teams. Has anyone else heard that and know if there is any truth to it? This source was claiming many teams had already removed him from their board completely.
Tyree wilson has major injury worries.he has lisfranc surgeries on both foot.teams have to crazy to draft him in the top 10.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
I watched pretty much all of Iowa's games (my little sister attends school there). LaPorta's lack of production is a bit misleading because his offensive system and QB was all-time inept. Like an absolute joke to watch. He's got a lot of talent. Watched all of Mayer's games too and I think he's unquestionable the better prospect. I think Kinkaid is also rightfully ranked higher than him based on what I've seen (albeit not as much since I'm not a Utah fan).

But point is I think LaPorta is a very worthy TE prospect who could be a starter for a long time in this league so I wouldn't let his lack of college production completely dissuade you. That being said, 26 is too high for him based on what he's shown thus far—even if this was during a down TE year which clearly it is not that.

Gaede

Reaction score
Laporte had no quarterback at Iowa. He is a good player. If the Cowboys really want a top tight end they will probably have to overdraft one. Remember the Cowboys draft at the end of every round.
Strangely enough, I am happier to get LaPorta in 1 than any of the other guys--Mayer too slow, Washington not a receiver, Kincaid and Musgrave both injury red flags. I just hate the value. Feels like there most likely will be higher ranked players there and at higher value positions. I guess my main beef has always been and still is the idea of TE in Rd 1

The player himself I'm excited about.

Gaede

Reaction score
I watched pretty much all of Iowa's games (my little sister attends school there). LaPorta's lack of production is a bit misleading because his offensive system and QB was all-time inept. Like an absolute joke to watch. He's got a lot of talent. Watched all of Mayer's games too and I think he's unquestionable the better prospect. I think Kinkaid is also rightfully ranked higher than him based on what I've seen (albeit not as much since I'm not a Utah fan).

But point is I think LaPorta is a very worthy TE prospect who could be a starter for a long time in this league so I wouldn't let his lack of college production completely dissuade you. That being said, 26 is too high for him based on what he's shown thus far—even if this was during a down TE year which clearly it is not that.
Kittle also had pretty crummy production, IIRC, and was thought of as only a blocking TE

Sydla

Reaction score
Watch LaPorta highlight reels.

Watch Mayer highlight reels.

I don't see a huge difference in how they play, speed wise, on the field. Oh I know LaPorta had better testing numbers but when I watch LaPorta, he does not look that much more athletic than Mayer.

Watch Kincaid and then LaPorta. It's pretty clear who is more athletic. So sorry, but LaPorta over Mayer seems.............. odd to me. LaPorta over Kincaid seems.......... odd to me. I wonder if Dallas expects both Mayer and Kincaid to be gone by 26.

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
Kittle also had pretty crummy production, IIRC, and was thought of as only a blocking TE
Yep. Like I said I'm a LaPorta fan. He's been TE3 for me this whole time. I just think Mayer/Kinkaid or 1a/1b in a tier above is all.

reddyuta

Reaction score

I don't see a huge difference in how they play, speed wise, on the field. Oh I know LaPorta had better testing numbers but when I watch LaPorta, he does not look that much more athletic than Mayer.

Watch Kincaid and then LaPorta. It's pretty clear who is more athletic. So sorry, but LaPorta over Mayer seems.............. odd to me. LaPorta over Kincaid seems.......... odd to me. I wonder if Dallas expects both Mayer and Kincaid to be gone by 26.
if both Mayer and Kicaid are gone then there is bound to be a guy like Mcdonald or Forbes available and both better choices .

CherBoyWade

Reaction score

Pretty much every single mock that came out today has 1 or both gone by the time the Cowboys pick. I'm fairly confident that at least with Mayer he'd for sure be the pick. Think that too with Kinkaid but *mayyyyyybe* they'd go LaPorta over him if they were that committed to taking a traditional type, but I doubt it.

Gaede

Reaction score
Yep. Like I said I'm a LaPorta fan. He's been TE3 for me this whole time. I just think Mayer/Kinkaid or 1a/1b in a tier above is all.
Agreed, though I think LaPortas YAC ability puts him closer to Mayer, who doesn't appear to offer much there

CherBoyWade

Reaction score
if both Mayer and Kicaid are gone then there is bound to be a guy like Mcdonald or Forbes available and both better choices .
This is where I'm at. If both Mayer and Kinkaid are gone then a few real talented guys we didn't think would be available should be available.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Strangely enough, I am happier to get LaPorta in 1 than any of the other guys--Mayer too slow, Washington not a receiver, Kincaid and Musgrave both injury red flags. I just hate the value. Feels like there most likely will be higher ranked players there and at higher value positions. I guess my main beef has always been and still is the idea of TE in Rd 1

The player himself I'm excited about.
I also believe they will pick the one that worked out the best with Dak. Guarantee you that he worked out the tight end that they will pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agreed, though I think LaPortas YAC ability puts him closer to Mayer, who doesn't appear to offer much there
What YAC ability? Based on his testing? Because one of the knocks seems to be LaPorta plays slower than his testing.

reddyuta

Reaction score
What YAC ability? Based on his testing? Because one of the knocks seems to be LaPorta plays slower than his testing.
from highlights he is not running some great routes.this is as basic as an offense gets.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Based on his play on the field. He broke more tackles than any other TE in college football last year, including Bowers.

You couple that with 90th percentile NFL speed, 90th percentile NFL explosion, and 88th percentile NFL agility, and it looks like a very safe bet to translate.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Based on his play on the field. He broke more tackles than any other TE in college football last year, including Bowers.

You couple that with 90th percentile NFL speed, 90th percentile NFL explosion, and 88th percentile NFL agility, and it looks like a very safe bet to translate.
Yeah but I want Gibbs in the first and LaPorta in the second…

That’s what I thought was possible this morning!

Gaede

Reaction score

Dude is plugged in. Safe to say we're getting a TE. Just a question of which one.

reddyuta

Reaction score
BTW i am bummed Brad Sham mentioned Musgrave as a possibilty in his radio spot.