Upon Further Review we beat ourselves against the Giants

Derinyar

Reaction score
Honestly, I think we were a better team then them last year and it wasn't particularly close. I think their defense was designed to stop us, and it did its job pretty well, with some weather assist in the second game. How you build a 1.5 billion dollar stadium and don't enclose it I have no clue.

If you chose to believe luck didn't play into two games which were won by a total of 4 points then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason good teams win a lot of games by 7+ points, its because those games are less influenced by a single random outcome. The second Giants game can basically be boiled down to one play, a broken tackle by ODB and he's off to the races. A 1 point game is obviously influenced by luck to some extent. Is luck the only thing that lead to those loses? No, they out coached/executed us but not to a great extent.

rpntex

Reaction score
Well it seems the run plays were straight up the middle. Nothing fancy and the same old conservative play calling which the Giants could sniff a mile away. I do give create to the Giants defense. However, the playcalling could have been better and most of the play calls ran right into the strength of the Giants.

Uh, go back and look at the play-by-play for the game. Same plays they ran the first half, when Zeke gained 70+ yards. The Giants made the adjustment and shut it down.

Same plays Dallas ran all season long. The variable here was the Giants defense.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Uh, go back and look at the play-by-play for the game. Same plays they ran the first half, when Zeke gained 70+ yards. The Giants made the adjustment and shut it down.

Same plays Dallas ran all season long. The variable here was the Giants defense.

Because Giants kept 8 men in the box and we kept running right into it. We got predictable and never adapted to what the Giants were doing. Yes they have a good defense. But we failed to capitalize on those changes they made during the half.

Primetime42

Reaction score
I think we cracked that egg, and this team is like... really pissed. The Zeke suspension while a major negative, on the flip side, really generated a lot of locker room, pissed off angst, that is becoming very prevalent on how its transcending of play on the field.
I honestly feel that this team has more compassion than Ive seen in years,, its a talent laden team, but now really pissed about the suspensions,, players with a lot of motivation to punch you in the face,, I'm good with that,,, that's what I'm seeing,,, Giants players don't deal with our issues, they have Mara the senator representing them, they go to practice everday with that back rub,, Cowboys are a very pissed off locker room,,, but they are using the anger to get to a much higher place. I spoke to David Wells on Sunday, and that's why I'm posting this here,,
guys like Witten, team leaders are voicing this every day at practice, to other players, not the media, and there is an attitude in every day practice, and it is transcending on game day.
Is that anger in regard to the suspensions or the Mara thing?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You can disagree with me all you want. It doesn't matter.

But what are you are arguing about? I never said that we won. I completely said we lost. So I'm not sure what your point is.

As for the both games, we had our chances and we failed to capitalize on it. Exactly what I've stated also. I've said we could have won both games. Easily. But we were the victim of our own mistakes.

So I'm not sure what your really arguing about here.
my point and your argument is that we beat ourselves. I disagree. Giants beat us. we had our chances. we failed. they stopped us. end of story....to say, we had our chances and we didn't cash in and that we should have could have would have beat them, can be said about giants. they could have should have would have beat us worse if they didn't make mistakes!!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
my point and your argument is that we beat ourselves. I disagree. Giants beat us. we had our chances. we failed. they stopped us. end of story....to say, we had our chances and we didn't cash in and that we should have could have would have beat them, can be said about giants. they could have should have would have beat us worse if they didn't make mistakes!!

Ok we'll just have to agree to disagree.

We could have won also if we didn't make mistakes as well. Especially in the 2nd game - where Dez fumbled and Prescott threw 2 INTs. We missed a field goal before the half. Those are what your discounting and ignoring. Thus we had our opportunities and failed.

Of course the Giants beat us. Never said once they didn't. But they didn't beat us in overpowering us. They didn't overwhelm us. If they were the better team why couldn't they put us away sooner? Otherwise I'd be saying they are better.

We made mistakes in both games to lose. Yet we were close enough to win it. Thus we failed on our part to win it. We beat ourselves.

rpntex

Reaction score
Because Giants kept 8 men in the box and we kept running right into it. We got predictable and never adapted to what the Giants were doing. Yes they have a good defense. But we failed to capitalize on those changes they made during the half.

Okay, now I'm confused. I thought the point was that the Cowboys stopped running the ball the second half...Now (if I understand you correctly), you're saying Dallas continued to run the ball against the Giants and their 8-man front? So which is it?

I'm gonna state my point one more time, then I'll leave it alone...

The Giants' defensive adjustments stonewalled Zeke in the 2nd half, so the coaching staff decided to open up the offense and throw the ball more. That's a rational reaction to what the Giants were doing - a decision you can't cite as blame on the staff. The only problem was that (on this particular evening) Dak couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. The Giants (not the Cowboys coaching staff) rendered the Cowboy offense one-dimensional, and that one dimension was ineffective because Dak had a bad night. Credit goes to the Giants.