US Men's National Team

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Furboy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    Exactly. Goes back to USSF and SUM though. Until the federation realizes that you cannot approach this sport like other American sports, they will continue to fail on the field.

Furboy likes this.
  2. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Zone Supporter

6,060 Messages
    7,913 Likes Received
    We need skilled athletes. lol Soccers players are great athletes and probably the most fit of any major sport.

Furboy likes this.
  3. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

14,457 Messages
    12,211 Likes Received
    They don’t need athletes? Ooookkkkk

4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

25,788 Messages
    4,686 Likes Received
    It isn't an either/or situation. They need better skilled players and they need better athletes. If you have to choose between the two, then yes of course you pick the better skilled guys. The US team lacks both at this point.

visionary and Furboy like this.
  5. StylisticS

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    My point is this game does not rely on athletes like football or basketball. It relies on skills and technical ability way more. You can be athletic all you want. If your touch is crap, you won’t amount to anything in the sport. Sorry.

6. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

14,457 Messages
    12,211 Likes Received
    Hmm I think every sport needs skilled athletes don’t they? Anyway nothing to argue about.

Doomsday likes this.
  7. StylisticS

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    I'm not talking about them just running around the field. If that constitutes athletic, than I guess we do need that. But when people talk about athletic ability as it compares to American sport players, you need to run the fastest, jump the highest, and perform like they perform in our football and in basketball. You rarely need to show that in soccer in large bursts at least.

I mean there is no forward that I have seen that has the technical ability and skill as Lacazette on this goal.

Or this from Firminho.

8. StylisticS

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    You're missing the point so it's whatever.

9. atlantacowboy

6,060 Messages
    7,913 Likes Received
    You need a lot of athletic ability to acquire the technical ability and skill of which you speak. The problem in the US is that the best athletes here do not play soccer. In spain or france, that is not the case.

uvaballa and Furboy like this.
  10. StylisticS

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    I have to disagree with you on here when comparing it to American sports. I am not saying they are not athletic. I am saying your skill and technical ability is more important than your athleticism. The only position where athleticism is key in soccer comparing it to American sports is the goalkeeper since you use both your hands and feet when he is in the box. I also think it’s false to say the only reason the US does not succeed in soccer is because the best athletes play other sports.

11. atlantacowboy

6,060 Messages
    7,913 Likes Received
    To say that a pro soccer player is less of an athlete than a basketball or football player is just pure ignorance and using a very selective definition.

12. StylisticS

13,193 Messages
    4,370 Likes Received
    I did not say that.

13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

27,078 Messages
    8,526 Likes Received
    Athletes really aren't the problem.
    It has been a historic lack of development.
    Now you have had high-priced skills training that is elite but it available to the very few and meant to make money first and foremost.
    The MLS academies have done very very well but the US is in a very young stage right now and the academiss first crops are just now springing so to speak.

That's why the bad loss wasn't really so bad.
    The starting line up was all kids who should factor in or simply be upgraded over the next 4-10 years.
    They were no longer trotting out 30+ year old dudes as they did under Arena trying to qualify.
    18 year old LB as opposed to bringing in a 35 year old?? Yes, please.

My first sport was soccer, I played for Santos FC as a club team.
    I played a lot on Sundays at the park with all grown Hispanic dudes who spoke zero English.
    I couldn't ask them to pass me the ball because the request was made in Spanish slang --"mojado" lololol.

These young US kids playing overseas will be very, very good.
    It is a speed of game we can not really replicate in the US.
    And speed of game and skills development at that pace is the key.

But the US is heqaded inthe right direction and with the right youth plan.
    This isn't unlike England 3-4 years ago. They finally let the kids play and develop and now are very, very good.

Furboy likes this.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

27,078 Messages
    8,526 Likes Received
    One note. Many US middle schools do not have soccer teams at all.
    That is truly stupid and should be corrected.

The reason is the entire "PE staff" coaches football during the same "season".
    So there is often no "free play" option at 6th to 8th grade.
    With CTE being an issue drawing down investment in football to offer soccer is the only responsioble action.
    --I quit soccer and basketball for full-time football in 10th grade but my middle school DID have soccer and I played there in one of the most athlete dense areas of the country. --Dallas Oak Cliff.

All that said girls face the same issues (and have basketball, volleyball, softball and track to peel off great atheltes) but are the best in the world, lol.

Furboy likes this.
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

25,788 Messages
    4,686 Likes Received
    In Texas, high school football is played in the Fall and soccer games begin in January. I would think if a middle school had a team, they too would play in the Spring.

Furboy likes this.