USA Today: It's time to admit Cowboys' Jason Garrett grew into a great head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

waving monkey

Reaction score
how is garrett a great coach yet? this team still cannot advance when they make the playoffs. only two playoff wins and a 13-3 one and done. until the cowboys make a conference championship game and maybe a superbowl will I consider garrett a great coach. garrett can wn a lot of games in the season but winning playoffs games is what makes great coach to me.
the past is gone
be here now Baba Ram Dass:cool:

Zman5

Reaction score
What 2 playoff wins are you referring to?

2010.....Garrett interim HC, no playoffs
2011.....8-8 and no playoffs
2012.....8-8 and no playoffs
2013.....8-8 and no playoffs
2014.....beat Detroit in wildcard round, lost to GB
2015.....Without Romo team went into the toilet
2016.....despite having HFA, lost first game

I see just one playoff win here and a whole bunch of nothing everywhere else.

I was thinking about the win vs the EaGirls when he was the OC. My bad.

haleyrules

Reaction score
No question he has improved over time. Personally, I need to see a more complete team with a solid defense that consistently goes deep into the playoffs before I start throwing around the G word.
WTH..A percyhoward sighting!! Where have you been??

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Let's pump the brakes on Garret being great. He has went from terrible to decent in my opinion. He has played a role in making this roster much much better. You can disagree on how much influence he has there but the fact remains it has happened on his watch.

I still fault his game day coaching decisions and he's not without criticism in regards to the roster. For example, how is kellen Moore still this teams backup QB when he was outplayed and outclassed in training camp by Cooper Rush?
parnoidthe-office-shakes.gif

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
'Great' is subjective, and overused, and still not applicable to a guy who hasn't been to a conference championship game even yet, I agree. 'Great' can wait.

But it is nice to see this conversation moving in the right direction for the team. We've gone from terms like 'imbecile' and 'worst coach in the entire league' and worse to debating whether or not the term 'great' is premature. That means the improvement of the team is showing up for everybody.

Which is great.

Between garrets improvements, but more importantly, him being relegated or stripped down to only what he does well, I do feel like the cowboys can win it all with Garrett as head coach....IF they have the best team and talent. They are getting close to that. I'm not sure that is saying a lot.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between garrets improvements, but more importantly, him being relegated or stripped down to only what he does well, I do feel like the cowboys can win it all with Garrett as head coach....IF they have the best team and talent. They are getting close to that. I'm not sure that is saying a lot.

That's a monumental shift from where you've been previously.

Let's both just hope the team delivers and we can continue to have the debate about the coach with more and more evidence accumulating on my side of the argument. Then, at some point, it won't matter.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's a monumental shift from where you've been previously.

Let's both just hope the team delivers and we can continue to have the debate about the coach with more and more evidence accumulating on my side of the argument. Then, at some point, it won't matter.

As long as the cowboys keep winning and looking good, you won't hear a whole lot out of complaints out of me.

But I wouldn't call it monumental. I'm giving Garrett credit for what he does and does well. Which is not much in my opinion. With the other coordinators running both sides of the ball, McClay running the draft, and the talent coming in, it's getting harder and harder to screw it up. But Garrett has settled in. And the continuity thing is working.

But let's be honest.....you take Prescott out of the equation and this is a 8-8 team again. That one hit in the 4th round did wonders. Other talent as well.

sbark

Reaction score
As Parcels would say....you are what you are until you prove otherwise.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we can tap the breaks on this declaration...if not stomp on the breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.