USA Today: It's time to admit Cowboys' Jason Garrett grew into a great head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Them

Reaction score
...I've always liked JG...I know he will give it his all to get the job done... jus' sayin'.:star:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question he has improved over time. Personally, I need to see a more complete team with a solid defense that consistently goes deep into the playoffs before I start throwing around the G word.

'Great' is subjective, and overused, and still not applicable to a guy who hasn't been to a conference championship game even yet, I agree. 'Great' can wait.

But it is nice to see this conversation moving in the right direction for the team. We've gone from terms like 'imbecile' and 'worst coach in the entire league' and worse to debating whether or not the term 'great' is premature. That means the improvement of the team is showing up for everybody.

Which is great.

Zman5

Reaction score
It is not the same because you don't feel like it? LOL As I said I'm not claiming Garrett future will be successful like that fact is we don't know NONE OF US KNOW!!! But fact are facts it is not spun, Belichick was not looked at as some football god early in his career as a HC that is fact, he has earned it over a period of time.

If you can't see the difference between working seven years total at two different organization vs working seven years at one place, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Besides, it's ridiculous to think just because Belichick was able to win a SB in his 7th year as HC, that any HC can do it. For every Bill Belichick, there is Marvin Lewis.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If you can't see the difference between working seven years total at two different organization vs working seven years at one place, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Besides, it's ridiculous to think just because Belichick was able to win a SB in his 7th year as HC, that any HC can do it. For every Bill Belichick, there is Marvin Lewis.

Fine compare the 1st 5 years they coached if it makes you feel better, does not change the fact that many questioned Belichick as a HC until he proved otherwise. Every idiot with a remote control sitting in front of the TV knew how to coach better than him yet all of that changed. I have never stated that Garrett will have the same success only time will tell.

Eddie

Reaction score
Yeah, make the Super Bowl ... great will happen if he wins it. Otherwise, not so great.

Zman5

Reaction score
Fine compare the 1st 5 years they coached if it makes you feel better, does not change the fact that many questioned Belichick as a HC until he proved otherwise. Every idiot with a remote control sitting in front of the TV knew how to coach better than him yet all of that changed. I have never stated that Garrett will have the same success only time will tell.

Any comparison between the two is ridiculous, but if YOU want to compare HCs, try comparing apples to apples. If anything, Marvin Lewis is the better comparison to JG since they've been with the same team throughout their HC career and hasn't had any postseason success.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Any comparison between the two is ridiculous, but if YOU want to compare HCs, try comparing apples to apples. If anything, Marvin Lewis is the better comparison to JG since they've been with the same team throughout their HC career and hasn't had any postseason success.

Why is Lewis better because it fits your agenda? At that time in Belichick career he was the so called "Marvin Lewis" until later when he was able to get Brady and the Pats to the SB. Before that as a HC what had he done? Not a damn thing. It is easy to look at a great coach as Belichick and see the accomplishments he has now, that happened later on but that is not what was being said at the time his teams were losing.

Zman5

Reaction score
Why is Lewis better because it fits your agenda? At that time in Belichick career he was the so called "Marvin Lewis" until later when he was able to get Brady and the Pats to the SB. Before that as a HC what had he done? Not a damn thing. It is easy to look at a great coach as Belichick and see the accomplishments he has now, that happened later on but that is not what was being said at the time his teams were losing.

Marvin Lewis has been the HC for ONE team (Bengals) with no postseason success.
JG has been the HC for ONE team (Cowboys) with no postseason success.
Belichick has been the HC for TWO teams (Browns, Pats) with multiple SB wins.

You can't see which two are more similar? So are you going to say Marvin Lewis is another Belichick too?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Marvin Lewis has been the HC for ONE team (Bengals) with no postseason success.
JG has been the HC for ONE team (Cowboys) with no postseason success.
Belichick has been the HC for TWO teams (Browns, Pats) with multiple SB wins.

You can't see which two are more similar? So are you going to say Marvin Lewis is another Belichick too?

Belichick was fired is the only difference. Yes he would go on to win with NE over a period of time. In 94 with the Browns he would go 11-5 and in 95 was 5-11 and end up getting fired.

I have not said anywhere that Garrett will succeed or fail all I have said is unless you can see into the future none of us know what Garrett career will turn out to be. Only difference you point to is he went to a second team, and???

Zman5

Reaction score
Belichick was fired is the only difference. Yes he would go on to win with NE over a period of time. In 94 with the Browns he would go 11-5 and in 95 was 5-11 and end up getting fired.

I have not said anywhere that Garrett will succeed or fail all I have said is unless you can see into the future none of us know what Garrett career will turn out to be. Only difference you point to is he went to a second team, and???

So using your logic, you'd have no problem with someone saying Marvin Lewis can be the next Bill Belichick?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
well its hardly difficult to understand that the players play the game
coaches coach.

In literature,politics and such they call this historical context That sound a little high falutin in the game of football but its same thing.
What Garrett did in those pitiful o/line years was smart coaching while he figured out the details.

As bad as those ol were the defense as a whole was worse.

8-8 in 2012 was remarkable.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2012.htm

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So using your logic, you'd have no problem with someone saying Marvin Lewis can be the next Bill Belichick?

Lewis has been the HC in Cinn 14 years entering his 15 season with little to show for it. Will Lewis every win a championship? I don't know. Could Garrett career mimic that of Lewis? sure, could it mirror that of Belichick? sure or it could fall somewhere in between, There is no way of knowing unless you have some crystal ball. Both Lewis and Belichick are older and been doing it much longer but you can look at where each man is at the same point of their careers. Belichick at the same point of his career as Garrett is now and looking at his accomplishment? there were none as a HC

Zman5

Reaction score
Lewis has been the HC in Cinn 14 years entering his 15 season with little to show for it. Will Lewis every win a championship? I don't know. Could Garrett career mimic that of Lewis? sure, could it mirror that of Belichick? sure or it could fall somewhere in between, There is no way of knowing unless you have some crystal ball. Both Lewis and Belichick are older and been doing it much longer but you can look at where each man is at the same point of their careers. Belichick at the same point of his career as Garrett is now and looking at his accomplishment? there were none as a HC

OK. From your first post, it sounded like you were implying that JG career will be just like Belichick's. From your above post, I understand now you were saying it could be either like Lewis or Belichick's career. That I agree with.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
One career playoff win........yea, dude is a stud

He is the Marvin Lewis of the NFC, wins just enough games to occasionally make the playoffs and does jack once he is there.

As far as COTY, well good ole Marvin has won that too. Like I said, these two guys are practically mirror images of each other.

lwehlers

Reaction score
http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...s-jason-garrett-grew-into-a-great-head-coach/

You gon’ learn today.

On Sunday, the Dallas Cowboys solved a riddle that had befuddled them twice the previous season. The New York Giants came to town, winner of the last three head-to-head contests and the only team in the division to win a Super Bowl in recent memory. With their elite quarterback in Eli Manning, the division rivals seemed to have the Cowboys number.

No sir, not today.

how is garrett a great coach yet? this team still cannot advance when they make the playoffs. only two playoff wins and a 13-3 one and done. until the cowboys make a conference championship game and maybe a superbowl will I consider garrett a great coach. garrett can wn a lot of games in the season but winning playoffs games is what makes great coach to me.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Great??? uhhh, noo...a "great" coach that has a Zeke Elliott on the roster doesn't pass 3 straight time when they're !st and goal at the 5 yard line.....improving? For the most part yes but not in the "great" category.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Great coaches win playoff games. 2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is pathetic.

What 2 playoff wins are you referring to?

2010.....Garrett interim HC, no playoffs
2011.....8-8 and no playoffs
2012.....8-8 and no playoffs
2013.....8-8 and no playoffs
2014.....beat Detroit in wildcard round, lost to GB
2015.....Without Romo team went into the toilet
2016.....despite having HFA, lost first game

I see just one playoff win here and a whole bunch of nothing everywhere else.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Great? ... we're on the right track, just wish we'd make it to the NFCC game again. I like the team as a whole though. Lots of luck too I might add after Romo with Dak.

Status
Not open for further replies.