USFL football

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I did watch some of the USFL when it first started in 1982-83. The league was signing a lot of big-name college players like Steve Young, Reggie White and Herschel Walker just to name a few. The USFL was out to compete with the NFL. I watched several LA Express games with Steve Young. That team was fun to watch with him at QB. He had a game where he had over 300 yards passing and over 100 yards rushing. TV had yet to become a 24 hour marathon of programming with hundreds of channels so I followed the LA Express for awhile.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Football is Football....I still enjoy junior high games....that's where I learned how to coach.
I also help one of my former players with his 9 year olds teams.
That's good to know, I'm sure those young players appreciate having you around to teach them.. But for me, I can't enjoy the game unless it's played at the highest levels of College & NFL.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I'll never understand why the NFL doesn't do a minor league. Every team has a practice squad. Allow them to field a full practice team for the spring.

They don't want to spend any of their money on it....greedy filthy rich people. This would take a pretty big investment. Its hard enough to get them to increase roster sizes. They rather use college football as their minor league system, no money out of their pocket and let colleges cultivate the talent.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I know they both are broadcasting games, so maybe only because it was opening night, they both had it. and each will have different games after this.
yeah they were copying the 1st SB which was also on 2 networks back then.
After this 4 networks share the games. fox, nbc, fs1, usa will all have some of the games.

it is only 10 weeks long, all played at that same stadium , and all reside in that same town.
So no travel expenses, they all share the stadium and whatever other facilities they have, so it does reduce costs, and they will televise all games, so they make some money
with that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'd like to know how many Ex NFL players they have.
evidently a lot, but they are practice squad guys and some who actually played in nfl but at some point were cut.

I didnt see any lack of talent, except the qb's were not exactly rodgers or brady, but they were decent.

thing is the only difference it nfl guys are bigger ,and faster than the guys we will see here.
the guy who caught the first long pass and td pass was pretty good at catching the ball.

also the goal posts are not as wide as nfl, so harder to make .

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
One thing I'll never get about these minor league football leagues is why can't ANY of them come up with uniforms and logs that aren't complete trash? Like they just scream "minor league". Looks like Madden create-a-team stuff.

Just makes the whole product feel cheap.

I didnt really mind the unis.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I'd like to know how many Ex NFL players they have.

There actually are a lot...but most were bottom of the barrel and practice squad guys. Trey Williams and Osiris Mitchell from Dallas, Scooby Wright, etc. Clayton Thorsen is a starting QB...he was here for a while.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Mybtake is it wasnt horrible...I wont make a regilar habit of watching but if I am home and just chilling I'll probably flip it on.

CWR

Reaction score
That's good to know, I'm sure those young players appreciate having you around to teach them.. But for me, I can't enjoy the game unless it's played at the highest levels of College & NFL.

You'll get in a lot of trouble talking like that in the great state of Texas. Lol