Value of the DT's

kskboys

Reaction score
I said Ed Oliver helps. As in generally speaking on defensive tackles.

But both teams have beast DTs in Oliver and Buckner
Absolutely!!! And the unsung heroes in the guys beside them that help make it possible. Which is where Jerry is completely lost.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's something I've been thinking about with the draft coming up. Aaron Donald was a 13 overall pick. I'd take him over anyone picked ahead of him.
Same draft as we took Zack Martin.

Dallas loved Donald.

As much as I love Martin as a player and he is a likely HOF guy, he isn't much of a difference maker right now.

Instead of moving up a few slots, which would cost maybe a 3rd, or a 3rd and a 5th.....they don't do it.

Probably because they were completely burned on Claiborne.

They used to kind of go for things back then (which was sign a high priced corner and deal up for another to fit the scheme of the DC they fired a few months later, but.....). Not so much anymore. Its draft and bargain bin.

Seems to coincide with the influence of the kid.

I don't know that we are any better in any kind of way by thinking things get better when Jerry is gone.

If we've tasted that "secret sauce" yet, it ain't very good.

Mind you if I worked for the local media, I would bring up that term at every opportunity....and I also would no longer have a job.

That answers plenty as to why Jerry gets away with what he does.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
INDY just stuffed BUFF's 3rd and 1 attempt, and is now on a long drive and inside the 5. You absolutely MUST be able to stop teams on 3rd down, and it starts w/ being dominant up front. If you don't have quality DT's, it just doesn't matter all that much what else you have on D.
exactly. yards are important...however, having the ability to get off the field is more important....which comes down to 3rd down conversion rate, turnovers, sacks and pressures......

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Yeah buddy. Controlling the LOS is absolutely necessary in the playoffs. Year after year, it holds true.
Like you, @kskboys, I'm hopeful about upgrading DT - especially 1T - thanks to the fact that McCarthy seems to value the position.
I'd like to see them double-dip there - a quality FA (doesn't HAVE to be a superstar, but a proven, good starter) and a top 100 pick in the draft.
Not interested in bringing McCoy or Woods back, to be honest, and wouldn't outright pencil in Hill, either.
Gallimore has the potential to be a well-rounded starter in time, IMO.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Assuming they stick with a 3-4, the immediate need is a NT. Anyone take a top NT with that first pick? I have no idea who that would be so I'm hesitant to speculate.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
Assuming they stick with a 3-4, the immediate need is a NT. Anyone take a top NT with that first pick? I have no idea who that would be so I'm hesitant to speculate.
There are some nice NTs in this draft, from what I've read.
Seems that rounds 2-4 is the sweet spot to get a really good one.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
So no one you'd take in the 1st?
In this draft there's not really that type of guy - like a Vita Vea - that would warrant a first, IMO.
IMO there's not really a first round talent at DT in general this year, but a ton of guys that would warrant a 2-4th round pick, which is why that area looks like a sweet spot.

cowboyec

Reaction score
when you don't have them you get desperate and will sign anyone.
☆Jordan Davis,Georgia
☆Christian Barmore,Bama
☆Marvin Wilson,Fsu
☆Jordan Williams,Clemson
☆Bobby Brown,A&M
☆Alim McNeill,NC St

just gimmie 1 of'm...please and thank you.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I never get the hype around the DEs. While it’s flashy, get me that interior push any time. That creates more sacks anyways, forcing the QBs to move laterally. That’s why Brees often gets disrupted in the playoffs. He’s so short, so any team that can get even a slight push forces him out.

That's why i was mad irving gave up football because of weed lol. Irving was a beast in the middle of our dline.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
when you don't have them you get desperate and will sign anyone.
☆Jordan Davis,Georgia
☆Christian Barmore,Bama
☆Marvin Wilson,Fsu
☆Jordan Williams,Clemson
☆Bobby Brown,A&M
☆Alim McNeill,NC St

just gimmie 1 of'm...please and thank you.
If they don't get a quality DT in FA, I would actually be cool with double dipping there in the draft...
Wilson and McNeill?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
INDY just stuffed BUFF's 3rd and 1 attempt, and is now on a long drive and inside the 5. You absolutely MUST be able to stop teams on 3rd down, and it starts w/ being dominant up front. If you don't have quality DT's, it just doesn't matter all that much what else you have on D.

Not according to the cowboys for atleast the last 10 years.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Jerry and a pile of other NFL guys have this idea that all DT's must be 6-5 to be effective. One of the dumbest ideas every bought into by NFL level people.

How many DTs are that tall? Only Irving/ Cox is probably that tall and effective .