Value of the DT's

kskboys

Reaction score
I never understood why they always pass up some of these mid to late round run stuffing DTs like Ford, Tim Settle, Nnadi and Saunders (KC drafted both!).
There are always a handful of good ones in every draft.
A handful in this next draft, too.
I like Marvin Wilson DT from FSU, myself.
It simply does not make sense. The last 1 tech type I remember us drafting was some big dude in the 7th. Not counting Josh Brent in the supp draft. Lissmore was a 7th.

Funny thing is, we play subpar 1 techs like Woods, Brent, and Lissmore and our run D immediately gets better, but we don't even seem to notice.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It simply does not make sense. The last 1 tech type I remember us drafting was some big dude in the 7th. Not counting Josh Brent in the supp draft. Lissmore was a 7th.

Funny thing is, we play subpar 1 techs like Woods, Brent, and Lissmore and our run D immediately gets better, but we don't even seem to notice.
They did draft 1T Joey Ivie in 7th round 2017 and a 3T Jordan Carrell in the same round that year. Marinelli just kept rolling snake eyes.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Ivie may be their idea of a 1 tech, but he really wasn't.
Well the Falcons, Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans, and Browns have all given him a shot since. He just wasn't good enough. I remember Booger McFarland was high on him at that spot. Maybe he just bought what Marinelli was selling but people thought he could play it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah buddy. Controlling the LOS is absolutely necessary in the playoffs. Year after year, it holds true.
Like you, @kskboys, I'm hopeful about upgrading DT - especially 1T - thanks to the fact that McCarthy seems to value the position.
I'd like to see them double-dip there - a quality FA (doesn't HAVE to be a superstar, but a proven, good starter) and a top 100 pick in the draft.
Not interested in bringing McCoy or Woods back, to be honest, and wouldn't outright pencil in Hill, either.
Gallimore has the potential to be a well-rounded starter in time, IMO.

Likely McCoy is back el cheapo, and so is Woods. He was our best DT, and he's cheap. I don't see getting rid of him. On the bright side, they did bring in Poe, hoping to move on from Woods, so they are likely still looking to upgrade.

I wonder what tender they'll put on Woods. Bet they'll just be inviting teams to take him.

In 2022, Gallimore is likely the best of the lot.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Honestly I think between Hill and Gallimore we are set at 3-tech. We still need a 350 pound pocket cruncher though.

I think the poor overall performance of the defense as a whole may be causing you to overestimate those guys and their impact. I wouldn't be comfortable going into the season with those two as my starters. Neither one is a difference maker and they were there when the defense was still getting run over.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think the poor overall performance of the defense as a whole may be causing you to overestimate those guys and their impact. I wouldn't be comfortable going into the season with those two as my starters. Neither one is a difference maker and they were there when the defense was still getting run over.

Both guys are super young and inexperienced. But both have shown talent. They get penetration and are very active. A lot the defense getting run over had to do with Poe standing around doing nothing and guys generally not being sure what the hell they were doing all year. Let's hope the new coaching staff is able to communicate the message a little clearer than Nolan did. I am not advocating starting them side by side.. more like have them rotate at the 3 tech and MAYBE a few snaps a game at the 1. Or if we switch fulltime to 3-4 they both become DEs bookending the aforementioned 350 pound wrecking ball.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Honestly I think between Hill and Gallimore we are set at 3-tech. We still need a 350 pound pocket cruncher though.

I think Gallimore might be good and Hill has flashed a bit, but he mostly got destroyed. For that reason, I still would want a vet 3T, even if it would be cheap like McCoy, just to be insurance that Gallimore keeps improving.
I also think we bring back Woods, but mostly to bide time for our rookie to be ready to carry the load. There should be some really nice 1T guys on the board in rounds 2-4. This is the year to get one.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Both guys are super young and inexperienced. But both have shown talent. They get penetration and are very active. A lot the defense getting run over had to do with Poe standing around doing nothing and guys generally not being sure what the hell they were doing all year. Let's hope the new coaching staff is able to communicate the message a little clearer than Nolan did. I am not advocating starting them side by side.. more like have them rotate at the 3 tech and MAYBE a few snaps a game at the 1. Or if we switch fulltime to 3-4 they both become DEs bookending the aforementioned 350 pound wrecking ball.

They could improve given less assignments. Hill really struggled with 2 gapping, so just giving him 1 gap could help. I think once Gallimore got more playing time they had abandoned the 2 gapping they were doing earlier in the year.

I don't dislike them, but I'd be hesitant staying put when they were part of the problem. I'm ever hopeful they will one day prioritize the interior defensive line. Getting an actual disruptive force in the middle would be the biggest help for this defense.

Granted, they weren't playing in similar schemes, but those two guys together put up numbers worse than Nick Hayden or Cedric Thornton when he was in DAL.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
They could improve given less assignments. Hill really struggled with 2 gapping, so just giving him 1 gap could help. I think once Gallimore got more playing time they had abandoned the 2 gapping they were doing earlier in the year.

I don't dislike them, but I'd be hesitant staying put when they were part of the problem. I'm ever hopeful they will one day prioritize the interior defensive line. Getting an actual disruptive force in the middle would be the biggest help for this defense.

Granted, they weren't playing in similar schemes, but those two guys together put up numbers worse than Nick Hayden or Cedric Thornton when he was in DAL.

I agree both of them are much better 1-gappers than they are 2-gappers. One of the reasons I wanted a primarily 1-gap coach.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think Gallimore might be good and Hill has flashed a bit, but he mostly got destroyed. For that reason, I still would want a vet 3T, even if it would be cheap like McCoy, just to be insurance that Gallimore keeps improving.
I also think we bring back Woods, but mostly to bide time for our rookie to be ready to carry the load. There should be some really nice 1T guys on the board in rounds 2-4. This is the year to get one.

This is not a bad plan. I like McCoy as the veteran presence as well. Seems like a good glue guy. Don't forget that Hill is more than a year YOUNGER than Gallimore.. dude still has a lot of physical maturing to do at only.. I like what they both bring but it would not bother me to have more competition brought in.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
If Hill got destroyed what was happening to Gallimore? There was plenty of times Gallimore was taken backwards for multiple yards. Hopefully those were just learning experiences. Hill looked more consistent than Gallimore before his injury. Gallimore did have one game where it looked like the light had come on but that ended up just being the one game.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
INDY just stuffed BUFF's 3rd and 1 attempt, and is now on a long drive and inside the 5. You absolutely MUST be able to stop teams on 3rd down, and it starts w/ being dominant up front. If you don't have quality DT's, it just doesn't matter all that much what else you have on D.
The Cowboys made an attempt to address that this year (McCoy and Poe), but as it turns out it was a poor attempt.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
This is not a bad plan. I like McCoy as the veteran presence as well. Seems like a good glue guy. Don't forget that Hill is more than a year YOUNGER than Gallimore.. dude still has a lot of physical maturing to do at only.. I like what they both bring but it would not bother me to have more competition brought in.
Next year is his 3rd year. Were still waiting for him to mature physically? How long does it take nfl lineman to mature? In year 3 he should be what he will be in his career. Should we wait until his contract year for his heartless *** to play well?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Oliver is on BUFF and someone named him as a COlt.
I think he was saying Colts don't have a player like Ed Oliver. I could have read it wrong but didn't seem like it was saying Ed Oliver is on the Colts.