Vander Esch Way younger than typical rookie

T-RO

Reaction score
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Needless to say, he's relatively raw for one picked in the first round of the NFL draft. Here's hoping he'll fare well in his initial NFL start. Being one of scant experience it may well signal a humble period of introduction into the ways of the NFL. Hopefully, he'll fare reasonably well, considering the challenge of his first big league experience. I'm sure his nerves and abilities will be tested thoroughly by an opponent likely to take advantage of his inexperience. Let's be fully aware of his vulnerability in this, his initial NFL undertaking. If he's fortunate enough to surprise us all, it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
As to be expected, LVE did look like a kid out there tonight. Seemed to miss assignments, was hesitant and looked like a guy who is very inexperienced...in his first preseason game.

It’s possible he’ll make a big jump by Game 1. Also possible his rookie season could look like Taco’s did last year, not showin up until late in the season.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.
With all due respect, I just threw up in my mouth. Back in my day, you were a man in every sense of the word by the time you were 18, and an experienced man able to handle the rigors of life by the time you were 21.

T-RO

Reaction score
With all due respect, I just threw up in my mouth. Back in my day, you were a man in every sense of the word by the time you were 18, and an experienced man able to handle the rigors of life by the time you were 21.

Rookies aren’t NFL men, with few exceptions. Dont’ know what’s hard about that to understand or appreciate. Drivers licenses and collection of birthdays got nothing to do w/it.

Carter

Reaction score

We are not living back in the day though. Back in the Day Kids started working when they were 13. Nowadys most 21 yr olds only know their Play Station and Netflix and have never changed a wheel on a car let alone a bicycle.

AtlCPA

Reaction score
We are not living back in the day though. Back in the Day Kids started working when they were 13. Nowadys most 21 yr olds only know their Play Station and Netflix and have never changed a wheel on a car let alone a bicycle.
Most kids today are still living at home at 21.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That being said you cant put the same Standard on These "Kids". They are still Kids at 21. So LVE with only 30 Games of 11 Men Football under his belt will take a lot of time to develop.

He has the Body of a Grown Man. Just Needs to get the Smarts and Brain now.
Actually, you could put the same standard with today's "kids", but they wouldn't be able to handle it since many are not used to it.

T-RO

Reaction score
Jaylon was just as lost for much of last year. Linebackers gotta read offenses that try to disguise and misdirect in countless ways. Sean Lees aren’t built in a day.

I expect LVE to be very good...but he may need more muscle mass and a year of experience to get decent. But his speed, frame, jump, burst...are elite.