Vander Esch Way younger than typical rookie

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You could still hit a growth spurt at 21, so even apart from all the "back in my day" mularkey, he's not even physically mature yet.
I was clearly referring to intellectual maturity. Guess I have to type it out in bold letters for some.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I was clearly referring to intellectual maturity. Guess I have to type it out in bold letters for some.
No, I got it. It's "mularkey," but I can type that out in bold if you'd like.

"Back in my day" commentary is Mularkey.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.

He looked like a rookie but the elite physical ability was more than obvious.

The play where the RB had a big gain going towards the offensive right was primarily on Vander Esch. Yes, the penetrating DE needs to make the play or slow the RB just a bit more; however, that's the Marinelli style. In his system, the DE sometimes has the "go" to rush into the backfield and not have absolute end contain.

Vander Esch checked-up early instead of getting outside. That play would be a very easy "read" for a veteran LB. It would obvious the RB had to go outside. The penetration forced that issue. There was plenty of help behind Vander Esch including the other LB if the RB was somehow able to cut back inside.

Luckily, Jaylon looked worlds better than last season both mentally and physically. Jaylon will likely start at MLB but Vander Esch will get snaps and probably more snaps each week. Marinelli said he would like a 3-man rotation for the 2 primary LB spots. Keeping Lee healthy if they get to the playoffs has to be a top focus for the coaches.

DiResta

Reaction score
if Jaylon had been the 'top 10' pick, i believe his first year yeah he would have been one of the fastest if not the fastest linebackers playing, and he would have some great plays
he would also have lots of times where he got blocked out of the play and would have struggled to get off blocks -that was his reported downside

that year in therapy let him build strength, combine that with last year even though he wasnt well he still had a full season in a nfl weight room and it shows
now when he hits linemen it moves them, he ******* strong
combine that with the speed... the complete package

Vander Esch has the frame, hes going to look very different after a couple of years

i also think like maybe Vince Young he looks like he isnt that fast but he has a long stride and is covering lots of ground

Praxit

Reaction score
We are not living back in the day though. Back in the Day Kids started working when they were 13. Nowadys most 21 yr olds only know their Play Station and Netflix and have never changed a wheel on a car let alone a bicycle.
..Dangerously true. Im witnessing it right now.

T-RO

Reaction score
No, I got it. It's "mularkey," but I can type that out in bold if you'd like.

"Back in my day" commentary is Mularkey.

I wasn’t the one making that commentary, but there’s a lot of truth to the disparity.

Kids who isolate themselves playing video games (which constantly tell them they are great), school systems which are crap, helicopter moms and dads, easy tech, easy money, chat communication versus real communication...most kids aren’t growing up as fast as they did. Malarkey? It’s a widely known fact virtually any employer or sociologist can affirm.

But that’s not what this thread is about. I haven’t seen or heard about LVE lacking maturity for his age. But he is 21. Reality is his body is new to him and much of the sport is new to him.

And most rookies look lost in their first preseason game. Awuzie looked the same in his preseason debut last season. Jaylon took a year w/mental stuff.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I wasn’t the one making that commentary, but there’s a lot of truth to the disparity.

Kids who isolate themselves playing video games (which constantly tell them they are great), school systems which are crap, helicopter moms and dads, easy tech, easy money, chat communication versus real communication...most kids aren’t growing up as fast as they did. Malarkey? It’s a widely known fact virtually any employer or sociologist can affirm.f.
Blah blah blah blah.

40 years ago, you could make minimum wage doing unskilled labor and buy a home. There's a hell of a lot more going on now than there was then, so comparing someone who is 18 today to someone who was 18 then is silly. Every generation says the same thing about the next one and it's all poppycock.

Sydla

Reaction score
The reality is you have to get something this season out of your 19th pick. If we don't, then that really calls into question drafting the kid.

NOTE: I am not saying he won't develop and be an impact player immediately for us. Just pointing out it would be a disappointing pick, at least early, if the 19th pick can't get on the field and help his team right from the start.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
wjzlvizlufq6j4rifgez.jpg

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Sean Lee is the caliber of student of the game that Romo was, if anyone's going to tutor our brand new LBer into becoming a stud ASAP, it's him.

this is the main reason i didnt mind the LVE pick, Knowing Sean Lee is here to help, made it a pick that was worth it. Still mad we missed on James. This pick isnt Brady James

Sydla

Reaction score
this is the main reason i didnt mind the LVE pick, Knowing Sean Lee is here to help, made it a pick that was worth it. Still mad we missed on James. This pick isnt Brady James

Ugh James. That would have been a real gift to have him fall to us.

He's running with the #1s after battling some hamstring soreness in San Diego.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.
All reasons not to draft him at #19 .... we can only hope he develops into the projection

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Crazy talent, great work ethic, and coaches that are great at teaching fundamentals (suck at scheming though). Hes going to be good.

T-RO

Reaction score
Blah blah blah blah.

40 years ago, you could make minimum wage doing unskilled labor and buy a home. There's a hell of a lot more going on now than there was then, so comparing someone who is 18 today to someone who was 18 then is silly. Every generation says the same thing about the next one and it's all poppycock.

Go to any HR director and share your view. See the reaction you get.

I’m not bashing millineals. It is what it is. I’m more unhappy with indulgent, protective parents and misguided educators. Facebook.

And hey...I’m a guy in favor of Universal Basic Income.

T-RO

Reaction score
All reasons not to draft him at #19 .... we can only hope he develops into the projection

Cowboys saw physical traits and ceiling other players didn’t have. And we’ll need to replace Lee in a few years.

We’ll see how it turns out.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Go to any HR director and share your view. See the reaction you get.

I’m not bashing millineals. It is what it is. I’m more unhappy with indulgent, protective parents and misguided educators. Facebook.

And hey...I’m a guy in favor of Universal Basic Income.
Ask them what?

I partner with HR all the time and they just say that millenials are different, not that they don't work as hard or any of that. By and large, they don't want anything to do with an older generation that thinks so little of them.

T-RO

Reaction score
Ask them what?

I partner with HR all the time and they just say that millenials are different, not that they don't work as hard or any of that. By and large, they don't want anything to do with an older generation that thinks so little of them.

Again...I’m not a millineal basher. At all! I sympathize big time with a number of factors they face, including universities that rape them of their futures with 80,000$ tuitions...and the emerging job threats of AI. I’m rooting for millineals...wanting them to succeed.

It’s a simple reality: growth comes through challenge. Our world has removed much of the healthy challenges from growing-up-years... And then millineals get dumped into a heaping mountain of challenge when they graduate. They haven’t been prepared.

Note: I also admire and respect some of the millineal’s sensibilities: micro-houses, bicycles > cars, etc.

Last edited:

revospeed

Reaction score
He looked a lot better than Jaylon did in the Rams game last year. He missed a bunch of reads and could look better getting off blocks, but his athletic ability definitely showed.