Vander Esch Way younger than typical rookie

Swanny

Reaction score
With all due respect, I just threw up in my mouth. Back in my day, you were a man in every sense of the word by the time you were 18, and an experienced man able to handle the rigors of life by the time you were 21.
Handling the rigors of life and playing football at a pro level with the majority league on PEDs are 2 completely different things.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The good news is we have 2 other guys ahead of him that should give him time to develop a little bit.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
LVE had some really negative snaps. Missteps after the snap, struggling to get through blockers and he is clearly thinking too much.
But he reads pass and the dude is as fluid as I've seen in coverage. Once he gets it and can be the one to just play, he will be a missile on D.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I was told when he was drafted he was the next Brian Urlacher. Now its he needs time to develop. Which is it?

I hope he becomes a top player but he wasn't drafted to be developed. He was supposed to be a plug and play guy.

jrumann59

Reaction score
But then there was that kid that was taking Chaz Green's lunch money all game taylor, who was oft injured in college and didn't play football until his senior year.

John813

Reaction score
I was told when he was drafted he was the next Brian Urlacher. Now its he needs time to develop. Which is it?

I hope he becomes a top player but he wasn't drafted to be developed. He was supposed to be a plug and play guy.

The biggest knock on him was his lack of playing football, period. He played 8 v8 in High school. Started one year in CFB. Expecting him to be a stud off the bat is reaching.
He can be a great player, in time, but needs time to develop. It can be both.
Taco was drafted to be developed. Same with LVE to a degree.

The nickel is the new base formation. Lee* is a lock. Smith is entering his 3rd year/2nd playing year. Both as of now have the upper hand on LVE. LVE should be sprinkled in early on and hopefully earn more playing time as the year goes on. But he wasn't going to be getting starter snaps/playing 100% of the time when we have a healthy Lee/Smith.

But then there was that kid that was taking Chaz Green's lunch money all game taylor, who was oft injured in college and didn't play football until his senior year.

Chaz Green sucks.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well, trading up for James or Edmunds would of been the best move, but I hope the best out of him.

It would have cost us at least Gallup so we will see.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I think he didn't put 100% effort on purpose or as instructed by the coaches. It was clear he is not there to attack. You could see he was not engaging in tackles that much.
I think they put him there w/o Lee or Jaylon to let him see how offenses run, how he lays the defensive calls to his teammate .. That was the main purpose of him being there

:cool:

Piledriver

Reaction score
Consider how very young Vander Esch is as a football player and as a linebacker

-He was drafted after his junior year

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.
Sounds like you have your excuse machine all ready to go.

We drafted this guy over High end WR talent - nobody cares that he’s a farmer from Boise.

John813

Reaction score
Sounds like you have your excuse machine all ready to go.

We drafted this guy over High end WR talent - nobody cares that he’s a farmer from Boise.

High end? Possibly. But there was no elite can't miss guy in this draft. The talk was that you could possibly find a receiver in day 2 that didn't have much of a drop off from the guys taken in round 1.
OTOH Linebacker was deep this class too. But few had the measurables that Smith, Edwards or LVE had
IIRC McClay led the charge on taking LVE.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
With all due respect, I just threw up in my mouth. Back in my day, you were a man in every sense of the word by the time you were 18, and an experienced man able to handle the rigors of life by the time you were 21.
You could still hit a growth spurt at 21, so even apart from all the "back in my day" mularkey, he's not even physically mature yet.

Piledriver

Reaction score
High end? Possibly. But there was no elite can't miss guy in this draft. The talk was that you could possibly find a receiver in day 2 that didn't have much of a drop off from the guys taken in round 1.
OTOH Linebacker was deep this class too. But few had the measurables that Smith, Edwards or LVE had
IIRC McClay led the charge on taking LVE.
DJ Moore is can’t miss. - Calvin Ridley is an absolute star from the premier football factory ....
And we draft Jim Schwantz II

Piledriver

Reaction score
You could still hit a growth spurt at 21, so even apart from all the "back in my day" mularkey, he's not even physically mature yet.
I went from 6 ‘2 ‘ to 6 ‘5 ‘ from 17-21 , you are correct .

davidariust24

Reaction score

-In high school LVE played 8 man football for tiny school. Wasn’t primarily a linebacker.

-With redshirting, injuries and delays getting into the lineup....He only played one full season as college linebacker. One. ONE!

-Guy is still getting used to his body and size. He was just 210 pounds just a couple of years ago.

-From a small town and then onto Boise State...he’s more country kid than anything. Emphasis: kid.

I won’t be suprised if it takes some time for LVE to go from kid to starting linebacker NFL man. I’ll enjoy his journey.

He and jaylon will be studs. Like urlacher and Briggs, Willis and Bowman. It's great to have them

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

To add to what you said, he had only played 32 games of 11 man FB in his life before last night's game...32! He is going to grow and his ascent will be fast.

pacboyX

Reaction score
I like what I saw from him last night though...

?

What did you see? He looked lost and nonexistent. I think Bobby Carpenter actually looked better then him in his first preseason game and that’s a statement. Yea sure in 3 years he could be good, but that’s 2nd round investment talk.
Meanwhile I questioned last night if we even had safeties on the field. So we have to sit here and hope to give up future draft picks to bring in a og certified safety instead of making small move for young experienced safety in Derwin.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
?

What did you see? He looked lost and nonexistent. I think Bobby Carpenter actually looked better then him in his first preseason game and that’s a statement. Yea sure in 3 years he could be good, but that’s 2nd round investment talk.
Meanwhile I questioned last night if we even had safeties on the field. So we have to sit here and hope to give up future draft picks to bring in a og certified safety instead of making small move for young experienced safety in Derwin.

You are blind LMAO

erod

Reaction score
They think he resembles Rolando McClain in skill set, minus the purple drank.

Rangy guy that can cover downfield.