Veteran Quarterback Needed

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know we are still reeling from a highly disappointing season. Furthermore, I think it is safe to say that we are disappointed by the sophomore campaign of Dak Prescott. However, I do not think that moving on from him is a wise move. Young Quarterbacks tend to have rough seasons early. Even Tom Brady's sophomore campaign as a starter resulted in him missing the playoffs.

I stated this on another thread to another poster, and I came to this realization. Aside from missing the playoffs in 2017, what else did you notice to be missing from the Cowboys that we had in 2016? The answer: a veteran Quarterback. Not as a starter. Though, I would've loved to have had Romo as he was one of my favorite players of all time, but this thread is NOT meant for a Romo vs. Dak debate, so let's not go there. The point of this thread is to point out that, in 2016, Dak had Tony Romo AND Mark Sanchez from whom he could learn the ropes of playing QB in the NFL. He had struggles in 2016, but, he was aided by the fact that he had veteran Quarterbacks to turn to who could help him learn from mistakes and, thereby, retain his confidence as a starter. In 2017, he lacked a veteran QB to whom he could turn in a crisis to seek advice. Therefore, his confidence crumbled after the Falcons game, and he became unreliable.

Thus, if he is to have a successful 2018 campaign, I think it would behoove the Cowboys to acquire the services of a veteran Quarterback for Dak Prescott. After all, even Brady had Bledsoe (as did Romo, oddly enough) to learn from. Obviously, Bledsoe didn't teach Brady EVERYTHING that Brady knows. However, can one really argue that Bledsoe had no effect on Brady?

Here is a list of veteran QBs that are currently set to be FAs in 2018: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2018QB.php. Obviously, some of these QBs will likely be resigned to their present teams such as Drew Brees and Garoppolo (though, that would be MAGNIFICENT if Jerry could manage to bring Brees or Garoppolo here).

On a recent board, I saw that someone mentioned Sam Bradford as a QB. While many delivered some begged to differ with that OP about acquiring Bradford's services, I actually think Sam Bradford could be useful to Dak if acquired. Here's why. He's a solid QB in his own right. If acquired, I think Sam Bradford could be a player to whom Dak could turn. After all, Bradford has quite a bit of experience. Does he get injured a lot? Yes, but Bradford would NOT be here to start. He would be here to serve as a backup to Dak, and as a mentor.

Another Quarterback who could be of useful service to Dak on this list would be Matt Moore. Firstly, let's not forget, Matt Moore was at one time a member of the Cowboys before the geniuses in the front office decided to part ways with him only for him to be a very serviceable backup and quarterback in his own right. Thus, he'd be another player that could be very good to have here to help Dak.

A third Quarterback that I'd recommend as a possibility is Kellen Clemens. Yes, I know he'll be 35 years old by the time training camp begins and will likely retire soon. However, as old as he is, he is still a very serviceable QB, and was a decent player. Like Bradford, he'd be here STRICTLY to backup Dak and serve as a mentor. Mind you, for a few games, Clemens would be a serviceable player if God-forbid something DID happen to Dak for a short period of time. Of course, this is assuming that Clemens doesn't retire.

What say you guys? What QBs on that list would you FEASIBLY like to see as our backup?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
After all, does anyone else think that Garrett can mentor Dak? I don't think so. A veteran QB would be crucial.

DcFootball4

Reaction score
After all, does anyone else think that Garrett can mentor Dak? I don't think so. A veteran QB would be crucial.
I do like this idea, Dak did perform better with Romo helping him. I just wish they would somehow convince Romo to step out of the booth and become the QB coach.. maybe promise him a future OC/HC position like they did with JG. I personally would rather have Romo walking the sidelines honestly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I do like this idea, Dak did perform better with Romo helping him. I just wish they would somehow convince Romo to step out of the booth and become the QB coach.. maybe promise him a future OC/HC position like they did with JG. I personally would rather have Romo walking the sidelines honestly.

I would love for this to be the case, but I just can't foresee Romo leaving the comfort of the broadcast booth. At least not for the foreseeable future. Thus, in the meantime, we have veteran QBs that are set to be FAs such as the ones I mentioned. Why not use them?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would love for this to be the case, but I just can't foresee Romo leaving the comfort of the broadcast booth. At least not for the foreseeable future. Thus, in the meantime, we have veteran QBs that are set to be FAs such as the ones I mentioned. Why not use them?

And, when I say "Veteran QB", players like Weeden, Luke McCown, and Matt Cassell DON'T count. I want a player from whom Dak could ACTUALLY learn. Hence, the players I listed.

DcFootball4

Reaction score

I would love to see it too, but I also dont see if happening. He is like a genius in the booth, calling all the plays and all that, I have never seen so much knowledge before.

DcFootball4

Reaction score
And, when I say "Veteran QB", players like Weeden, Luke McCown, and Matt Cassell DON'T count. I want a player from whom Dak could ACTUALLY learn. Hence, the players I listed.
I agree, we need to bring in a legit Vet to help Dak continue to learn.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would love to see it too, but I also dont see if happening. He is like a genius in the booth, calling all the plays and all that, I have never seen so much knowledge before.

The only person that I can remember having his level of knowledge in the booth is John Madden, and Madden wasn't quite as fun as Romo.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree, we need to bring in a legit Vet to help Dak continue to learn.

I agree. Players like Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Matt Moore, and Ryan Fitzpatrick would be LEGITIMATE Veterans who can help Dak. They'd be able to take over if needed as well should Dak continue to crumble, but I don't think he will. Like I said, there's a reason he went 13-3 in 2016, and it wasn't just because of Zeke (though, that does help). He had to do some of the legwork too, and a veteran QB was there to help. Essentially, Bradford, Clemens, Moore, or Fitzpatrick would be an insurance policy for Dak. Especially considering, as I said, Garrett wouldn't know how to cook a burger much less develop a Quarterback.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak does need someone with experience to mentor him but that is a shaky ground. There really isn't anyone to come in as back-up that would not either cost a ton(Bradford) and/or be a threat(Cousins type) to take his job. I am pretty sure Dallas would not pay a lot for any QB to sit behind Dak.

Fitz is about the only guy who might fill that role, Moore and Clemens are bums. At least, Dak had a year to learn from Tony but I just don't see that same option out there that fits the Cowboys criteria for next season.

I am afraid that he will have to lean on our offensive coaches to further develop :(

DcFootball4

Reaction score
I agree. Players like Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Matt Moore, and Ryan Fitzpatrick would be LEGITIMATE Veterans who can help Dak. They'd be able to take over if needed as well should Dak continue to crumble, but I don't think he will. Like I said, there's a reason he went 13-3 in 2016, and it wasn't just because of Zeke (though, that does help). He had to do some of the legwork too, and a veteran QB was there to help. Essentially, Bradford, Clemens, Moore, or Fitzpatrick would be an insurance policy for Dak. Especially considering, as I said, Garrett wouldn't know how to cook a burger much less develop a Quarterback.

Exactly. Any of those guys would be great, but I would love to see Moore come back and back up Dak. I think they may have given Dak more then he was ready for. I do think Dak is good enough to lead our team, but I think he needs our running game to do their job which would allow him to utilize the play action and read option effectively.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak does need someone with experience to mentor him but that is a shaky ground. There really isn't anyone to come in as back-up that would not either cost a ton(Bradford) and/or be a threat(Cousins type) to take his job. I am pretty sure Dallas would not pay a lot for any QB to sit behind Dak.

Fitz is about the only guy who might fill that role, Moore and Clemens are bums. At least, Dak had a year to learn from Tony but I just don't see that same option out there that fits the Cowboys criteria for next season.

I am afraid that he will have to lean on our offensive coaches to further develop :(

Fitzpatrick is a decent backup. I think that he'd be someone that Dak could learn a great deal from. Though I still think Moore could be a decent player, though he is rather old as is Clemens. Feel free to take a look at the list of QBs in the link I posted. Besides, if the veteran in question is on the field, then either Dak got hurt, or we've decided that Dak's not the answer, and we're therefore tanking. But the QB is there to mentor Dak. Thus, I still have no issue with Clemens orMoore being here if brought in. Besides, Clemens can still play.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Exactly. Any of those guys would be great, but I would love to see Moore come back and back up Dak. I think they may have given Dak more then he was ready for. I do think Dak is good enough to lead our team, but I think he needs our running game to do their job which would allow him to utilize the play action and read option effectively.

Exactly, but I also think a veteran player like Clemens or Moore could be effective in helping him to become more reliable from the pocket as well. The read option and play action are great to be used as weapons. However, what if it's a play where the RB isn't going to do you any good or, worse yet, God-forbid Zeke gets hurt? That's where Dak MUST be able to be effective, and that's where a veteran QB can help Dak. Like you said, he was given more than he was ready for. This was why pushing Romo out the door was rather foolish of our front office. Worse yet, they foolishly thought that a sophomore quarterback didn't need a veteran QB when that's the season when he ABSOLUTELY needs a veteran QB to help him.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Butt Fumbler.
Nobody wants Him as a starter, so He shouldn't be too expensive.
Dak apparently liked Him and praised Him for His help as a rookie and He understands what it's like living with the pressure of being the anointed one.
I agree that a vet back-up would be beneficial, but I think the team doesn't agree and wants to stick with Rush as No.2 and a late draft pick/UFA as No.3.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Butt Fumbler.
Nobody wants Him as a starter, so He shouldn't be too expensive.
Dak apparently liked Him and praised Him for His help as a rookie and He understands what it's like living with the pressure of being the anointed one.
I agree that a vet back-up would be beneficial, but I think the team doesn't agree and wants to stick with Rush as No.2 and a late draft pick/UFA as No.3.

Well, we shall see what the team thinks. Though, they'd be foolish not to give him a veteran QB t help him for the reasons I mentioned. Then again, the Front Office is as adept as bloke running the United States Men's National Team is at getting the US to the World Cup.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Im all for a veteran back-up.
We all know injuries can happen and I aint comfortable handin the season to Cooper Rush.
A vet QB who can help Dak....and honestly...push him too...is a positive.
One option....Blaine Gabbert.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Well, we shall see what the team thinks. Though, they'd be foolish not to give him a veteran QB t help him for the reasons I mentioned. Then again, the Front Office is as adept as bloke running the United States Men's National Team is at getting the US to the World Cup.
Well, to be fair, Trinidad and Tobago is a mighty Footie powerhouse and CONCACAF is a tough qualifying group.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, Trinidad and Tobago is a mighty Footie powerhouse and CONCACAF is a tough qualifying group.

Oh blimey! They were so powerful! We couldn't possibly be expected to handle the likes of them in their enormous 23,000 seating capacity behemoth. And Matching up with the likes of Panama, Honduras, and other such countries? Who could possibly be expected to get past them? That's impossible! *faints*