Veteran Quarterback Needed

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Im all for a veteran back-up.
We all know injuries can happen and I aint comfortable handin the season to Cooper Rush.
A vet QB who can help Dak....and honestly...push him too...is a positive.
One option....Blaine Gabbert.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of Blaine Gabbert, but he'd be a good move as well.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't understand why someone like Kellen Clemens would be a good veteran backup QB, but Matt Cassel is not. They are the same guy. They've had nearly identical careers. Actually, Cassel has better numbers and started more games. If you are looking for a guy with experience, then there is no reason to reject Cassel over the other guys listed because they are all similar. None of them are better or worse than the other. Pick one and people will complain they should have chose the other. Pick that one and again people will complain they should have chose the other.

What I find funny is the comment about Matt Moore and how the organization was dumb to cut him. At the time Tony Romo had started all of 10 games. They wanted a veteran backup to mentor him and who could be ready in case of an emergency, which is why they went with Brad Johnson. They had to make a tough choice and going with 3 QBs would have been a luxury. A luxury they couldn't afford at the time. Having a veteran QB to mentor Romo is the same thinking that is currently being suggested with Dak. I think they can get by without a veteran backup, but I'm not against it. You still have to find the right guy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't understand why someone like Kellen Clemens would be a good veteran backup QB, but Matt Cassel is not. They are the same guy. They've had nearly identical careers. Actually, Cassel has better numbers and started more games. If you are looking for a guy with experience, then there is no reason to reject Cassel over the other guys listed because they are all similar. None of them are better or worse than the other. Pick one and people will complain they should have chose the other. Pick that one and again people will complain they should have chose the other.

What I find funny is the comment about Matt Moore and how the organization was dumb to cut him. At the time Tony Romo had started all of 10 games. They wanted a veteran backup to mentor him and who could be ready in case of an emergency, which is why they went with Brad Johnson. They had to make a tough choice and going with 3 QBs would have been a luxury. A luxury they couldn't afford at the time. Having a veteran QB to mentor Romo is the same thinking that is currently being suggested with Dak. I think they can get by without a veteran backup, but I'm not against it. You still have to find the right guy.

Fair enough I suppose about Clemens. Oh, I'm not disparaging Romo at all. Don't misunderstand that please. Though, I still think Matt Moore, Bradford, or Fitzpatrick would be great mentors for Dak. Though, I did forget about Brad Johnson.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Fair enough I suppose about Clemens. Oh, I'm not disparaging Romo at all. Don't misunderstand that please. Though, I still think Matt Moore, Bradford, or Fitzpatrick would be great mentors for Dak. Though, I did forget about Brad Johnson.

I don't want Bradford. The other guys have had to fight for any start they got during their career and also have a lot of experience on how to prepare as a backup. Bradford has a starter's mentality. He has rarely been in a backup role while in the league. Plus after being a #1 overall pick and having 2 different teams send high draft picks to acquire him, he probably still thinks he should be starting. If you want someone to compete with Dak for the starting spot, then bring in a young QB to do so. If you want a veteran QB to mentor and share information, then Bradford is not that guy. Bledsoe was not a good mentor to Romo because Drew thought he should still be the starter. Not all QBs can handle the backup role.

I didn't think you were disparaging Romo at all.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't want Bradford. The other guys have had to fight for any start they got during their career and also have a lot of experience on how to prepare as a backup. Bradford has a starter's mentality. He has rarely been in a backup role while in the league. Plus after being a #1 overall pick and having 2 different teams send high draft picks to acquire him, he probably still thinks he should be starting. If you want someone to compete with Dak for the starting spot, then bring in a young QB to do so. If you want a veteran QB to mentor and share information, then Bradford is not that guy. Bledsoe was not a good mentor to Romo because Drew thought he should still be the starter. Not all QBs can handle the backup role.

Okay good, I wanted to check that. As for Bradford, fair enough. Still, I think a veteran QB would be good to bring in. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Mark Sanchez considering he and Dak have chemistry with each other. Because, as I said, when Dak had Mark and Romo, Dak played well.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
Its all well and good asking we sign a vet QB, but they will need to be happy with a $1-1.5m 1 year contract, Bradford is not coming as I guess he still thinks he has something in the tank, the Viking may decide to keep him and let Keenum test the market and get paid as a starter elsewhere.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Its all well and good asking we sign a vet QB, but they will need to be happy with a $1-1.5m 1 year contract, Bradford is not coming as I guess he still thinks he has something in the tank, the Viking may decide to keep him and let Keenum test the market and get paid as a starter elsewhere.

I agree that the veteran QB would need to be happy to make about that much. Though, I could see someone like Sanchez or Matt Moore accepting that sort of deal.

DcFootball4

Reaction score
Okay good, I wanted to check that. As for Bradford, fair enough. Still, I think a veteran QB would be good to bring in. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Mark Sanchez considering he and Dak have chemistry with each other. Because, as I said, when Dak had Mark and Romo, Dak played well.

I totally forgot about Sanchez, I think he would be great to bring back in because of exactly like you said that chemistry him and Dak have. I mean, to be honest though, if Dak did go down, If its for the season I would rather Rush just take over and see what we have in him. But I do love the idea of having the vet helping Dak learn the ropes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I totally forgot about Sanchez, I think he would be great to bring back in because of exactly like you said that chemistry him and Dak have. I mean, to be honest though, if Dak did go down, If its for the season I would rather Rush just take over and see what we have in him. But I do love the idea of having the vet helping Dak learn the ropes.

I did as well to be honest until I reread the link that I posted. Sanchez would be good to bring back because he was a calming influence on Dak. They worked well together. Not to mention that Sanchez still isn't a dreadful QB if needed (though, it'd still be a tanking move if he were to start for an extended period of time). I mean, surely there's a reason he's been to 2 AFC title games with the Jets of all teams including doing so once through Tom Brady in Foxborough.

Techsass

Reaction score
I get the idea, but spending $1m on somebody you don't want on the field is kind of rich. I don't know what Kellen is getting, but a QB coach is supposed to be the guy doing the mentoring.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I get the idea, but spending $1m on somebody you don't want on the field is kind of rich. I don't know what Kellen is getting, but a QB coach is supposed to be the guy doing the mentoring.

Well, Mark Sanchez may not require even that much.

csirl

Reaction score
I think we should go after Bradford - hes going to be a FA. Give him an incentive heavy contract and let him compete for the starting job. Given that we currently have less than 1m per year invested in the QB position, we can afford to allocate some cash to.a good veteran.

I think Dak, Bradford and Rush would be an extremely good QB room. Mix of youth and experience. A genuine franchise standard QB on the roster if Dak doesnt progress....a great backup if he does.

Would Bradford sign with Dallas? I think he'd like his chances of beating out Dak in preseason.

JustChip

Reaction score

Very astute.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think we should go after Bradford - hes going to be a FA. Give him an incentive heavy contract and let him compete for the starting job. Given that we currently have less than 1m per year invested in the QB position, we can afford to allocate some cash to.a good veteran.

I think Dak, Bradford and Rush would be an extremely good QB room. Mix of youth and experience. A genuine franchise standard QB on the roster if Dak doesnt progress....a great backup if he does.

Would Bradford sign with Dallas? I think he'd like his chances of beating out Dak in preseason.

Exactly, and we saw today the benefit of having an experienced QB as a backup.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That is exactly who the Cowboys need. And give them at least a 2 year deal. See where Rush is after that.

Precisely, and a veteran backup can do wonders for a young QB. After this season, Dak proved he needs all the help he can get. Rush could also do well to have a veteran QB from whom he can learn. Bradford can teach them quite a bit.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Sanchise for the minimum. Matt Moore can still play, but DAL may need more of a coach then a player with Dak n Rush already at QB1 n QB2.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I have no interest in a high priced back-up like Bradford.

Who I am interested in is Austin Davis though. Wanted him last year. Went to compete against Kaep for the back-up Seattle position and beat out Kaep. Still fairly young at 28 years old.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have no interest in a high priced back-up like Bradford.

Who I am interested in is Austin Davis though. Wanted him last year. Went to compete against Kaep for the back-up Seattle position and beat out Kaep. Still fairly young at 28 years old.

I'd be interested in him. As far as I remember, he wasn't a bad QB in his own right. I'd be happy to have him as a backup.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Savage is another guy we liked when he came out in the draft. Not much experience as a starter though.