Veteran Quarterback Needed

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
SO! IT'S THE HARD COIN& broke bones of EXPERIENCE yer' in thirsting quest of ,heh,,,me Hardy's?,,,,:rolleyes:

#9 ain't no where to be seen on the quarterdeck these days & it's rough sea's and fierce cannonade ye' be of dreadsome anguish of ?
SHEESE!
That shriveled $*** show of 2015 should've showed ye' all yer' in a quandary over,in this bandied floatsam of oar pulling bench warmers,,,,THRUST FORTH COOPER RUSH & LET THE HIGH SEA'S
and all that other freebooters swag take note,,,o_O.

(That dude could be the equivalent in the NFL,to the Q-ship of prior high sea's pirated warfare a century ago ,,,,just saying, as our ships of the line 'fleet' in 2015 were better looking docked at home port on the bench, than whatever envisioned firepower they brought to bear:lmao:

Rest easy,Mateys!
#4 is a DREADNOUGHT! A ship of the JJ line,,,he ain't going down:thumbup:

:starspin:o_O:starspin:

ghostdog

Reaction score
I get the idea, but spending $1m on somebody you don't want on the field is kind of rich. I don't know what Kellen is getting, but a QB coach is supposed to be the guy doing the mentoring.
Getting information from another PLAYER is just as helpful. Sitting on the sidelines watching the game another QB has a very unique vantage point. Where coaches are looking at the overall play a follow QB sees it from the starters perspective. Having a vet that can communicate what the QB coach can't would be invaluable.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I would not be opposed to Sanchez or anyone around 30 and not named Bradford. Bradford is this generations Jeff George just without the arm. He has been given opportunities left and right and his body cannot handle pounding and his head barely handles the games.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would not be opposed to Sanchez or anyone around 30 and not named Bradford. Bradford is this generations Jeff George just without the arm. He has been given opportunities left and right and his body cannot handle pounding and his head barely handles the games.
Simply not true.

Bradford is a good QB who can't stay on the field. His body cannot handle the pounding, that is true, but he is good.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Bradford is a good QB who can't stay on the field. His body cannot handle the pounding, that is true, but he is good.

Career quarterback rating of 85.1, 62% completion percentage, 6.6 average per pass attempt. Dallas was 3-13 the year before he became the starter.

Troy Aikman's quarterback rating 81.6, 61.5 completion percentage, 7.0 per pass attempt. St. Louis was 1-15 the year before he became the starter.

Aikman's in the HOF, of course.

Stats very similar, but Bradford is never going to make the HOF.

So whether or not Bradford is "good" is up for discussion, obviously stats alone can't prove someone's a good quarterback, but I don't see he's very good...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'd rather draft.

Im over the veteran QB thing.

I'd rather try to strike gold in the draft then getting an NFL reject.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd rather draft.

Either way can work. Brady was a second year player when he took over for Bledsoe, won the SB that year and 4 times since. Jeff Hostetler was with the Giants like 6 years, but had played little, won the SB in place of an injured Phil Simms.

But Earl Morrall came in for Bob Griese as an "aged veteran" and won a SB. Jim Plunkett twice took over for a starting quarterback and won a SB, and he had been in the league, and a starter, for years.

So should you go with the vet or another draft pick?

Flip a coin, have about the same chance of success:laugh:

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I'd rather draft.

Absolutely not.
Not wasting a draft pick when we already have two promising young QBs.

Use those picks elsewhere.

ghostdog

Reaction score
This is silly. It’s is true that he physically has had all kinds of problems staying healthy but questioning his mentality for the game is dumb. Did you know that only once in his entire career has he played in the he same offensive systems two years in a row?
That’s the equivalent of learning a new language every other year in your career. How would your head be handling that? He had have very little in the way of big running games and questionable receivers. While he may not be a HOFer he most certainly is a very good QB.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know we are still reeling from a highly disappointing season. Furthermore, I think it is safe to say that we are disappointed by the sophomore campaign of Dak Prescott. However, I do not think that moving on from him is a wise move. Young Quarterbacks tend to have rough seasons early. Even Tom Brady's sophomore campaign as a starter resulted in him missing the playoffs.

I stated this on another thread to another poster, and I came to this realization. Aside from missing the playoffs in 2017, what else did you notice to be missing from the Cowboys that we had in 2016? The answer: a veteran Quarterback. Not as a starter. Though, I would've loved to have had Romo as he was one of my favorite players of all time, but this thread is NOT meant for a Romo vs. Dak debate, so let's not go there. The point of this thread is to point out that, in 2016, Dak had Tony Romo AND Mark Sanchez from whom he could learn the ropes of playing QB in the NFL. He had struggles in 2016, but, he was aided by the fact that he had veteran Quarterbacks to turn to who could help him learn from mistakes and, thereby, retain his confidence as a starter. In 2017, he lacked a veteran QB to whom he could turn in a crisis to seek advice. Therefore, his confidence crumbled after the Falcons game, and he became unreliable.

Thus, if he is to have a successful 2018 campaign, I think it would behoove the Cowboys to acquire the services of a veteran Quarterback for Dak Prescott. After all, even Brady had Bledsoe (as did Romo, oddly enough) to learn from. Obviously, Bledsoe didn't teach Brady EVERYTHING that Brady knows. However, can one really argue that Bledsoe had no effect on Brady?

Here is a list of veteran QBs that are currently set to be FAs in 2018: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2018QB.php. Obviously, some of these QBs will likely be resigned to their present teams such as Drew Brees and Garoppolo (though, that would be MAGNIFICENT if Jerry could manage to bring Brees or Garoppolo here).

On a recent board, I saw that someone mentioned Sam Bradford as a QB. While many delivered some begged to differ with that OP about acquiring Bradford's services, I actually think Sam Bradford could be useful to Dak if acquired. Here's why. He's a solid QB in his own right. If acquired, I think Sam Bradford could be a player to whom Dak could turn. After all, Bradford has quite a bit of experience. Does he get injured a lot? Yes, but Bradford would NOT be here to start. He would be here to serve as a backup to Dak, and as a mentor.

Another Quarterback who could be of useful service to Dak on this list would be Matt Moore. Firstly, let's not forget, Matt Moore was at one time a member of the Cowboys before the geniuses in the front office decided to part ways with him only for him to be a very serviceable backup and quarterback in his own right. Thus, he'd be another player that could be very good to have here to help Dak.

A third Quarterback that I'd recommend as a possibility is Kellen Clemens. Yes, I know he'll be 35 years old by the time training camp begins and will likely retire soon. However, as old as he is, he is still a very serviceable QB, and was a decent player. Like Bradford, he'd be here STRICTLY to backup Dak and serve as a mentor. Mind you, for a few games, Clemens would be a serviceable player if God-forbid something DID happen to Dak for a short period of time. Of course, this is assuming that Clemens doesn't retire.

What say you guys? What QBs on that list would you FEASIBLY like to see as our backup?
Ryan Fitzpatrick is another name to consider

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't understand why someone like Kellen Clemens would be a good veteran backup QB, but Matt Cassel is not. They are the same guy. They've had nearly identical careers. Actually, Cassel has better numbers and started more games. If you are looking for a guy with experience, then there is no reason to reject Cassel over the other guys listed because they are all similar. None of them are better or worse than the other. Pick one and people will complain they should have chose the other. Pick that one and again people will complain they should have chose the other.

What I find funny is the comment about Matt Moore and how the organization was dumb to cut him. At the time Tony Romo had started all of 10 games. They wanted a veteran backup to mentor him and who could be ready in case of an emergency, which is why they went with Brad Johnson. They had to make a tough choice and going with 3 QBs would have been a luxury. A luxury they couldn't afford at the time. Having a veteran QB to mentor Romo is the same thinking that is currently being suggested with Dak. I think they can get by without a veteran backup, but I'm not against it. You still have to find the right guy.
Plus they cut him with an eye to keep him on the PS. 9 out of 10 times that works out. Im Moores case it didnt.

kskboys

Reaction score
Career quarterback rating of 85.1, 62% completion percentage, 6.6 average per pass attempt. Dallas was 3-13 the year before he became the starter.

Troy Aikman's quarterback rating 81.6, 61.5 completion percentage, 7.0 per pass attempt. St. Louis was 1-15 the year before he became the starter.

Aikman's in the HOF, of course.

Stats very similar, but Bradford is never going to make the HOF.

So whether or not Bradford is "good" is up for discussion, obviously stats alone can't prove someone's a good quarterback, but I don't see he's very good...
A lot of people have this perception of him being not very good, but he simply is a good QB. Best I can figure is that it's a perception derived from preconceived notions, or maybe seeing him in a bad game or two.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Vet QB? Give me Fitzpatrick. At this point Rush has no business being a 2. If we draft a rookie QB..HMM..I want Mike White from Western Kentucky in round 5 or 6.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Fitzpatrick is a decent backup. I think that he'd be someone that Dak could learn a great deal from. Though I still think Moore could be a decent player, though he is rather old as is Clemens. Feel free to take a look at the list of QBs in the link I posted. Besides, if the veteran in question is on the field, then either Dak got hurt, or we've decided that Dak's not the answer, and we're therefore tanking. But the QB is there to mentor Dak. Thus, I still have no issue with Clemens orMoore being here if brought in. Besides, Clemens can still play.
Moore is a smart football player I think he will become a very good coach he knows the game