Veteran Quarterback Needed

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know we are still reeling from a highly disappointing season. Furthermore, I think it is safe to say that we are disappointed by the sophomore campaign of Dak Prescott. However, I do not think that moving on from him is a wise move. Young Quarterbacks tend to have rough seasons early. Even Tom Brady's sophomore campaign as a starter resulted in him missing the playoffs.

I stated this on another thread to another poster, and I came to this realization. Aside from missing the playoffs in 2017, what else did you notice to be missing from the Cowboys that we had in 2016? The answer: a veteran Quarterback. Not as a starter. Though, I would've loved to have had Romo as he was one of my favorite players of all time, but this thread is NOT meant for a Romo vs. Dak debate, so let's not go there. The point of this thread is to point out that, in 2016, Dak had Tony Romo AND Mark Sanchez from whom he could learn the ropes of playing QB in the NFL. He had struggles in 2016, but, he was aided by the fact that he had veteran Quarterbacks to turn to who could help him learn from mistakes and, thereby, retain his confidence as a starter. In 2017, he lacked a veteran QB to whom he could turn in a crisis to seek advice. Therefore, his confidence crumbled after the Falcons game, and he became unreliable.

Thus, if he is to have a successful 2018 campaign, I think it would behoove the Cowboys to acquire the services of a veteran Quarterback for Dak Prescott. After all, even Brady had Bledsoe (as did Romo, oddly enough) to learn from. Obviously, Bledsoe didn't teach Brady EVERYTHING that Brady knows. However, can one really argue that Bledsoe had no effect on Brady?

Here is a list of veteran QBs that are currently set to be FAs in 2018: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2018QB.php. Obviously, some of these QBs will likely be resigned to their present teams such as Drew Brees and Garoppolo (though, that would be MAGNIFICENT if Jerry could manage to bring Brees or Garoppolo here).

On a recent board, I saw that someone mentioned Sam Bradford as a QB. While many delivered some begged to differ with that OP about acquiring Bradford's services, I actually think Sam Bradford could be useful to Dak if acquired. Here's why. He's a solid QB in his own right. If acquired, I think Sam Bradford could be a player to whom Dak could turn. After all, Bradford has quite a bit of experience. Does he get injured a lot? Yes, but Bradford would NOT be here to start. He would be here to serve as a backup to Dak, and as a mentor.

Another Quarterback who could be of useful service to Dak on this list would be Matt Moore. Firstly, let's not forget, Matt Moore was at one time a member of the Cowboys before the geniuses in the front office decided to part ways with him only for him to be a very serviceable backup and quarterback in his own right. Thus, he'd be another player that could be very good to have here to help Dak.

A third Quarterback that I'd recommend as a possibility is Kellen Clemens. Yes, I know he'll be 35 years old by the time training camp begins and will likely retire soon. However, as old as he is, he is still a very serviceable QB, and was a decent player. Like Bradford, he'd be here STRICTLY to backup Dak and serve as a mentor. Mind you, for a few games, Clemens would be a serviceable player if God-forbid something DID happen to Dak for a short period of time. Of course, this is assuming that Clemens doesn't retire.

What say you guys? What QBs on that list would you FEASIBLY like to see as our backup?
I certai
I know we are still reeling from a highly disappointing season. Furthermore, I think it is safe to say that we are disappointed by the sophomore campaign of Dak Prescott. However, I do not think that moving on from him is a wise move. Young Quarterbacks tend to have rough seasons early. Even Tom Brady's sophomore campaign as a starter resulted in him missing the playoffs.

I stated this on another thread to another poster, and I came to this realization. Aside from missing the playoffs in 2017, what else did you notice to be missing from the Cowboys that we had in 2016? The answer: a veteran Quarterback. Not as a starter. Though, I would've loved to have had Romo as he was one of my favorite players of all time, but this thread is NOT meant for a Romo vs. Dak debate, so let's not go there. The point of this thread is to point out that, in 2016, Dak had Tony Romo AND Mark Sanchez from whom he could learn the ropes of playing QB in the NFL. He had struggles in 2016, but, he was aided by the fact that he had veteran Quarterbacks to turn to who could help him learn from mistakes and, thereby, retain his confidence as a starter. In 2017, he lacked a veteran QB to whom he could turn in a crisis to seek advice. Therefore, his confidence crumbled after the Falcons game, and he became unreliable.

Thus, if he is to have a successful 2018 campaign, I think it would behoove the Cowboys to acquire the services of a veteran Quarterback for Dak Prescott. After all, even Brady had Bledsoe (as did Romo, oddly enough) to learn from. Obviously, Bledsoe didn't teach Brady EVERYTHING that Brady knows. However, can one really argue that Bledsoe had no effect on Brady?

Here is a list of veteran QBs that are currently set to be FAs in 2018: http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2018QB.php. Obviously, some of these QBs will likely be resigned to their present teams such as Drew Brees and Garoppolo (though, that would be MAGNIFICENT if Jerry could manage to bring Brees or Garoppolo here).

On a recent board, I saw that someone mentioned Sam Bradford as a QB. While many delivered some begged to differ with that OP about acquiring Bradford's services, I actually think Sam Bradford could be useful to Dak if acquired. Here's why. He's a solid QB in his own right. If acquired, I think Sam Bradford could be a player to whom Dak could turn. After all, Bradford has quite a bit of experience. Does he get injured a lot? Yes, but Bradford would NOT be here to start. He would be here to serve as a backup to Dak, and as a mentor.

Another Quarterback who could be of useful service to Dak on this list would be Matt Moore. Firstly, let's not forget, Matt Moore was at one time a member of the Cowboys before the geniuses in the front office decided to part ways with him only for him to be a very serviceable backup and quarterback in his own right. Thus, he'd be another player that could be very good to have here to help Dak.

A third Quarterback that I'd recommend as a possibility is Kellen Clemens. Yes, I know he'll be 35 years old by the time training camp begins and will likely retire soon. However, as old as he is, he is still a very serviceable QB, and was a decent player. Like Bradford, he'd be here STRICTLY to backup Dak and serve as a mentor. Mind you, for a few games, Clemens would be a serviceable player if God-forbid something DID happen to Dak for a short period of time. Of course, this is assuming that Clemens doesn't retire.

What say you guys? What QBs on that list would you FEASIBLY like to see as our backup?
nl under

I understand why a vet QB is a popular idea. But I also think it is a huge waste of cap space to sign a veteran QB that costs as much as someone li’e Sam Bradford. Remember the days of Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, and Kyle Orion? All overpaid old guys who made a big salary for mostly clipboard duty or in the case of Brad Johnson, throw 5 yard check downs on 3rd and 9. Having guys like that kill your cap for little in return. We never made the playoffs because we had those guys.

I realize Cooper Rush is untested but at least he has upside, potential, and doesn’t kill your cap to keep. If he turns into something he can garner a draft pick in a trade. If not, he’s not killing the cap like a Sam Bradford would.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I certai

nl under

I understand why a vet QB is a popular idea. But I also think it is a huge waste of cap space to sign a veteran QB that costs as much as someone li’e Sam Bradford. Remember the days of Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna, and Kyle Orion? All overpaid old guys who made a big salary for mostly clipboard duty or in the case of Brad Johnson, throw 5 yard check downs on 3rd and 9. Having guys like that kill your cap for little in return. We never made the playoffs because we had those guys.

I realize Cooper Rush is untested but at least he has upside, potential, and doesn’t kill your cap to keep. If he turns into something he can garner a draft pick in a trade. If not, he’s not killing the cap like a Sam Bradford would.

That's a good point.

jrumann59

Reaction score
This is silly. It’s is true that he physically has had all kinds of problems staying healthy but questioning his mentality for the game is dumb. Did you know that only once in his entire career has he played in the he same offensive systems two years in a row?
That’s the equivalent of learning a new language every other year in your career. How would your head be handling that? He had have very little in the way of big running games and questionable receivers. While he may not be a HOFer he most certainly is a very good QB.
He is a slightly, slightly, above average QB. I will give him a pass on his OC while on Rams, but since then no team wanted to keep him for long due to his limitations, but some team is always dumb enough to trade for him due to his draft position.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you assume Bradford is a good, or very good quarterback, you still have to deal with the injuries he's sustained. He does you no good if he's laid up with another knee injury, which is very possible. Anybody can get injured, but for me I don't like the risk...