Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

acis516

Reaction score
i just rewatched the game, and to me James should have been 5 yrds deeper and 3-4steps more to the inside. by no means do i profess to be an expert, but looking at the replay that is what i see.

Use Your Illusion

Reaction score
Hmm let's see... player catches a touchdown on us, Roy Williams is the closest guy to him, Roy immediately points at a teammate and starts blaming that person.

YEP, looks like a typical Roy Williams play.

If it wasn't his fault, why did the coaches pull him from the game on obvious passing downs after that? The man is a liability.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
davidyee;1778652 said:
...couldn't Stewart "blend/hide" the open seam up the middle with aligning Roy a bit inside the hash mark.

Remember that in cover 2 he has to cover half the field. If you align him too far inside, the outside WR will run a fade and Roy won't have a chance to get there. If another reciever enters the CBs zone he has to leave the WR and pick up the man in his zone. If Roy were lined up too far inside, that WR on the outside would be uncovered. That's why the ILB is suppose to get DEEP in the middle when you play cover 2.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;1778965 said:
Hmm let's see... player catches a touchdown on us, Roy Williams is the closest guy to him, Roy immediately points at a teammate and starts blaming that person.

YEP, looks like a typical Roy Williams play.

If it wasn't his fault, why did the coaches pull him from the game on obvious passing downs after that? The man is a liability.

Brady James gets taken off the field in the nickel defense. He's the biggest liability in pass coverage on the team. Roy messed up, but the biggest culprit on that play was James.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Its weird.

The corner on the right side of the defense looked as if he was in man coverage but the way Bradie was running towards the middle of the field (slowly but surely) points to a Cover-2 defense.

Looks like RW was helping the RCB and Bradie was suppose to be deep center field, like the ILB is suppose to do in a cover-2.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Sorry but that was all Brady James... He was D.Hall (Burnt Toast) Roy seemed to pick it up at the last second at that point it was to late. If you watch at the end of the play roy points at Brady telling him that was your guy.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1778868 said:
If Roy really said that, then let their be weeping and knashing of teeth from all Roy apologist. Your boy just stabbed ya'll in the back.

Most of us non-Roy bashers have said that catch was against Roy. A lot of people have pointed out that James was partly to blame, too, but the catch came in Roy's zone, and he should have made the play.

What the quote actually shows is that Roy DID NOT blame a teammate, even when one of them is partly at fault, too. When he deserves to take some or all of the blame, he steps up and takes it.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Use Your Illusion;1778965 said:
why did the coaches pull him from the game on obvious passing downs after that?

They didn't. We had a handful of plays when Henry replaced one of the safeties in the nickel -- either Hamlin or Roy. But on obvious passing downs, Roy was in the game EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Go back and look at ANY "obvious passing down" -- any third-down play, no matter the distance, in the entire game. Any of the Commanders' six plays on their last possession of the first half, when they were in the hurry-up offense. And any of their 28 plays in the fourth quarter (all pass plays). Roy was on the field for EVERY SINGLE ONE of those plays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SuperCows5Xs;1778868 said:
If Roy really said that, then let their be weeping and knashing of teeth from all Roy apologist. Your boy just stabbed ya'll in the back.

:laugh2:

Holy Jeebus. I don't know why anyone spends time arguing with you SuperCows5xs if you're not even going to bother reading what everybody on the board is saying. Seriously.

Good quote, btw, bbgun. I agree, too, that this thread is pointless.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
Idgit;1779046 said:
Holy Jeebus. I don't know why anyone spends time arguing with you SuperCows5xs if you're not even going to bother reading what everybody on the board is saying. Seriously.

Good quote, btw, bbgun. I agree, too, that this thread is pointless.

If you feel that way why did you spend time to say that to me???

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1779031 said:
Most of us non-Roy bashers have said that catch was against Roy. A lot of people have pointed out that James was partly to blame, too, but the catch came in Roy's zone, and he should have made the play.
You said most of ya'll said it was against Roy, so I wasn't addressing you then, but the ones who are stubborn enough to say it was all Bradie or whoever else, like they usually do.
AdamJT13;1779031 said:
What the quote actually shows is that Roy DID NOT blame a teammate, even when one of them is partly at fault, too. When he deserves to take some or all of the blame, he steps up and takes it.
I was shocked Roy took blame for this in front of the media he does deserve some credit for that but once again my post wasn't aimed at crediting Roy but aimed at those who stubbornly defend Roy especially when it's rediculous. When the play happen he still threw a hissy fit a James, and ya'll can say what ya'll want about what Bradie's job was on that play, to me he looked like he did his job.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1779211 said:
When the play happen he still threw a hissy fit a James

Were you at the game?

and ya'll can say what ya'll want about what Bradie's job was on that play, to me he looked like he did his job.

He didn't. The linebacker has to drop underneath that tight end route deep enough to make the throw difficult for the QB. James not only didn't drop, he stayed to the outside, opening up a throwing lane down the middle.

TEK2000

Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1779211 said:
You said most of ya'll said it was against Roy, so I wasn't addressing you then, but the ones who are stubborn enough to say it was all Bradie or whoever else, like they usually do.

I was shocked Roy took blame for this in front of the media he does deserve some credit for that but once again my post wasn't aimed at crediting Roy but aimed at those who stubbornly defend Roy especially when it's rediculous. When the play happen he still threw a hissy fit a James, and ya'll can say what ya'll want about what Bradie's job was on that play, to me he looked like he did his job.

Do point out everyone that placed NO BLAME on Roy for the play.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Rack;1778989 said:
Remember that in cover 2 he has to cover half the field. If you align him too far inside, the outside WR will run a fade and Roy won't have a chance to get there. If another reciever enters the CBs zone he has to leave the WR and pick up the man in his zone. If Roy were lined up too far inside, that WR on the outside would be uncovered. That's why the ILB is suppose to get DEEP in the middle when you play cover 2.

...cover two that what a team should play. But in this case where you have an excellent TE like Cooley and Newman on the outside I would play my odds with Newman and let Roy get a more comfortable alignment on the middle routes.

Despite what some posters are saying about Roy he has excellent closing speed going forward and it's that part of his game that bring fear into the eyes of receivers.

If Roy is ten yards off and has a bead on you watch out! You may get the pass, but you know it's going to hurt.

You don't win every play, but you depending on how you play it can dictate the tone of the succeeding plays. I believe alot of the posters here are concerned that Roy has been patrolling the secondary with the fear he normally brings. Alot of this I believe is due to the way the defence aligns him.

If he is allowed to cover coming forward I believe we will be seeing much more of the Roy of old as opposed to what posters have been griping about lately.

BTW, my opinion is that James is a coverage liability and he doesn't have the wheels to get back in coverage. If I was Stewart I would have begun to consider taking out James and putting in Burnett or Carpenter to see if we could force the Skins into a running game when they were down two scores.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee;1779809 said:
...cover two that what a team should play. But in this case where you have an excellent TE like Cooley and Newman on the outside I would play my odds with Newman and let Roy get a more comfortable alignment on the middle routes.

Despite what some posters are saying about Roy he has excellent closing speed going forward and it's that part of his game that bring fear into the eyes of receivers.

If Roy is ten yards off and has a bead on you watch out! You may get the pass, but you know it's going to hurt.

You don't win every play, but you depending on how you play it can dictate the tone of the succeeding plays. I believe alot of the posters here are concerned that Roy has been patrolling the secondary with the fear he normally brings. Alot of this I believe is due to the way the defence aligns him.

If he is allowed to cover coming forward I believe we will be seeing much more of the Roy of old as opposed to what posters have been griping about lately.

BTW, my opinion is that James is a coverage liability and he doesn't have the wheels to get back in coverage. If I was Stewart I would have begun to consider taking out James and putting in Burnett or Carpenter to see if we could force the Skins into a running game when they were down two scores.
Really good post.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I believe both players, James and Roy, DID NOT make Coach Wade happy on that play!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
But in this case where you have an excellent TE like Cooley and Newman on the outside I would play my odds with Newman and let Roy get a more comfortable alignment on the middle routes

You're completely missing something here.

If someone goes into Newman's zone (short) then he (Newman) has to leave the WR that's going deep. If Roy is lined up way inside, that's an easy long TD every...single...time.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
First off, its needs to be said, that when you are in a cover two, the ONE area that it IS weak, and can be beat is by the TE running a post pattern. Luckily their are only a handful of TE's in the league that actually can run a post pattern decent enough to be a threat. Unfortunately for us, we face two of them twice a year. That said, it can be and is SUPPOSED to be defensed better than we did on that play. The CORRECT way to defense the play is for the Safety to have outside coverage on the TE and the LB to have underneath coverage, requiring a perfect pass by the QB to the inside to get the completion.

On that play, BOTH Roy Williams AND Brady James messed up, Roy bit outside when he shouldn't have and that took away his chance of getting the pass breakup, and Brady James did not drop deep enough on the play to make the throw very difficult and make it at least appear to be covered. That said, the pass looked good enough that even had the defenders been in perfect position, I am not sure that it could have been stopped.

Their is a reason that we run the same play against other teams all the time, when run correctly, and the defense is in a cover 2 defense, the play is impossible to truly stop with a good throw by the QB. All you can hope to do is make the throw difficult on the QB.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
SMCowboy;1780100 said:
First off, its needs to be said, that when you are in a cover two, the ONE area that it IS weak, and can be beat is by the TE running a post pattern. Luckily their are only a handful of TE's in the league that actually can run a post pattern decent enough to be a threat. Unfortunately for us, we face two of them twice a year. That said, it can be and is SUPPOSED to be defensed better than we did on that play. The CORRECT way to defense the play is for the Safety to have outside coverage on the TE and the LB to have underneath coverage, requiring a perfect pass by the QB to the inside to get the completion.

On that play, BOTH Roy Williams AND Brady James messed up, Roy bit outside when he shouldn't have and that took away his chance of getting the pass breakup, and Brady James did not drop deep enough on the play to make the throw very difficult and make it at least appear to be covered. That said, the pass looked good enough that even had the defenders been in perfect position, I am not sure that it could have been stopped.

Their is a reason that we run the same play against other teams all the time, when run correctly, and the defense is in a cover 2 defense, the play is impossible to truly stop with a good throw by the QB. All you can hope to do is make the throw difficult on the QB.

Exactly what I've said many times.

Watch Witten's 23-yard catch with 13:25 left in the fourth quarter. Rocky McIntosh dropped 14 yards off the line and nearly knocked down the pass, but Romo got it over the top of him and Witten made the catch in front of LaRon Landry. McIntosh made it a difficult throw, and the safety still couldn't prevent the catch because the throw was perfect.

Or watch the incompletion to Cooley with 10:06 left in the fourth. This time, Ware dropped deep underneath Cooley from the outside (possibly an adjustment we made to keep James out of that role), and Campbell couldn't make the perfect throw to a diving Cooley. If Ware isn't there, it's a much easier throw and possibly a completion inside the 5. Instead, they had to settle for a field goal.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
nyc;1777210 said:
This is what is happening in this thread.
  1. People hate on Roy Williams because of his continued coverage issues
  2. Roy Williams lovers, protect Roy Williams and blame Bradie James
  3. Roy Williams haters, do not disagree about James' issues in the play, but point out that teams game plan to explot Williams weak coverage
  4. Roy Williams lovers, rinse and repeat list item 2.

I see it differently, what I see is.

1 people hate on Roy Williams based on coverages even if they have to make **** up or totally misread what the coverage actually is

2 People who aren't idiots correctly point out it was both players who screwed up Roy and Bradie.

3 Roy Williams Haters continue to make up new schemes ignoring obvious problems with what they are saying

4 People who arent idiots continue to try and educate the idiots only to be rebuffed when the idiots stick heir fingers in the hears and scram NO NO NO ROY SUCKS BLAH BLAH BLAH