Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1777210 said:
This is what is happening in this thread.
  1. People hate on Roy Williams because of his continued coverage issues
  2. Roy Williams lovers, protect Roy Williams and blame Bradie James
  3. Roy Williams haters, do not disagree about James' issues in the play, but point out that teams game plan to explot Williams weak coverage
  4. Roy Williams lovers, rinse and repeat list item 2.
What about the people who just want to tip their hat to the Commanders for a well run play? We don't exist huh?

I forgot, I'm a "Roy homer." Oh wait, now it's "Roy lover."

Forget it. Enjoy your agenda.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777231 said:
As I've said all along.

Roy Williams screwed up and turned his hips the wrong way.. mistake by Roy.
Bradie James didn't get deep enough and take away the easy passing lane between Cooley and Campbell... mistake by Bradie.

It was a GOOD play by the offense and we (as a team) made some mistakes to make it easy for the offense.

Why in hell are you arguing with me? This is what I said happen. :bang2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TEK2000;1777231 said:
As I've said all along.

Roy Williams screwed up and turned his hips the wrong way.. mistake by Roy.
Bradie James didn't get deep enough and take away the easy passing lane between Cooley and Campbell... mistake by Bradie.

It was a GOOD play by the offense and we (as a team) made some mistakes to make it easy for the offense.

Exactly.

Some people think when we give up a TD it's cuz only ONE player screwed up.

James made that same mistake multiple times last year (not getting deep enough when we call cover 2). I've said all season that I didn't buy this crap that he's all the sudden a "Fast" LB. He may have improved his quickness cuz he shed some pounds, but he didn't get "fast".

I'm wondering why we haven't seen Carpenter in there some, but then JuJo is still starting so I shouldn't be surprised.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
TEK2000;1777222 said:
And you have reading comprehension issues if that's what you really think is going on here.

nyc;1777227 said:
And what are you saying? Williams wasn't at fault here?

I think what he is saying is that not one person said Roy was not at fault, only mentioning that James not being in position put Roy in a very difficult position.

Last week, Roy took the inside shoulder against Shockey. Result, Manning throws it to the back shoulder. Roy may have been expecting James to be more near the middle of the field and took the back shoulder to prevent that exact same scenario.

TEK2000

Reaction score
nyc;1777244 said:
Why in hell are you arguing with me? This is what I said happen. :bang2:

You said "Roy lovers are protecting Roy and blaming Bradie"... but that is not what is happening. That's what the discussion is over.

khiladi

Reaction score
What happens if the WR on the outside runs a deep route and Cooley runs the same route?

Do you even watch the tape? He DID run a deep route, and he was blanketed by the CB, who was, guess? The premier CB on the team, Terrance Newman. There were only two players on that side of the ball:

1. The WR
2. Cooley

Then there was Portis, who was coming from the backfield, and made his break to that side, after he went in-between the tackle and guard.

Who else, other than Roy, was Cooley's responsibility? Was Wade going to have Bradie isolated on Cooley, without help from Roy, or was he more worried about the Commanders receivers on that play, who was blanketed by Newman?

Who covers Cooley then? Bradie James getting deep down the field perhaps?

It is a nice imaginary scenario, but that is not what happened. Considering it was the first drive of the game also, and the Commanders bread in butter is the short passes, and Clinton Portis, it is quite obvious what James was key'ing in on.

There are holes in zones defenses. I can't imagine a defense where the hole in the zone is supposed to be 20 yards downfield in the direct middle of the field between the 2 safeties because we are more concerned about the RB running an 5 yard route.

Roy STARTED AT THE 10 yard line. The Commanders were at the 20, thus:

20-10 equals what?

10 yards... Cooley made his cut at around the 7... and Roy got broke at the 7... Please...

And yes, we were more worried about Clinton Portis than Jason Campbell...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1777243 said:
What about the people who just want to tip their hat to the Commanders for a well run play? We don't exist huh?

I forgot, I'm a "Roy homer." Oh wait, now it's "Roy lover."

Forget it. Enjoy your agenda.

:laugh2:

Tell me Hostile, what is my agenda? To bash Roy? Because it's not, and if you read my thoughts on that play, you will clearly see that is not the case at all. All I do is take a logical view of what happen, and present it.

Was it a good play? Of course, it scored didn't it. I never said that Cooley and the rest of the Commanders didn't make a good play, I just pointed out where the coverage broke down.

Now, do I think Roy Williams sucks in coverage. Without a doubt. Do I think he should remain a Cowboy? Not really. I mean, why would I want a player that teams game plan to explot?

To me, it's obvious. To others. :squirrel:

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
khiladi;1777264 said:
And yes, we were more worried about Clinton Portis than Jason Campbell...

We were more worried about his running which obviously was not happening on that play. He has not caught a TD pass this year while Cooley had 5 and yet we are going to devote 2 players to covering him?

If they were at their 20, I would agree, but that close to the endzone, the players have got to get into their zones as quickly as possible because you don't have the ability chase it down.

TEK2000

Reaction score
khiladi;1777264 said:
Do you even watch the tape? He DID run a deep route, and he was blanketed by the CB, who was, guess? The premier CB on the team, Terrance Newman. There were only two players on that side of the ball:

1. The WR
2. Cooley

Then there was Portis, who was coming from the backfield, and made his break to that side, after he went in-between the tackle and guard.

Who else, other than Roy, was Cooley's responsibility? Was Wade going to have Bradie isolated on Cooley, without help from Roy, or was he more worried about the Commanders receivers on that play, who was blanketed by Newman?

It is a nice imaginary scenario, but that is not what happened. Considering it was the first drive of the game also, and the Commanders bread in butter is the short passes, and Clinton Portis, it is quite obvious what James was key'ing in on.

Roy STARTED AT THE 10 yard line. The Commanders were at the 20, thus:

20-10 equals what?

10 yards... Cooley made his cut at around the 7... and Roy got broke at the 7... Please...

And yes, we were more worried about Clinto Portis than Jason Campbell...

He ran a 13 yard out...... :rolleyes:

Of course Newman covered him because that is Newman's zone.

khiladi

Reaction score
TEK2000;1777310 said:
He ran a 13 yard out...... :rolleyes:

Of course Newman covered him because that is Newman's zone.

Thank you, meaning, the ONLY person Roy had to worry about on that play was Cooley...

TEK2000

Reaction score
khiladi;1777377 said:
Thank you, meaning, the ONLY person Roy had to worry about on that play was Cooley...

Oh boy... you really didn't follow along with the discussion at all did you?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1777268 said:
:laugh2:

Tell me Hostile, what is my agenda? To bash Roy? Because it's not, and if you read my thoughts on that play, you will clearly see that is not the case at all. All I do is take a logical view of what happen, and present it.

Was it a good play? Of course, it scored didn't it. I never said that Cooley and the rest of the Commanders didn't make a good play, I just pointed out where the coverage broke down.

Now, do I think Roy Williams sucks in coverage. Without a doubt. Do I think he should remain a Cowboy? Not really. I mean, why would I want a player that teams game plan to explot?

To me, it's obvious. To others. :squirrel:
See, you didn't need to even ask me.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1777396 said:
See, you didn't need to even ask me.

Logic: (noun)
  1. philosophy theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning
  2. system or instance of reasoning: any system of, or an instance of, reasoning and inference
  3. sensible argument and thought: sensible rational thought and argument rather than ideas that are influenced by emotion or whim

There is a different between logic and agenda. Of course, an agenda can be logical. :gent:

khiladi

Reaction score
TEK2000;1777390 said:
Oh boy... you really didn't follow along with the discussion at all did you?

Actually I have... what responsibility did Roy have, considering the WR was all the way over on the other side and blanketed by Newman?

TEK2000

Reaction score
khiladi;1777431 said:
Actually I have... what responsibility did Roy have, considering the WR was all the way over on the other side and blanketed by Newman?

This has already been covered. Hence... you didn't follow along with the discussion.

You're the only one still arguing over what happened. Everyone else seems to have come to an agreement.

TVMan

Reaction score
nyc;1777106 said:
Yeah, if an orange is orange then call it an orange. A Cover 2 is a Cover 2 even you said that before you told everyone to check with Wade to make sure we knew where Roy was supposed to be while playing a Cover 2! :laugh2:

And a Donkey(nyc) is a Donkey(nyc).

You can say Black is Black and White is White. Cover 2 is Cover 2. However, you do not know what Wade and Stewart had in mind there. Aikman doesn't know, you don't and neither do we.

Sooooo Aikman said it, therefore it must be true.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TVMan;1777454 said:
And a Donkey(nyc) is a Donkey(nyc).

Never once in my entire life have I not agree with being a *******. So, Mr. Smarty Pants. Tell us something we don't know! :laugh2:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Rack;1776776 said:
Wow.

Either you're incredibly IGNORANT (to put it nicely) or you actually think you can make people believe your flat out LIES.

Khiladi is basically trying to convince everyone in this thread that morris the cat was actually a dog.

James CLEARLY didn't do his job on the play. CLEARLY to anyone with half an ounce (at least) of football knowledge.

You're basically saying it's better to let Cooley get deep and to cover Portis short then to take away the deep ball and come up to make a tackle on the short pass.

"Hey Brady, don't worry about Cooley running right by you towards the endzone, you may have a 2 yard curl to defend!"

:rolleyes:

There are ignorant people, and then there are ignorant people that just refuse to learn.

...at 1:26 the Skins are set before the snap. At 1:27 Portis is hitting the hole and Bradie is putting a chuck on Cooley.

At 1:28 Portis breaks left right into the OLB zone and Cooley is behind James, but James realizes Portis is covered and breaks inside. By this time Roy is facing outside to towards the sidelines.

At 1:30 Roy turns back inside and breaks towards Cooley crossing into the middle.

Maybe this is something the coaches wanted everyone to do. Cover the RB past the line and don't let anything hit the sidelines???

What I don't get is why Bradie is covering Portis when Ware is sitting down in that outside zone to his right?

Also there is decent coverage on the wide receiver on the sidelines so why is Roy leaning so heavily to that direction? I mean it is Newman out there and he clearly isn't Reeves.

If I had my choice I would have lined Roy a few more yards inside the outside hash mark and allowed him to occupy the middle with a clear view of the sideline. That way you can keep the play in front of him and allow him to break towards the receiver where he seems to excel.

What made it so ugly is seeing him get turned around.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
nyc;1777414 said:
Logic: (noun)

1. philosophy theory of reasoning: the branch of philosophy that deals with the theory of deductive and inductive arguments and aims to distinguish good from bad reasoning

1. [*]system or instance of reasoning: any system of, or an instance of, reasoning and inference​

[*]sensible argument and thought: sensible rational thought and argument rather than ideas that are influenced by emotion or whim​

There is a different between logic and agenda. Of course, an agenda can be logical. :gent:
Not only can an agenda be logical, it can be logical and wrong at the same time. For example, how many times have you seen or heard the DFW media questioning Parcells or Phillips about the players who are talked about on these forums?

Often the coaches shoot down the theories. The question is why? When you look at the question it is perfectly logical to ask and assume. Yet Parcells and Phillips both assess the levels of play differently.

It has to do with the "design of the play."

Therefore perfectly logical to assume one thing and still be wrong.