Video: Cooley's TD catch with Replay

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1777887 said:
Hostile, it had to be Williams' fault, he was on the field remember.
It's taking me a while to learn these new rules CCF. I have to forget everything I ever learned from when I played and focus on what these guys see with their very own eyes. All the years where I saw players praised for hustling to help out when someone blew a play or the other team just found a seam have gone right out the window in favor of the new truths of football.

It might take me a while. Old dog, new tricks ya know?

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
A thread dedicated to a play that Roy has taken full blame for (duh). Gives new meaning to the word "pointless."

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
Rack;1776703 said:
Just watched the replay again... sorry, but you're full of it. James dropped way too late. That's not even debatable.

Roy did screw up on the play though. But if James does his job that's not an "easy" TD for the skins.
true,James if he plays that right makes it a difficult throw, and gives Roy a better chance to defend it. It was a bad play by both, "the hips Roy, the hips.:)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Hostile;1776895 said:
It's pretty obvious to me that the assignment is to be CB in the intermediate Zone and Roy on outside deep.

who then got the responsibility to cover the middle of the field deep then? surely they're aware of that possibility with cooley out there.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
baj1dallas;1777942 said:
who then got the responsibility to cover the middle of the field deep then? surely they're aware of that possibility with cooley out there.

In Cover 2, each safety has his entire half of the field deep. If the wide receiver goes deep on the outside, that's his responsibility. If the tight end goes deep up the seem, that's his responsibility, too.

gollum

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1777125 said:
How anyone could argue anything else is a mystery. James completely blew the underneath coverage, and Roy got turned the wrong way on the deep coverage.

So in your analyis of passing vs our defensive backs, would this one go against Roy since it was a "deep" pass?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
gollum;1778532 said:
So in your analyis of passing vs our defensive backs, would this one go against Roy since it was a "deep" pass?

Read the whole thread, he already answered that question.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
gollum;1778532 said:

Yes, it was against Roy. James also was culpable, but it was in Roy's zone.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
gollum;1778532 said:
I'm not Adam and I apologize if you don't want my opinion. I think this is on James and him. People mention the wrong turn of his hips, they are turned wrong because he sees James make the chuck and he feels he can play the outside deep because no one is coming over the middle. Then James let's him go.

James should not have released and Roy should not have abandoned his assignment, but I understand why he did. All players do that. Sometimes they gamble and it works. Sometimes they gamble and they pay.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile;1778552 said:
I'm not Adam and I apologize if you don't want my opinion. I think this is on James and him. People mention the wrong turn of his hips, they are turned wrong because he sees James make the chuck and he feels he can play the outside deep because no one is coming over the middle. Then James let's him go.

James should not have released and Roy should not have abandoned his assignment, but I understand why he did. All players do that. Sometimes they gamble and it works. Sometimes they gamble and they pay.

...couldn't Stewart "blend/hide" the open seam up the middle with aligning Roy a bit inside the hash mark.

I see alot of defensive schemes do this knowing that their personnel can run forward to a play rather than get turned around.

It makes the field look unbalanced because one safety is playing closer to the middle in the cover 2, but given Roy's talents and his shortcomings I would rather have him going forward into the play rather than backwards.

If the receivers knew that Roy was drawing a bead on them it could make them much more hesitant on seam routes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee;1778652 said:
...couldn't Stewart "blend/hide" the open seam up the middle with aligning Roy a bit inside the hash mark.

I see alot of defensive schemes do this knowing that their personnel can run forward to a play rather than get turned around.

It makes the field look unbalanced because one safety is playing closer to the middle in the cover 2, but given Roy's talents and his shortcomings I would rather have him going forward into the play rather than backwards.

If the receivers knew that Roy was drawing a bead on them it could make them much more hesitant on seam routes.
Great post. Yes, they can do that and some teams do it really well. Usually teams that do it best also blitz better than teams that get flat footed in it.

For example, the Eagles. Brain Dawkins plays this very well, because the Eagles blitz so well. A guy who does not play this well is Polamalu because he has a tendency to over pursue.

I have no idea if Roy could run this well or not, but I'd really like to see it. Another option would be to move Roy around more than we do. Most teams know if he is in coverage he will be assigned one of 4 to 5 zones and they can look for these zones. No doubt he is weaker in coverage than he should be. He's also better at some things than people give him credit for. We all know this.

The best scenario for this team is not bench Roy, it is get consistent pressure on the QB. You could put the 4 best DBs in the NFL back there and if an NFL QB and his weapons have 4 to 5 seconds they will beat them.

TEK2000

Reaction score
bbgun;1777918 said:
A thread dedicated to a play that Roy has taken full blame for (duh). Gives new meaning to the word "pointless."

Did someone write that in an article with a quote from Roy? I'm interested to see what Roy said following the game.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1778669 said:
The best scenario for this team is not bench Roy, it is get consistent pressure on the QB. You could put the 4 best DBs in the NFL back there and if an NFL QB and his weapons have 4 to 5 seconds they will beat them.

Guys like Spencer will have to stay on their feet, first. Can't sack the QB on your back.

http://img222.*************/img222/503/12615825el7.jpg

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
TEK2000;1778672 said:
Did someone write that in an article with a quote from Roy? I'm interested to see what Roy said following the game.

Williams takes blame

Safety Roy Williams was trying to cover the Commanders' Chris Cooley when the tight end caught a 19-yard touchdown pass that gave Washington a 7-0 first-quarter lead.

"I'll take it," Williams said. "I was covering him. They didn't even really sneak in behind me. I just opened up too fast and they scored and that was pretty much it."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
bbgun;1778680 said:
Guys like Spencer will have to stay on their feet, first. Can't sack the QB on your back.

http://img222.*************/img222/503/12615825el7.jpg
If I believed that happens every single play, I'd worry.

I really would.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
bbgun;1778682 said:
Williams takes blame
"I'll take it," Williams said. "I just opened up too fast ..."

... if we could align Roy offset a bit so that he doesn't have to worry about so much territory towards the middle and only has to bracket the play towards the sidelines then he could keep a greater portion of the plays in front of him.

That way he can keep his hips closed, or more importantly square to the ball and defend the play going forward.

It's not an uncommon problem from peewee ball to the NFL. Some players are better at swiveling their hips and they lose very little speed when doing it. Others are not so great.

One of the best in the NFL at swiveling his hips without losing speed is on the Cowboys - Terence Newman. That's why he so hard to rocket past. His transition from backpedal to front pedal is so fluid.

We need to keep Roy out of those type of coverage situations. Even if it means we give up some dink and dunk passes ala Shockey. Roy will tend to punish the receiver more often than not on those plays and it will pay dividends on a 60 minute game and a 16 game season.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
bbgun;1778682 said:
Williams takes blame

Safety Roy Williams was trying to cover the Commanders' Chris Cooley when the tight end caught a 19-yard touchdown pass that gave Washington a 7-0 first-quarter lead.

"I'll take it," Williams said. "I was covering him. They didn't even really sneak in behind me. I just opened up too fast and they scored and that was pretty much it."

If Roy really said that, then let their be weeping and knashing of teeth from all Roy apologist. Your boy just stabbed ya'll in the back.

:laugh2:

baj1dallas

Reaction score
maybe you can give extra blame to Roy for not realizing it was Cooley who was a bigger threat than the outside receiver?