VIDEO: Cowboys Forced to Reveal New Stadium Plans

Blake

Reaction score
On the radio that the Cowboys have released the plans for the new stadium this morning. However I havent seen talk of it anywhere on this board, has anyone seen the pictures yet?

EDIT: N/m, I see there is a picture in this thread, though it doesnt reveal much.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Plans for stadium unveiled

Cowboys' blueprints call for field-level suites, standing-room-only seats

08:31 AM CST on Saturday, November 11, 2006

By JEFF MOSIER / The Dallas Morning News

ARLINGTON – High-roller Dallas Cowboys fans will need to take a step down before they take their seats at the team's new stadium in Arlington.

Preliminary plans released late Friday afternoon show that the $650 million stadium will offer 51 field-level suites ringing the stands. The floors of the 18 Touchdown Suites in the end zone and 33 Sideline Suites will be a foot and a half below the playing field.

It's not known what those suites would cost, but fans and corporations would probably pay a premium to stare running back Julius Jones – or whoever is playing for the team in 2009 – straight in the eyes.

Jack Hill, the Cowboys' stadium construction manager, declined to comment Friday night and referred all questions about the design to team spokesman Brett Daniels. Mr. Daniels could not be reached for comment.

Team officials had resisted releasing the documents until the state attorney general ordered that they be made public. No high-ranking team officials were at Arlington City Hall to explain any of the architectural or mechanical drawings.

One Cowboys employee, who said she didn't even have an official title, handed out sheets saying the designs were copyrighted and threatened legal action if they were reproduced. The team and the city are jointly funding the stadium.

The city did not take an official stance about whether the documents should be released.

An attorney representing The Dallas Morning News said the drawings fall under the "fair use" exemption, which allows the media to reproduce copyrighted material for the purposes of news reporting.

Trey Yelverton, deputy city manager for economic development, said the plans were about a year old and could change before they are finalized.

A bit of insight
Although some details of the project weren't clear, the four large books of architectural and engineering designs at Arlington City Hall provided some insight into the Cowboys' future home. The covers called the HKS-designed work in progress the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, an apparent play on the original name of Ameriquest Field. When the current home of the Texas Rangers opened, it was called The Ballpark in Arlington, a name ridiculed by many when it was announced.

The naming rights to the Cowboys' stadium, however, are expected to sell quickly.

The drawings show that the Cowboys' new home will have a different style from the more old-fashioned, red brick Ameriquest Field a few blocks away. The stadium's exterior will be covered mostly with glazed aluminum wall panels. Small amounts of limestone veneer will be used to offset the metal.

A nearly 300-foot-tall arch will span the length of the stadium dome, anchored to the ground at each end. The stadium also will have a retractable roof as previously announced, and doors will allow each end zone to be opened.

A Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame is planned for the appropriately named Hall of Fame level. The drawings also include a site for a large sculpture northeast of the stadium, close to Randol Mill Road.

Seating options
Those fans who don't want – or can't get – field-level suites will have the option of three levels of suites stacked on top of each other. Starting from the top, they are the Star, Ring of Honor and Silver levels.

For those who think that sitting is for wimps, the stadium will have room for 12,336 standing-room-only seats. The team has said the stadium will seat about 75,000.

The drawings also give a hint of who might share the stadium with the Cowboys. The diagrams show the location of the locker room for the Dallas Desperados, the arena league football team owned by Jerry Jones.

The Desperados now play at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Plans for another possible tenant might be wishful thinking and may annoy Dallas Mayor Laura Miller. The drawings include offices for Cotton Bowl officials – in case the New Year's Day bowl game is moved from Fair Park.

E-mail jmosier@***BANNED-URL***

BY THE NUMBERS

Field-level suites, including 33 on the sidelines and 18 in the end zones

Seating capacity of the stadium's suites

Standing-room-only capacity

Obscured-view seats

Estimated total seating capacity

Feet between the field level and upper concourse

Feet in height of the arch spanning the stadium roof

LINK

Reaction score
I wonder how that Nike idea would work out since the NFL is officially licensed by Reebok. I like the sound of Verizon Stadium..

skinsngibbs4life

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1155557 said:
I wonder how that Nike idea would work out since the NFL is officially licensed by Reebok. I like the sound of Verizon Stadium..

Ugh, I would hate it. The wizards play at the "Verizon Center". I don't want the cowboys stadium associated with anything involving DC sports :laugh2:;)

Reaction score
skinsngibbs4life;1155563 said:
Ugh, I would hate it. The wizards play at the "Verizon Center". I don't want the cowboys stadium associated with anything involving DC sports :laugh2:;)

I only stated that because the Cowboys have a partnership with Verizon. I'm not too thrilled of the other names.....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Field-level suites.

Imagine how awesome that will be...close up and personal, yet in full luxury.

Hey, in the next life, I guess.

Reaction score
Wood;1155386 said:
I am writing a letter to our congressmen here in New Jersey to see if some of our tax dollars can be diverted to Arlington to help build this next great stadium.

LMAOOOO, yeah I think I'll do the same thing!

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Regardless of the stadium name I wish they would name the playing suface "Landry Field". It could be referred to as Landry Field at Verizon Stadium.

cowboyed

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1155577 said:
Regardless of the stadium name I wish they would name the playing suface "Landry Field". It could be referred to as Landry Field at Verizon Stadium.

How about "Sally Field"

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra;1155574 said:
Field-level suites.

Imagine how awesome that will be...close up and personal, yet in full luxury.

Hey, in the next life, I guess.
Yeah, those field level suites are a cool idea. Not sure how much of the game one could actually see from the window, but it would be quite nice anyway (obviously there would be TV monitors ...)