Video: Drew Hensons week 2 passes NFLEL

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Forget it, I found out how to do it. :bang2: Thanks.

Rich.............

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks for the video.

I must say I was not impressed.
Everything he threw was a dump off. No strikes down field. And his windup takes forever... NFL DBs would pick him off left and right. No wonder they were trying to change his throwing motion.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I just got a chance to watch the video. Very good work theeb2...Thank You.

What I noticed first of all is that Henson is NOT back to his old throwing mechanics. He now holds the ball up around his chest where he used to hold it down in front of his stomach. He no longer uses that long looping throwing motion that he used coming in and his release is much quicker. He does still have a low release but I'm ok with that because he gets the ball out much quicker.

His mechanics are not what I would call "text book" now but they are so greatly improved over what he had coming in I can't believe that anyone would say he had reverted back to his old style. I think he has just found the style that will work for him because his old form was never going to get it in the NFL. Actually the way he throws now with that "Dart" motion is Very reminiscent of Dan Marino who threw with that "Dart" type throw. It makes for a quick release and accurate throws and both are very good things.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Thanks for the video.

Everything he threw was a dump off. No strikes down field. And his windup takes forever... NFL DBs would pick him off left and right. No wonder they were trying to change his throwing motion.
You've got to be kidding me!! In his old throwing motion his windup took forever but he is NOT throwing the way he did two years ago. He has about as quick of a release in that video as anyone you will see. Did you actually watch it?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
You've got to be kidding me!! In his old throwing motion his windup took forever but he is NOT throwing the way he did two years ago. He has about as quick of a release in that video as anyone you will see. Did you actually watch it?

I don't know, but I don't see where he still have 3/4 motion? I mean can somone point to me a QB in NFL who doesn't do that? I have observed even Manning doing that on many occasions.

I think, his motion has been sliced and diced so much, that I guess some tend to look for it. Now I am not saying his is very classic motion etc., but its nowhere near unarthodox as Phillip Rivers is.

One thing I will say between first week and last week is, This week he went for quick throws, instead of trying to go for Long throws most of the time. He was more efficient in moving the chains.

Anyway, people expected some kind of Micheal Vick or Peyton Manning type of play, aren't going to see it in Henson too much. He was never that. He is more in the mold of Tom Brady, i.e. just do enough to get a win or do whatever necessary to get a win. Pretty much a staple of Michigan QBs. But he does have the arm/Athletism to make some great plays, much like he did on his TDs, but those are usually few and very seldom.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I thought he looked good, but nothing to absolutely rave about. His footwork was okay. The best part was his short to intermediate throws were very pinpoint for the most part. He only threw two deep passes and one wasn't very good and the other one was too well covered.

He still has a tad bit of the three quarter delivery and that's why some of his passes miss high. His TD throw was ill advised, but was really an incredible athletic throw nonetheless.

He had three poor short passes. Two of them I think either he or his receivers got confused as to what route they were supposed to go. The last one, that almost got picked off, was Henson missing a read.

I don't expect him to start this season, but if he continues to build off this performance I don't see why he shouldn't be on the roster.

Rich..........

superpunk

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Thanks for the video.

Are you kidding me? His delivery looks VERY quick. I don't know a DB in the league who could jump those curls and out routes. He's playing within the offense, making reads, and getting rid of the ball. The only thing I noticed, is that he needs to know when to take a little off his passes, and not try to take people's heads fof when they're 5 feet away.

Anyone else notice, the one play where he scrambled a bit because the pocket collapsed, there was a TE on the other side WIDE open. Just a little loft over the line, and they gain 15 yards - but that was my only criticism.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Encore said:
Thank you.

Drew does two things I've noticed.

Throws the check down and Stares his WR down the whole time, or so it seems.

I still see improvment from week 1.
It appeared to me that he was locked onto one reciever.
I only watched about half of the video.
I first noticed that the plays developed really fast, the I noticed that it looked like he was only looking for one reciever.
Either way, he looks pretty good. One time it looked like he was throwing to T.O. :)

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Are you kidding me? His delivery looks VERY quick. I don't know a DB in the league who could jump those curls and out routes. He's playing within the offense, making reads, and getting rid of the ball. The only thing I noticed, is that he needs to know when to take a little off his passes, and not try to take people's heads fof when they're 5 feet away.

Anyone else notice, the one play where he scrambled a bit because the pocket collapsed, there was a TE on the other side WIDE open. Just a little loft over the line, and they gain 15 yards - but that was my only criticism.

Trust me, the two times I went to games in Texas Stadium last year, I was yelling at Drew or telling my friend how there were recievers wide open underneath, when he throws long or takes a sack waiting for long throw.

I think in Drew Bledsoe's case, thats his weakness in the sense he always looks for long bomb, while in some QBs case, we viewers really don't know. Maybe when he looked he was covered or seemed covered and had to move away from him. Or that he misread or maybe WR/TE ran the wrong route etc.

Whatever the case is, I think thats pretty much a norm, especially this early in the season even in NFLE, that they miss open guys many times. Heck remember, last year, Panthers game, how it seemed like Jake Delhomme failed to see wide open Steve Smith!! Now that should be a shocker, but my suspecion on that was, he wasn't open when Delhomme looked at him, but camera caught after the fact.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Thanks for the video.

So, if the coverage was there downfield, and he forced the ball into the coverage, you'd be all over him for that.

The fact is, he made good decisions.

With regard to his "windup"

3:21- Throws it away deep. But that's not a windup. In fact, if you saw the game, both announcers comment on how smart it was of him to throw the ball away because the guy was covered. But I don't see a windup there.

5:10- Short release and the ball rockets out of his hand

5:32- same thing

6:32 You see a windup? Short motion, the ball flies out.

And 7:22...he's the only guy on our roster who could make this play.

He did a nice job. Played a mistake free game. I thought that's what Parcells values most...how a QB handles the ball and manages the game.

Shoot him for throwing underneath routes early in the game.

superpunk

Reaction score
RCF - right, there are alwayts misses. This play, on replay, it looked like Drew saw the TE, went to throw, and pulled it down for whatever reason. I didn't understand it, but he probably saw something I didn't. I just never see him make any touch throws, and sometimes that's necessary.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
superpunk said:
RCF - right, there are alwayts misses. This play, on replay, it looked like Drew saw the TE, went to throw, and pulled it down for whatever reason. I didn't understand it, but he probably saw something I didn't. I just never see him make any touch throws, and sometimes that's necessary.

Yeah, I guess if you never saw him Michigan, I doubt you did see. And to tell you the truth, I don't see the excellent Deep ball throws he used to Make in Michigan. I am hoping he gets that back before this NFLE season is over.

So far he hasn't been that good on Deep throws, but then the times he has thrown those, no one was open anyway, so probably those were just throw aways in last minute.

But during last two pre-seasons, his Deep balls have actually gotten worse from the first time he played. Probably a by product of the machanics tuning.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Shoot him for throwing underneath routes early in the game.

Actually, I think thats what he did better in this game vs previous games. He went with High percentage of throws mostly, instead of his deep or mid-deep throws he tried to make first week.

I thought he was pressing too much the first week. He learned quickly I think. But thats my opinion ( I know you are not knocking him with that statement though).

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, I guess if you never saw him Michigan, I doubt you did see. And to tell you the truth, I don't see the excellent Deep ball throws he used to Make in Michigan. I am hoping he gets that back before this NFLE season is over.

So far he hasn't been that good on Deep throws, but then the times he has thrown those, no one was open anyway, so probably those were just throw aways in last minute.

But during last two pre-seasons, his Deep balls have actually gotten worse from the first time he played. Probably a by product of the machanics tuning.

This is dead on accurate. I did watch him at Michigan...and he had a nice touch on the deep throws.

So far, we haven't see anyone open deep for him in NFLE...and in fact, on this broadcast both guys mentioned how it was a good decision to throw the ball away on that endzone throw.

That said, his arm, IMO he's always been best on 20-30 yard throws...

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Actually, I think thats what he did better in this game vs previous games. He went with High percentage of throws mostly, instead of his deep or mid-deep throws he tried to make first week.

I thought he was pressing too much the first week. He learned quickly I think. But thats my opinion ( I know you are not knocking him with that statement though).

Nope. It takes patience to manage a game like he did and also to resist throwing the ball all over the field..especially, when you've got something to prove.

Week one...he was alarming deliberate...which is something that started happening after his first preseason with the Cowboys.

This game, he looked more intuitive.

Hey...it's progress...and that's all that matters.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Question is does the Fire have a WR who is a deep threat? One thing is clear Henson hit 71% of his passes this past game and threw 1 TD 0 ints and 0 sacks.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Nope. It takes patience to manage a game like he did and also to resist throwing the ball all over the field..especially, when you've got something to prove.

Week one...he was alarming deliberate...which is something that started happening after his first preseason with the Cowboys.
This game, he looked more intuitive.

Hey...it's progress...and that's all that matters.

True, maybe his coaches had the same talk with him. I am actually liking this Tomsula guy. He seems intent on getting Drew Henson to have fun vs being serious.

Although I doubt he will ever be completely successful in it. Its one of the main reasons, Drew Henson Reminds me of Aikman. Both seem way too serious on field. Does seem like Henson is trying to have more fun though.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Question is does the Fire have a WR who is a deep threat? One thing is clear Henson hit 71% of his passes this past game and threw 1 TD 0 ints and 0 sacks.

Seems like Kendrick Starling is the deep guy. But the deep pass he threw was for him and he never even got close to getting open. I thought Pass sailed out of bounds, but on second thought, Henson probably threw it away.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:

Yep...

He did what he was supposed to.

He can't do more than that.

Some people talk like it's Madden 2006 and that he should be throwing the ball all over the field...for 450+ yards...and 5 TD's.

He executed a game plan. Made underneath throws early..then intermediate routes when those opened up later in the game.

AND I still say he's the only guy we have on the roster who could have made the play that he did on the TD pass...and I don't care where he was playing...NFLE or Mars...that was a heck of a pass.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yep...

He did what he was supposed to.

He can't do more than that.

Some people talk like it's Madden 2006 and that he should be throwing the ball all over the field...for 450+ yards...and 5 TD's.

He executed a game plan. Made underneath throws early..then intermediate routes when those opened up later in the game.

AND I still say he's the only guy we have on the roster who could have made the play that he did on the TD pass...and I don't care where he was playing...NFLE or Mars...that was a heck of a pass.

I agree this is not madden or some back yard football game, many of the short passes appeared to be designed plays intended to be thrown short. If the defense is giving you the shorter passes you take it. Myself I have no concern about Henson ability to throw the deep ball I think the biggest concern should be his ability to lead an offense and thus far he is not making drive killing mistakes. Season is still young but thus far Henson has nothing to be ashamed of.