Video: Drew Hensons week 2 passes NFLEL

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'll admit, that TD throw was nice. However, he made a couple of evry questionable throws and let's not forget, it's against NFL Europe talent.

rw54

Reaction score
Thanks for the video!!! I just want Henson to get comfortable. Last preseason he looked "robotic" as Juke says. I want him to relax and be a football player. A player will never get better as long as he is thinking or uncomfortable. What I liked the most was he seemed liked he was beginning to relax and play. He has a good arm, athletic ability, and intelligence. Just play football.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'll admit, that TD throw was nice. However, he made a couple of evry questionable throws and let's not forget, it's against NFL Europe talent.

Also do not forget that its WITH NFL Europe talent as well. You have to look at both sides of the coin.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I just got a chance to watch the video. Very good work theeb2...Thank You.

What I noticed first of all is that Henson is NOT back to his old throwing mechanics. He now holds the ball up around his chest where he used to hold it down in front of his stomach. He no longer uses that long looping throwing motion that he used coming in and his release is much quicker. He does still have a low release but I'm ok with that because he gets the ball out much quicker.

His mechanics are not what I would call "text book" now but they are so greatly improved over what he had coming in I can't believe that anyone would say he had reverted back to his old style. I think he has just found the style that will work for him because his old form was never going to get it in the NFL. Actually the way he throws now with that "Dart" motion is Very reminiscent of Dan Marino who threw with that "Dart" type throw. It makes for a quick release and accurate throws and both are very good things.

very good observation

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Heck remember, last year, Panthers game, how it seemed like Jake Delhomme failed to see wide open Steve Smith!! Now that should be a shocker, but my suspecion on that was, he wasn't open when Delhomme looked at him, but camera caught after the fact.

Steve Smith wasn't really that wide-open

aikemirv

Reaction score
Weeks will tell the story with Henson, not one game,. But I will say this:

For a guy who has only started 11 games since High School, that was an amazing game.

Some want to complain about how highly touted this guy is and how he has not earned that rep, but a guy who has only started 11 games since high school and puts up that kind of performance is pretty amazing if you ask me!

MikeD17

Benched
Reaction score
I hate to say this but henson reminds me so much of hutchinson except with alot worse throwing motion. Guys lets face it, this guy is not starting material, at best he's a third string qb.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MikeD17 said:
I hate to say this but henson reminds me so much of hutchinson except with alot worse throwing motion. Guys lets face it, this guy is not starting material, at best he's a third string qb.

Hutch could not hold on to the ball constantly getting it knocked out of his hands. Henson has not shown that at all as for throwing motion if he is getting the ball in the proper location and on time which he has been in NFLE thus far I could careless if he is throwing motion is perfect god knows many NFL QB's do not have picture perfect delivery.

acheman

Reaction score
The funny thing is, despite Henson's funky delivery (which I have no problem with) he is by far more polished than CHutch. He has better pocket awareness, and he is starting to show better field-vision.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
aikemirv said:
Weeks will tell the story with Henson, not one game,. But I will say this:

For a guy who has only started 11 games since High School, that was an amazing game.

Some want to complain about how highly touted this guy is and how he has not earned that rep, but a guy who has only started 11 games since high school and puts up that kind of performance is pretty amazing if you ask me!

On the nosey.

And we don't have anyone else on this roster who could have made the play he did on the TD pass...and that is part of the reason he was touted so highly.

Now, that said, he has a way to go...but I still shake my head over the detractors.

The guy has started ELEVEN games since High School!

Give him a chance. We have a starting QB in Bledsoe, so there's no rush.

And I'll also add, Henson isn't sitting back expecting things to be handed to him. He's working hard. That's good enough for me.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
acheman said:
The funny thing is, despite Henson's funky delivery (which I have no problem with) he is by far more polished than CHutch. He has better pocket awareness, and he is starting to show better field-vision.

This may start a flame war...but I'm comfortable in saying he's got as good or at times, better pocket awareness than our starting QB...and certainly more mobility.

He still needs to develop his vision...but that will come with time, hopefully.

superpunk

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
and certainly more mobility.

Understatement of the millenium. That TD throw, no way Bledsoe makes that play. What were there, three defenders in the backfield? Bledsoe goes down, we take the 3 points. Henson made an ill-advised, perfect throw, LOL. I loved it. I'm hoping for some more improvement this weekend.:D

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Understatement of the millenium. That TD throw, no way Bledsoe makes that play. What were there, three defenders in the backfield? Bledsoe goes down, we take the 3 points. Henson made an ill-advised, perfect throw, LOL. I loved it. I'm hoping for some more improvement this weekend.:D

And...let's not overlook the fact that he got the ball to a perfect spot...throwing across his body and sorta falling away...AND..he had the presence of mind not to panic...

Romo might have had the feet for that play but not the arm...Bledsoe has the arm but not the feet.

Henson made a play just like this one while at Michigan....across the body throw to David Terrell...only with more zip on the ball...and the play was more toward the center of the endzone.

Hey...again...it's VERY early...but this is the kinda stuff that has true fans of the team, optimistic.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
And...let's not overlook the fact that he got the ball to a perfect spot...throwing across his body and sorta falling away...AND..he had the presence of mind not to panic...

Romo might have had the feet for that play but not the arm...Bledsoe has the arm but not the feet.

Henson made a play just like this one while at Michigan....across the body throw to David Terrell...only with more zip on the ball...and the play was more toward the center of the endzone.

Hey...again...it's VERY early...but this is the kinda stuff that has true fans of the team, optimistic.

I'll be honest - and I'm not trying to start any kind of flame war...but that pass seemed more like a lucky throw than a true display of talent to me. I was a little more interested in the catch, to be honest.

I'm not knocking henson - he did some really good things in that game. I was more impressed with some other passes, though, myself.

And he needs to stand up straight.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
I'll be honest - and I'm not trying to start any kind of flame war...but that pass seemed more like a lucky throw than a true display of talent to me. I was a little more interested in the catch, to be honest.

I'm not knocking henson - he did some really good things in that game. I was more impressed with some other passes, though, myself.

No way that was a lucky catch. One thing Henson usually never does is throw, Lucky passes. He never did that in College, which is why he has such low INterception ratio.

Now was it a good catch? Heck yeah. But no matter how you want to slice, that throw was a diliberate throw, since there was no one in the vicinity to Int it nor could DB get there before WR on that throw. In others words, that throw would have worked in NFL too, as long as WR would make the same kind of catch.

superpunk

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

He threw it to the corner of the end zone, off his back foot, being chased by defenders. His receiver was 1 on 1, and had outside position on the defender. The pass got where it needed to be, only his receiver had a chance on the ball. I thought it looked way lucky at first, too, but on further observation, it was just a phenomenally athletic play.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
superpunk said:
He threw it to the corner of the end zone, off his back foot, being chased by defenders. His receiver was 1 on 1, and had outside position on the defender. The pass got where it needed to be, only his receiver had a chance on the ball. I thought it looked way lucky at first, too, but on further observation, it was just a phenomenally athletic play.

Me too, I didn't notice why it was good untill the replay and where the players were positioned etc.