Video: Eagles big 3rd down conversion... Roy's fault?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1838654 said:
Where are you guys?

In typical fashion, are you guys gonna spin it into Roy doing something great? Or, blaming someone else? Horsecollar mean nothing?

Read it again, down by FOUR. We needed ONE stop and they found good old #31. I'm sure you guys will act as if those plays didn't matter.

I guess you guys won't acknowledge it, because the great Roy can do no wrong.

they should have blitzed in that situation...it was working basically all day...

instead they play bad zone defense, and give up the big play

it realyl doesnt matter, we werent going to win anyway unless maybe somehow Crayton would have had a long punt return for a TD...Romo was hopeless today

David

TEK2000

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1838654 said:
Where are you guys?

In typical fashion, are you guys gonna spin it into Roy doing something great? Or, blaming someone else? Horsecollar mean nothing?

Read it again, down by FOUR. We needed ONE stop and they found good old #31. I'm sure you guys will act as if those plays didn't matter.

I guess you guys won't acknowledge it, because the great Roy can do no wrong.

Having fun?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
TEK2000;1838486 said:
I'm sticking with thinking that Keith Davis didn't get over there like he was supposed to

Im not going to tell you what to think, but Roy Williams was the one who let a 5th round rookie run right by him without so much as a look or a shrug.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
TEK2000;1838670 said:
Having fun?

Actually, no.

I hate that the Boys lost, and I hate that Romo dropped a big one on the field today, but I've been coming here for years and reading endless posts about Roy's greatness.

Critical point in the game and Roy delivered what he always does - nothing.

To top it off, the usual guys will have us believe that he wasn't at fault or that those plays didn't matter.

Unbelievable, yet so typical.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Wolfpack;1838295 said:
Its a zone defense with Roy playing a short middle zone. The TE is looking for the place that is just over him and under (or between) the deep coverage. Thats a fault of the coverage call...it was a great route vs that zone call.

And you know that was the call how?

Looked like poor Safety play all around. Roy was caught upfield well in front of where the play went. Usually that is the safeties responsibilty. One or both screwed up badly.

Just 1 loss!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967;1838663 said:
they should have blitzed in that situation...it was working basically all day...

instead they play bad zone defense, and give up the big play

it realyl doesnt matter, we werent going to win anyway unless maybe somehow Crayton would have had a long punt return for a TD...Romo was hopeless today

David

It seems to me Crayton mostly fair catches or lets it go.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TEK2000;1838127 said:
I'll be the first to blame it on Keith Davis.

I posted that right after the game, but that entire thread has been deleted for some reason.

It's Cover 2, and Roy was the dime linebacker. He dropped into his zone, just as he should. His job isn't to "cover" the tight end, it's to drop into his zone, deep enough to make it a difficult throw and allow the safety to make the play. He was 20 yards downfield, so he was plenty deep enough. He also had another receiver threatening the middle zone underneath. Hamlin was the safety over the top, but he had another receiver coming right at him. Davis was on the other side, but the only receiver on his side ran a short route. That meant Davis had to watch the backside tight end running a post into the deep middle, and he got there too late.

I wonder how many people will call this an "excuse" for Roy.

If Roy was in Keith Davis' spot and Bradie James was in Roy Williams' spot.... who gets the blame?

I've brought up this point before, too. Put Roy in any other nearby player's spot on the field, have him do the exact same thing that that player did, and he'd still get the blame. If he was where Hamlin was and did the same thing, he'd get the blame because he was the safety on the tight end's side and he didn't cover him. There have been plenty of other cases in other games. If Roy is anywhere close, he'll always get the blame. Heck, if he's on the opposite side of the field when someone makes a big play and the camera zooms in on him when we huddle up, you KNOW some people will blame him for that play, too.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Its never Roys fault, is it? It just amazes me that week after week, the same people can pass the buck off to others, and most of you STILL believe it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dbair1967;1838128 said:
bad defense....just bad defense

you have the other team 3rd and 9 with the game on the line...they havent handled our pressure blitzes all day, and they play a safe coverage scheme...

just another exclamation point on the worst played and worst coacged game we've had all yearl..reminded me of the Dave Campo & Quincy Carter glory days today

ultimately its hard to blame a defense for a loss when you hold the other team to 10 pts in a home game...even if they had stopped them on that 3rd and 9, I doubt Romo would have done anything to get us in the endzone

David

There's The spirit.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1838715 said:
It's Cover 2, and Roy was the dime linebacker. He dropped into his zone, just as he should. His job isn't to "cover" the tight end, it's to drop into his zone, deep enough to make it a difficult throw and allow the safety to make the play. He was 20 yards downfield, so he was plenty deep enough. He also had another receiver threatening the middle zone underneath. Hamlin was the safety over the top, but he had another receiver coming right at him. Davis was on the other side, but the only receiver on his side ran a short route. That meant Davis had to watch the backside tight end running a post into the deep middle, and he got there too late.

Is it too much to ask Roy to make a play on the ball in the air instead of standing there in his cement cleats?

Geez Adam, he did nothing. No play what so ever. How can you keep justifying him?

What about the next play (Westbrook run)? Ellis moves up the field opening up a lane for Westbrook AND ROY. Roy's outside of James, responsible for run support, and.....? Gets caught looking inside and takes himself right out of the play, but I guess that was Davis/Stewart/Wade/Jerry/Yours/My fault too.

At what point does Roy become responsible for his own play (or lack thereof)?

I'm sure the horsecollar wasn't his fault either.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Roy needs to make a quick decision there. I would be far more understanding if there was a wide receiver crossing in front of him that forced him to stay home. But rewatching it there was a receiver dragging very shallow that he had ZERO chance of covering. He hesitates and lets TE by him.

Instincts of good cover guys reading QB and he'd have ran with TE there. Safeties sure seam tied up over the top on WR's.

Roy is not a great cover guy, and unfortunately opponents over the years know that and expose him.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1838725 said:
Its never Roys fault, is it?

Of course it is -- when it's his fault.

Here's a question for you -- who allowed Chris Cooley's TD catch a few weeks ago?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1838745 said:
Is it too much to ask Roy to make a play on the ball in the air instead of standing there in his cement cleats?

Geez Adam, he did nothing. No play what so ever. How can you keep justifying him?

What about the next play (Westbrook run)? Ellis moves up the field opening up a lane for Westbrook AND ROY. Roy's outside of James, responsible for run support, and.....? Gets caught looking inside and takes himself right out of the play, but I guess that was Davis/Stewart/Wade/Jerry/Yours/My fault too.

At what point does Roy become responsible for his own play (or lack thereof)?

I'm sure the horsecollar wasn't his fault either.

what about the plays roy did make today? Howbout the great tackle he made all alone on westbrook on the screen early in the 4th? If he doesnt tackle him there he might still be running?

Howbout roy lining up one on one with westbrook outside and westbrook catching a ball for four yards?

People go crazy when we lose.

To single out one person is nuts. To even say boo about this defense right now is silly. They were all over the field today.

as bad as we played we needed one play to have a lead in the end, for the first time all year we didnt get that play.

The nfl is about adversity and competition. The eagles gave it everything they had today. On most days Romo would have seperated the game early on when he missed a couple of normally easy throws.

The eagles play today was a tribute to the spirit of the nfl and the proof that scheduling divisional games in the last month of the season is a great thing. Nothing should be easy, everything has to be earned.

Now all the streaks are over, the winning streak, the td streak, romo playing like a magician etc etc etc.....

Now we can get back to just playing the game and forget about all this superbowl talk and try and win a game in carolina.

The only thing I am upset about is I wanted to officially end the eagles season today, oh well. Hopefully we can do that too the Commanders in two weeks.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Nors;1838710 said:
And you know that was the call how?

Looked like poor Safety play all around. Roy was caught upfield well in front of where the play went. Usually that is the safeties responsibilty. One or both screwed up badly.

Just 1 loss!

:laugh1:

Some deep football discussion here boy. Learn what zone coverage is, football101.com or something should help.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Today, my gripe is with the offense... I'll get back to RW next week. ;)

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Wolfpack;1838781 said:
:laugh1:

Some deep football discussion here boy. Learn what zone coverage is, football101.com or something should help.

Thats got to be page 1 from the Roy apologist play book.

Yet again a team targets #31 when they need a big play, and yet again its some one elses fault.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1838725 said:
Its never Roys fault, is it? It just amazes me that week after week, the same people can pass the buck off to others, and most of you STILL believe it.

not when your D holds the other team to 10 pts at home

Mr Romo and Mr Garrett pretty much share responsibility for the L today

David