Video: Jackie Battle may have "it"

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I highly doubt Battle will refuse to play special teams for the Cowboys, but a lot of special teams is about want-to and having enough passion for the sport to take enjoyment from the dirty work. If you're just doing it because you have to to earn a paycheck, its going to show. Kevin Burnett is a gifted athlete, but he's absolutely sucked on special teams for two years in a row. He obviously feels like its beneath him, and it shows. I always felt that was why Parcells put a huge onus on his young players playing special teams, no matter how highly they were drafted. Even if he had no plans for them playing a lot of special teams, he still put them through the rigors as a litmus test to judge how much passion and love they had for the game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1530522 said:
Battle looks even stiffer than Thompson, and he runs way too upright.

I'm much more interested in Alonzo Coleman. I was pretty shocked he didn't get drafted. Although, I seem to recall he got the biggest signing bonus out of all of Dallas' UDFAs

and all indications are that he's a pretty quick guy w/ a burst

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1530488 said:
Alot of people care, thats why Miami, and LSU, and Texas are always the top teams that get there players drafted in the First round.

If this kid was so great, many other teams would have drafted him, but they didn't. He might succeed who knows. But right now, i don't think anyone who was undrafted can have "it". When he gets into TC we will see how much "it" he has. Until then sorry if i don't droll over this guy. The word Fodder is written on his forehead in my eyes
Sure, of course he'll have to prove he belongs in TC....just like Spencer, Marten, Free, Stanback, etc. Just like big-time schoolers Jacob Rodgers, Skylar Green, etc. proved that they didn't belong....Here's a thought, maybe you should quit talking smack about "small" school players especially since current prominent players on the roster happen to come from those type of schools....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I don't see how Battle will beat out Tyson. Everyone knows that BP was holding Tyson back and thats why he was always straight ahead.........

oh wait......does that only work for Julius?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1530338 said:
Battle is a change of pace back.

Barber is basically the same running back except smaller and therefore not going to be as durable considering the hits he is going to take inside. Barber is great at what he does but he is going to wear down... Battle is much larger; I would like to have him on the roster and hopefully take over Barbers' backup role.

Just a thought but think of the uproar if we kept battle and traded barber! Wow the barber lovers would mutiny!:lmao2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thehoofbite;1530681 said:
Everyone knows that BP was holding Tyson back and thats why he was always straight ahead.........
Tyson had no wiggle in college.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
juckie;1529812 said:

img1226HPtag.jpg

BIGWAY

Reaction score
Maybe Alonzo Coleman has it. He had four 1,000 yd seasons, only the 7th player in NCAA history to do so. He is from a small University but those are some eyebrow raising stats. I have nwver seen any highlights on him but he could be a diamond in the rough. Has anyone out there ever seen him play?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
5mics;1530668 said:
Sure, of course he'll have to prove he belongs in TC....just like Spencer, Marten, Free, Stanback, etc. Just like big-time schoolers Jacob Rodgers, Skylar Green, etc. proved that they didn't belong....Here's a thought, maybe you should quit talking smack about "small" school players especially since current prominent players on the roster happen to come from those type of schools....

I think he meant the odds are much higher having success with draft picks by going after kids from the bigger schools. Obviously the odds are either 0 or 100 for each individual as far as 'making it in the bigs' but cumulatively the odds are in the clubs favor by going with the big name schools and conferences. But they do recognize talent in players from small schools. Payton and Rice come to mind. Allen was a second rounder too I think.

BIGWAY;1530780 said:
Maybe Alonzo Coleman has it. He had four 1,000 yd seasons, only the 7th player in NCAA history to do so. He is from a small University but those are some eyebrow raising stats. I have nwver seen any highlights on him but he could be a diamond in the rough. Has anyone out there ever seen him play?

He is an exciting guy IMO. I haven't seen much of him but he should have a shot somewhere. Just a guess on my part.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You really think Battle looks stiffer than Thompson, IR?

I saw Battle make a cut or two in there that Thompson has never made.

Not that I have a dog in the fight... I actually like Thompson. He *is* stiff, but he's got enough speed that he can still make a lot of yards in a straight line.

peck-sicilyisland

Reaction score
I have watched Battle play in high school and college, I think he is going to be a really good football player on the pro level.He has great speed,and is a tough runner,he may or may not fit into the cowboys plans,but will play in the nfl.Should have been drafted.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
peck-sicilyisland;1531055 said:
I have watched Battle play in high school and college, I think he is going to be a really good football player on the pro level.He has great speed,and is a tough runner,he may or may not fit into the cowboys plans,but will play in the nfl.Should have been drafted.

That's good to know. I'm still trying to figure out how someone with his measurables wasn't drafted at all.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
jobberone;1530833 said:
I think he meant the odds are much higher having success with draft picks by going after kids from the bigger schools. Obviously the odds are either 0 or 100 for each individual as far as 'making it in the bigs' but cumulatively the odds are in the clubs favor by going with the big name schools and conferences. But they do recognize talent in players from small schools. Payton and Rice come to mind. Allen was a second rounder too I think.

He is an exciting guy IMO. I haven't seen much of him but he should have a shot somewhere. Just a guess on my part.
Yup! The GREAT L.A. was from tiny Sonoma St.

I was just giving d.k. the "business." I have a special place in my heart for the underdogs considering some of my fav Cowboys' players were from small schools like Drew Pearson, Everson Walls, Michael Downs, Eugene Lockhart, Doug Cosbie, L.A., Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Jay Novacek, and so on.....

JamaicaRector85

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having Alonzo Coleman or Battle win the 3rd running back slot, since Tyson has only shown me that he can return kicks...and be the last running back on our depth chart.

Of course when everything is said and done, may the best guy win the spot.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1531073 said:
Yup! The GREAT L.A. was from tiny Sonoma St.

I was just giving d.k. the "business." I have a special place in my heart for the underdogs considering some of my fav Cowboys' players were from small schools like Drew Pearson, Everson Walls, Michael Downs, Eugene Lockhart, Doug Cosbie, L.A., Erik Williams, Nate Newton, Jay Novacek, and so on.....

LMAO! the buisness? please, i wasn't dissing all small schools. I was dissing houston. I hate all there teams with a passion, and expect nothing but failure from all of there schools. But of course, me saying houston sucks, means that all small schools suck.

But whatever, continue you're "business"

Spectre

Reaction score
You're right...

He does have "IT"...

...The most unimpressive highlight reel ever.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1531097 said:
LMAO! the buisness? please, i wasn't dissing all small schools. I was dissing houston. I hate all there teams with a passion, and expect nothing but failure from all of there schools. But of course, me saying houston sucks, means that all small schools suck.

But whatever, continue you're "business"
Ya, I kind of get that from you. BUT, what would I expect from someone who can't "man up" and rep where he's from. Man dk99, if you're gonna dis other cities, at least have the guts to state where you're from. That hit-an-run thing that you do, that's Deadskins stuff kiddo..... :laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I admit I have been a fan of his over the last 2 season at the U of H and look forward to seeing what he can do at the next level.