VIDEO: Miles Austin Game Recap..

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
PoetTree;2189324 said:
theebs... so sorry to bother you... but do you happen to have a lower-rez version of the video? My computer can't seem to play this one due to its high quality. Yes, I know. I'm looking to upgrade. But my li'l PowerBook chugs along quite nicely for most things, even at 5 years old. However, it's really struggling to play this video. And, um, I'd really like to see it.

Any way of getting a standard-def version?

Sorry for the bother. Thanks for the time.

Peace,
Poet

will do. give me a few minutes.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
theogt;2189321 said:
Absolutely it would have for that particular pass. Now if it'd be low and on the inside, that's a different story. Placed anywhere else and Miles gets it over any corner.

Look, I've already said it was a poor route. Was that the only poor route?

He caught up quickly because the ball got there when it did. Planting his foot wouldn't cause the corner to get there any quicker. Not sure how you're going to get a corner to play further off the ball than that, but if you say so...

Yeah, the defender sucked balls on that -- that does not make Austin's route more effective. But whatever, he took what the defender gave him, which was everything. Anyone, and I mean anyone, could have run that route.

Who cares what you've said, are you the only one here? He gets a straight D- on that route, if he got an A on another, you've got your C+ (or B-, if you're splitting hairs). And I've pointed out other routes, pay attention! :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189330 said:
Yeah, the defender sucked balls on that -- that does not make Austin's route more effective. But whatever, he took what the defender gave him, which was everything. Anyone, and I mean anyone, could have run that route.
And that'a negative for Austin somehow?

Who cares what you've said, are you the only one here?
I conceded it was a bad route and you kept arguing that it was a bad route. It was polite way of saying "shut up already."

He gets a straight D- on that route, if he got an A on another, you've got your C+ (or B-, if you're splitting hairs).
LOL. He gets a D- on a route that ended up taking 20 yards.

And I've pointed out other routes, pay attention! :laugh2:
No, you haven't.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
theogt;2189360 said:
No, you haven't.

"His first route was pretty half-assed (although better than the sideline route), there was virtually nothing to his route over the middle (and in fact, a better defender could have stepped in front of that one too), he pushed off the defender on the high ball, etc."

Pay attention! :laugh2:

As far as getting twenty yards on the route, that's the difference between you and me. You simply look at results and say "good enough." I try to look at things as an objective analyst. Yes, you concede that it was a bad route, but you also say that only the biggest defenders could have taken it away, which suggests you don't put nearly enough weight on just how badly it sucked. That's what they call a "pick six" in a regular season game. He isn't doing his QBs any favors with his routes, IMO.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Seriously, also take a look at Sam Hurd on Austin's sideline route. HORRIFIC! It's the same thing that drives me nuts about watching basketball games -- a guy dribbles around the perimeter while his teammates all stand there and gawk. Cut to the basket, you stupid mofos! :laugh2:

Reggie Miller understood. He was terrific at moving without the ball. He is one of a choice few.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189386 said:
Seriously, also take a look at Sam Hurd on Austin's sideline route. HORRIFIC! It's the same thing that drives me nuts about watching basketball games -- a guy dribbles around the perimeter while his teammates all stand there and gawk. Cut to the basket, you stupid mofos! :laugh2:

Reggie Miller understood. He was terrific at moving without the ball. He is one of a choice few.

Okay, I actually watched Sam Hurd in every sequence and here's my take...

...that dude needs to get cut before the regular season. I am not kidding, he is worthless. On the postive side, he makes Austin look like an all-pro. :laugh2:

If there was any question about who gets the #3 spot between Austin and Hurd, I'm telling you right now it's Austin and it ain't even close.

sago1

Reaction score
Austin is just now stepping forward & absorbing so many of the nuances he needs to become a good WR in the NFL. Hopefully he continues to do well and become the WR we really need this year. Austin doesn't have to beat out Crayton & catch more passes. He does have to catch enough intermediate & deep passes to force opposing teams to fully account for him every time he's on the field.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
sago1;2189394 said:
Austin is just now stepping forward & absorbing so many of the nuances he needs to become a good WR in the NFL. Hopefully he continues to do well and become the WR we really need this year. Austin doesn't have to beat out Crayton & catch more passes. He does have to catch enough intermediate & deep passes to force opposing teams to fully account for him every time he's on the field.

Yeah, and I saw enough of that to believe he's going to be servicable in that role.

He's the #3 receiver, trust me on that. And I'm telling you, if we keep five receivers, chances are that Hurd isn't one of them. Amendola is quicker and Stanback has more burst and speed. Hurd is just there.

Angus

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189309 said:
I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but he didn't have to make any catches on balls that were thrown behind him, low, etc. He did catch the one high ball (but it wasn't that high) and concentrated well on the sideline route. But that route was so bad, it wouldn't take a big and strong corner to take it away. Again, a guy who gets a slightly better break on that is picking it off clean, there wouldn't even be a need to fight for the ball. His first route was pretty half-assed (although better than the sideline route), there was virtually nothing to his route over the middle (and in fact, a better defender could have stepped in front of that one too), he pushed off the defender on the high ball, etc.

Yes, the defender was ten yards off on the first catch -- he caught up quickly due to Austin's half-assed route. He could have taken the defender out of the play even more by pushing hard upfield and then making the break. Sorry, half-assed.

Maybe his coach will see things almost as well as you do and attempt to rectify mistakes.
Of course, he's only been a professional coach for a few years, so I don't know.

:)

aikemirv

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189405 said:
Yeah, and I saw enough of that to believe he's going to be servicable in that role.

He's the #3 receiver, trust me on that. And I'm telling you, if we keep five receivers, chances are that Hurd isn't one of them. Amendola is quicker and Stanback has more burst and speed. Hurd is just there.

Well, you may have not liked Hurd's routes but they have stated he is the #3 guy. Jerry went to him after the announcement that Glenn was being cut. He is not going anywhere.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
aikemirv;2189428 said:
Well, you may have not liked Hurd's routes but they have stated he is the #3 guy. Jerry went to him after the announcement that Glenn was being cut. He is not going anywhere.

We'll see. Austin is > Hurd, a blind man could see that, simply from watching that little two-minute clip of Austin's catches.

Austin isn't great, but Hurd looked awful IMO. Again, my depth chart is...

1) Owens
2) Crayton
3) Austin
4) Stanback
5) Amendola
6) Hurd

If the coaches don't agree, then they need to be fired too. :laugh2:

dre1614

Reaction score
cowboys2233;2189435 said:
We'll see. Austin is > Hurd, a blind man could see that, simply from watching that little two-minute clip of Austin's catches.

Austin isn't great, but Hurd looked awful IMO. Again, my depth chart is...

1) Owens
2) Crayton
3) Austin
4) Stanback
5) Amendola
6) Hurd

If the coaches don't agree, then they need to be fired too. :laugh2:

yeah and Im sure you know more than all our offensive coaches.:bang2::bang2::bang2:

cowboys2233

Reaction score
dre1614;2189456 said:
yeah and Im sure you know more than all our offensive coaches.:bang2::bang2::bang2:

Some of this is said tongue-in-cheek, relax Sparky. :p:

But when it comes to the #3, I will bet the farm that it's Austin and not Hurd. I know there has been some debate on this board on that issue, and I'm here to end it, baby!

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Nice. I was pretty impressed with Austin the other night.

He was making catches that were not from his M.O. for the most part.

Coming back for the football and aggrsssively going after it on the one catch was great because earlier in the game he has a slant pass broken up on him. On that play he didn't 'make himself big' and he didn't get his hands out in front of him to pluck it so the defender was able to get a hand in and knock the pass down.

The play where he goes up on 4th down and snares that pass for a 1st down had to impress the coaches.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that game alone got him back into a tie for the 3rd WR spot.