Video: Sheriff Goodell talks Pacman Jones - 11/18/08

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2429920 said:
By all rights Goodell could have kicked him out of the league. Pacman was given 1 last chance before being reinstated Jerry Jones knew it, the Union knew it and Pacman knew it the fact Goodell is even thinking about reinstating him is amazing. I don't know what last chance means to you but I think that he has been more than fair in dealing with this. Most business do not give an employee what is now 8 chances.

Sorry no offense but you don't understand my point.

Again: See i don't care how many "chances" i should get or if someone has the feeling that i am lucky to be treated that or that way. All i care is about a independent instance who determines what

a) "chance" means. To say: how a penalty by my employer can look like
b) and in what case my employer can enforce a penalty on me.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
khiladi;2429744 said:
And how many of these athletes come from high schools that reside in low income areas? Since when were they equipped in education in their youth to deal with the academics of college life? How many of these athletes come from single-parent homes? Maybe they had questionable pasts for a reason.I have no problem with a person taking money from 'alumni', while the NCAA doesn't allow it's players to be employed an earn money for a living. Hey, you can't earn an honest pay-check and be responsible in how you deal with real life, but when and if you make it to the pros, you'll be able to handle millions, right away? We will just cater to you, not make you study and work, because we want to 'win' and earn more money for our university. But when you go to the NFL, we won't be responsible for the fact your a 'thug' and have always been one.These guys are more a product of the system than anything else.

Ok, cool. Sorry but I will not let enviroment and upbringing be a crutch for why people screw up. Screwing up is on the individual not everyone else around them. Plenty of people grow up in those exact same situations and DO NOT go around screwing up all the time.

And people from better neighborhoods, and backgrounds, screw up too and do stupid things too. The single parent family and all that stuff is an excuse and something to again take the blame off the person making the mistakes and allowing them to have excuses as to why they're boneheads who continue to screw up.

And the NFL has PLENTY (as do other sports) of examples of people who come out of these bad neighborhoods, bad backgrounds, poor families and you know what? They do just fine when they get into the NFL and take care of themselves and their families without having to be an idiot and get in trouble all the time.

Sorry but those excuses simply won't float with me cause there are plenty of examples to disprove those.

khiladi;2429766 said:
As long as Pac-man Jones is hanging out with Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears while those two are drunk and riving recklessly, he won't be considered a 'thug'....
I should add the Kennedy's to the mix....

Says who? I guess maybe some people are too hung up on the word thug. Maybe criminal and just plain idiot would be better because all of those examples are the exact same thing. Criminals, idiots, morons, thugs. Pick your word, they're all the same.

In fact I'd cut Jones a break and say he's actually BETTER than Lohan or Spears in terms of just how stupid he is and the stupid things he gets into. he's certainly not as stupid, annoying, and pathetic as those two.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2430040 said:
Ok, cool. Sorry but I will not let enviroment and upbringing be a crutch for why people screw up. Screwing up is on the individual not everyone else around them. Plenty of people grow up in those exact same situations and DO NOT go around screwing up all the time.

And people from better neighborhoods, and backgrounds, screw up too and do stupid things too. The single parent family and all that stuff is an excuse and something to again take the blame off the person making the mistakes and allowing them to have excuses as to why they're boneheads who continue to screw up.

And the NFL has PLENTY (as do other sports) of examples of people who come out of these bad neighborhoods, bad backgrounds, poor families and you know what? They do just fine when they get into the NFL and take care of themselves and their families without having to be an idiot and get in trouble all the time.

Sorry but those excuses simply won't float with me cause there are plenty of examples to disprove those.

Says who? I guess maybe some people are too hung up on the word thug. Maybe criminal and just plain idiot would be better because all of those examples are the exact same thing. Criminals, idiots, morons, thugs. Pick your word, they're all the same.

In fact I'd cut Jones a break and say he's actually BETTER than Lohan or Spears in terms of just how stupid he is and the stupid things he gets into. he's certainly not as stupid, annoying, and pathetic as those two.

what a joke of a post. It's clear that people don't get the same education. People do not get the same education from being in the hood as opposed to living in the suburbs it's a fact not a crotch. So when's their people who can't even function the basic components of a computer like word and powerpoint but something like that is unheard of in the suburbs I think its clear.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2430050 said:
what a joke of a post. It's clear that people don't get the same education. People do not get the same education from being in the hood as opposed to living in the suburbs it's a fact not a crotch. So when's their people who can't even function the basic components of a computer like word and powerpoint but something like that is unheard of in the suburbs I think its clear.

I don't dispute that. I know the education isn't the same. Tell me then how there are people who have those same issues, those same lack of educational oppurtunities, who manage to grow up and do just fine without having to say "Well I screwed up and did this or that cause I grew up in this neighborhood."

Since this is a discussion particularly about athletes take a look around the league at all the players, a good number of whom came from poor backgrounds, rough neighborhoods, and many of these same disadvantages yet they some how, despite all that apparently means they shouldn't be able to, get to the dance, don't screw up routinely, and don't have to say "Well I only screw up like this cause of the poor life I've had."

The ones who screw up, like Adam Jones, are not the only ones who come from those neighborhoods and make it. Plenty do and do so without continuely getting into trouble and acting like idiots.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2430055 said:
I don't dispute that. I know the education isn't the same. Tell me then how there are people who have those same issues, those same lack of educational oppurtunities, who manage to grow up and do just fine without having to say "Well I screwed up and did this or that cause I grew up in this neighborhood."

Since this is a discussion particularly about athletes take a look around the league at all the players, a good number of whom came from poor backgrounds, rough neighborhoods, and many of these same disadvantages yet they some how, despite all that apparently means they shouldn't be able to, get to the dance, don't screw up routinely, and don't have to say "Well I only screw up like this cause of the poor life I've had."

The ones who screw up, like Adam Jones, are not the only ones who come from those neighborhoods and make it. Plenty do and do so without continuely getting into trouble and acting like idiots.

there's always an exception you know what I'm saying it's not the norm. When you see blacks as the largest population in prison yet for some reason they are one of the smaller minorities in the overall populations. Then you see how blacks are negatively portrayed in the media. It's far more common for a black to fail then succeed. You know what i'm saying?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TwentyOne;2429933 said:
Sorry no offense but you don't understand my point.

Again: See i don't care how many "chances" i should get or if someone has the feeling that i am lucky to be treated that or that way. All i care is about a independent instance who determines what

a) "chance" means. To say: how a penalty by my employer can look like
b) and in what case my employer can enforce a penalty on me.

The owner and players union gave him the authority you can disagree with that all you want but that is the way it is. Players know the rules that are set down and most do not seem to have a problem abiding by the rules of the NFL and in turn they are paid very well to play a game.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2430075 said:
there's always an exception you know what I'm saying it's not the norm. When you see blacks as the largest population in prison yet for some reason they are one of the smaller minorities in the overall populations. Then you see how blacks are negatively portrayed in the media. It's far more common for a black to fail then succeed. You know what i'm saying?

I know what you're saying but that does not excuse them, nor does it give them a legit built in crutch, for when they make bad decisions and screw up.

When you see others live in the exact same situations, and they get out and do just fine, it lessens the ability for those to say, "Yeah but my life has been so hard". It's an excuse and it's used to keep the people who use it from having to take a long look in the mirror and admit that they screwed their lives up.

I heard it said one time, and it's the best thing I've ever heard regarding this situation, that the only difference between a person who gets out of the projects (Or the hood, or poverty or whatever you choose to call the area) and is successful and doesn't get into legal trouble all the time and the ones who don't is this.

The ones who got out and bettered themselves made some good decisions in life and the ones who don't get out, or better themselves, made some bad decisions.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2430096 said:
The owner and players union gave him the authority you can disagree with that all you want but that is the way it is. Players know the rules that are set down and most do not seem to have a problem abiding by the rules of the NFL and in turn they are paid very well to play a game.

Exactly. But poor guys like Jones and Henry and anyone else who keeps screwing up it's an unfair set of rules for them that they shouldn't have to follow.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2430129 said:
Exactly. But poor guys like Jones and Henry and anyone else who keeps screwing up it's an unfair set of rules for them that they shouldn't have to follow.

In ways they should consider themselves lucky the NFL gives a lot more chances than most business do. Hell where I work you fail a drug test you’re fired no 4 weeks off you are fired go get another job. These men have a chance to make a very good living and they choose to go out and continually get into trouble time after time? And somehow the League or Goodell is treating them unfairly? Give me a break:lmao2:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2430137 said:
In ways they should consider themselves lucky the NFL gives a lot more chances than most business do. Hell where I work you fail a drug test you’re fired no 4 weeks off you are fired go get another job. These men have a chance to make a very good living and they choose to go out and continually get into trouble time after time? And somehow the League or Goodell is treating them unfairly? Give me a break:lmao2:

I agree. I guess you've got to give knuckleheads at least 40-50 chances to overcome their bad lives before you can officially lable them a trouble maker and someone whose lost their priveledge to play in the NFL.

But I'm sure these guys who are championing their rights would absolutely find their employers just as forgiving if they were out screwing around and getting arrested all the time and bringing a bad image to their company. I'm sure their bosses wouldn't mind that at all and would just give them a raise for their troubles.