Video Shows Cowboy RB Joseph Randle During Booking

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it's stuff like this why athletes hate the media.

They only hate it when something is reported that doesn't benefit them. But they love it when the media is hawking a commercial, sign, pin, for every endorsement they're signed for.

It's all relative to me. Don't do stupid stuff that lands you in jail and you won't get put on blast for throwing your teammate under the bus.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
lol...

Wow this kid is a bigger moron than I first thought.

I'm all for cutting this kid and bringing up Williams.

Wow...what a stupid, stupid, stupid person.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pretty incriminating in the sense that it clearly demonstrates has lack of maturity, lack of remorse, and overall disregard for the law and social norms. The police have an obligation to release information in accordance with the Freedom of Information act. Any annoyance should be directed at the members of the media who requested the video in question, not the police force that epitomized professionalism when presented with an entitled petty thief who just doesn't get it.

If it was actually released via an FOIA request, then of course the police aren't responsible. I suppose WG is right in that regard. I didn't realize how quickly those requests could be turned around. I think the theft itself illustrated better than anything in this video the lack of maturity. That said, it's a minor shoplifting charge, and this is footage taken over the course of we-don't-know-how-long. I'm not at all surprised he wasn't acting recalcitrant or subdued while sitting in the police station for a couple of hours.

I can guarantee you: you put a camera on me for that long and then edit it, you're going to get me saying a lot stupider things than John Randle said here.

Honestly, there's nothing even remotely newsworthy here. It's a local tv station trying to piggyback off of the shoplifting charge and acting smug about it. Do I remember them even sending a guy 'on location' to pick up the fast-breaking news as it happens? Dumb Jock is Booked for Shoplifting, Footage is Predictable and Boring, news at 11.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
If straight G means not caring what "Fletch" thought of me on an online sports forum, then that is precisely what I am. And to be fair, I made this name around 7 years ago with no intention of sticking around, and well now it's got sentimental value. But really, thank you for noticing.

Not many people are perfect and I don't pretend to be, but I also don't judge other people on what I deem rather insignificant circumstances in the big scheme of things. I try to look at things in scope. He's 22 and people in their early 20's are stupid, for most people that's a time of maturing. No one got hurt because of his actions, it wasn't assault or drugs, and while it was really stupid I think the hit to his ego is much greater than the loss to society by his crime.

I'm also in agreement with others that the release of the videotape was extremely bush league, if that wasn't apparent in my first post.

Love your post.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol...

Wow this kid is a bigger moron than I first thought.

I'm all for cutting this kid and bringing up Williams.

Wow...what a stupid, stupid, stupid person.

Really, BraveHeart? You're not one to overreact to stuff, so I'm surprised this is your take. What do you find objectionable here?

I don't want to run interference for Randle, because he's a gigantic knucklehead for being in this situation in the first place. I just think this footage from jail is pretty much unremarkable in every way. Only the back massage comment sounds creepy, but it's also edited and completely out of context, so you don't know if he was trying to be creepy, trying to be funny, or legitimately complaining about a tight shoulder. The rest of the stuff is just the sort of stuff you'd expect a young guy to be preoccupied with after getting popped for a minor offense. He's even being responsible about getting his agent to notify the Cowboys he's going to miss practice.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
If it was actually released via an FOIA request, then of course the police aren't responsible. I suppose WG is right in that regard. I didn't realize how quickly those requests could be turned around. I think the theft itself illustrated better than anything in this video the lack of maturity. That said, it's a minor shoplifting charge, and this is footage taken over the course of we-don't-know-how-long. I'm not at all surprised he wasn't acting recalcitrant or subdued while sitting in the police station for a couple of hours.

I can guarantee you: you put a camera on me for that long and then edit it, you're going to get me saying a lot stupider things than John Randle said here.

Honestly, there's nothing even remotely newsworthy here. It's a local tv station trying to piggyback off of the shoplifting charge and acting smug about it. Do I remember them even sending a guy 'on location' to pick up the fast-breaking news as it happens? Dumb Jock is Booked for Shoplifting, Footage is Predictable and Boring, news at 11.

What concerns me regarding the things I'm hearing that went on in this footage (I don't view every sensational video that's released on the internet ... like someone said ... bush league ... voyeurism), this is they guy entrusted with carrying the ball for our Dallas Cowboys. I'm not feeling it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's pretty incriminating in the sense that it clearly demonstrates has lack of maturity, lack of remorse, and overall disregard for the law and social norms. The police have an obligation to release information in accordance with the Freedom of Information act. Any annoyance should be directed at the members of the media who requested the video in question, not the police force that epitomized professionalism when presented with an entitled petty thief who just doesn't get it.

That has yet to be proven AFAIK.
This could have been sold and not acquired via the FOIA.
So we are making assumptions at this point.

This video and others like it should not be handed out via FOIA IMO.
Exemption 7: (only A-C)
  • 7(A). Could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings
  • 7(B). Would deprive a person of a right to a fair trial or an impartial adjudication
  • 7(C). Could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy
This video "could" have effected all the above.

The FOIA requests seldom get returned within a short period of time and often include very redacted information.

I know I would be extremely irritated if I went in to pay a traffic ticket and had that entire proceeding later televised.
This is basically the same thing and blatant disregard for a person's privacy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, I am guessing there are a lot of people on this thread that would feel much different about this if it had been their teenage child shoplifting and then had it made public TV.

Not every wrong deserves a public shaming. And the FOIA was meant to address the government actions not make public shaming possible or appropriate.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
BTW, I am guessing there are a lot of people on this thread that would feel much different about this if it had been their teenage child shoplifting and then had it made public TV.

Not every wrong deserves a public shaming. And the FOIA was meant to address the government actions not make public shaming possible or appropriate.

I just love how this is being spun by some of you. Poor Randle is just a young guy doing what young guys do and the big, bad police and media are mercilessly embarrassing this poor child. Good stuff.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Really, BraveHeart? You're not one to overreact to stuff, so I'm surprised this is your take. What do you find objectionable here?

I don't want to run interference for Randle, because he's a gigantic knucklehead for being in this situation in the first place. I just think this footage from jail is pretty much unremarkable in every way. Only the back massage comment sounds creepy, but it's also edited and completely out of context, so you don't know if he was trying to be creepy, trying to be funny, or legitimately complaining about a tight shoulder. The rest of the stuff is just the sort of stuff you'd expect a young guy to be preoccupied with after getting popped for a minor offense. He's even being responsible about getting his agent to notify the Cowboys he's going to miss practice.

I wanted him cut the moment he got into trouble for stealing. The story didn't add up for me and I didn't believe it was an accident and I didn't want him here.

Then seeing this...yeah it's only made him look more foolish in my eyes. That's just stupid behavior, stupid comments, and just all around dumb. He's an idiot and he's simply not worth it to keep him around.

That's just me. I realize I'm likely to be in the minority here and I understand that but he's just a complete idiot.

None of it was "OMG! I can't believe he's so creepy." Or anything like that. It wasn't anything that was super shocking or anything it was just basic, simple, he's an idiot type of stuff.

erod

Reaction score
Randle did come with a warning from the OSU coaches, I've heard. Probably why he was there in the 5th round.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Ouch. Good for Dez, good for Witten. This sort of thing can get you benched. Or get another RB called up from the PS.

It's really not cool for them to have released that video when the player is saying things privately about teammates' past offenses. In the context of a police station pick-up where he's trying to gauge how much of a pickle he's in, it's reasonable for him to be bringing up those other more serious incidents. And Randle really had a reasonable expectation of privacy. He's not talking in front of a mic, and he's not saying that stuff to try to lash out at his teammates. That whole thing just stinks for everybody involved.

I don't even disagree with Randle's basic point. Though the only thing the team can do once it's made public is back it's star players. This whole thing is now reaching the level of distraction it should never have gotten near. And it's not really any of the players' fault.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Randle done messed with the wrong one. Plus he has Witt backing up Dez. Oh no he didn't.