VIDEO: TO Sleep Celebration

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
aikemirv;1153281 said:
least harmful....

A player gets a senseless 15 yard penalty potentially costing his team just to show off and you call it least harmful. At least the other penalties are not intentional!

Intentional or not, which one hurt the team more??

A) The "intentional" celebration penalty that cost us 15 yards and no points and really no yards in field position, or

B) The "accidental" facemask which cost us 15 yards and a chance at OT?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;1153279 said:
Look I'm not a big fan of the 15 yard penalty, but it could have been worse. You guys are acting like the Skins gained something by that penalty. The kickoff went to some upback (lineman I believe) and they started at the 35 that drive. It seemed like they started every drive at the 35 anyway after Vandy's short kicks. And the Skins didn't score after it.

Look, obviously you don't WANT penalties, but that one was about the least harmful of all the other ones we committed.

Your right it did not end up hurting us other that field position but that does not change the act. I want to see this team win and stop hurting themselves not doing things that will hurt us. It just seems you’re making excuses for stupidity and this team is in no position for stupid acts by players be it TO or any other player. When you rank #2 in the NFL in penalties you need to stop it when ever and where ever you can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;1153284 said:

A) The "intentional" celebration penalty that cost us 15 yards and no points and really no yards in field position, or

They all hurt 11 flags for 153 yards hurts. The face mask it hurt the chop block hurt the pass interference hurt. Thing is TO has control over it the face mask was a guy trying to make a play to prevent a return the other was a player drawing attention to himself regardless of the consequence involved for the team

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1153289 said:
They all hurt 11 flags for 153 yards hurts. The face mask it hurt the chop block hurt the pass interference hurt. Thing is TO has control over it the face mask was a guy trying to make a play to prevent a return the other was a player drawing attention to himself regardless of the consequence involved for the team

I know "they all hurt," but one of them hurt more and you all know which one it was.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
peplaw06;1153295 said:
I know "they all hurt," but one of them hurt more and you all know which one it was.

True the face mask hurt. I'll say this 2 TD where scored both in my eyes were exciting one by Glenn the other by TO, yet Glenn did not cost us 15 Glenn never cost us 15 after a TD because he does not need to act like an idiot or draw attention to himself. You can sit there and justify TO action and make excuses for him all you want but what he did was a selfish act that hurt the team for his own moment of glory no matter how you slice it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
peplaw06;1153284 said:

I don't agree that it didn't cost us anything. I think it probably cost us 3 points. If we kick off, pin them back, we probabably get good field position off the 3 and out. That translates into points most times. To me, it was a stupid penalty. The face mask, IMO, was a bad call. It should have been 5 yards as opposed to 15 however, it didn't get called that way. I will tell you that I would have much more understanding of the face mask call then I would the penalty in the endzone. The penalty in the endzone is a concious act where the player knows it's going to cost the team. It's pretty much a given. The face mask was a penalty of effort IMO. The player is trying to make a play on the TO. Obviously, you like the results to be different but I understand how the face mask can happen. I view those types of penalties in a much more lenient light.

aikemirv

Reaction score
peplaw06;1153295 said:

The facemask only hurt more because the other 10 guys on the field did not go after Taylor and stop him. After T.O.'s penalty the 11 guys on the field did their job and covered it up.

You don't know whether that grab at the facemask prevented Taylor from running it all the way back because it did slow him for just a second.

You also do not know how the change in Field position by T.O.'s penalty affected the game from that point on either.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The fact that the Skins botched the ensuing KO return was sheer luck and doesn't excuse the penalty. With just an average return, they're starting near the 50, and that's always bad news.

But it's good to know T.O.'s feelings weren't hurt. After all, he doesn't play defense.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
He was probably sleep walking while the ball bounced off of his hands for an easy 6 too.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
aikemirv;1153305 said:
The facemask only hurt more because the other 10 guys on the field did not go after Taylor and stop him. After T.O.'s penalty the 11 guys on the field did their job and covered it up.

You don't know whether that grab at the facemask prevented Taylor from running it all the way back because it did slow him for just a second.

You also do not know how the change in Field position by T.O.'s penalty affected the game from that point on either.

Exactly, you don't know... But points were scored directly because of the facemask penalty. That's all I'm saying.

I just think it's odd that everyone probably did more to celebrate the TD in their own home than TO did, but TO does it and everyone gets their panties in a wad. And if you look at it's direct impact, it didn't cost us any points. You can argue "Yeah, well field position, this and that..." but you don't know how it would have played out. I see that Wash didn't score that drive, and come to the conclusion that there was no direct adverse impact.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
peplaw06;1153427 said:
Exactly, you don't know... But points were scored directly because of the facemask penalty. That's all I'm saying.

I just think it's odd that everyone probably did more to celebrate the TD in their own home than TO did, but TO does it and everyone gets their panties in a wad. And if you look at it's direct impact, it didn't cost us any points. You can argue "Yeah, well field position, this and that..." but you don't know how it would have played out. I see that Wash didn't score that drive, and come to the conclusion that there was no direct adverse impact.

Wow...I really can't believe you just made that statement in bold.

Im just going to walk away now :p: .

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Where was all the indignation and hate when DeMarcus Ware got the same 15 yard penalty for celebrating a few weeks ago?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BigDFan5;1153600 said:
Where was all the indignation and hate when DeMarcus Ware got the same 15 yard penalty for celebrating a few weeks ago?
That was on Ratliff for running in too close and getting a "group" celebration penalty. It wasn't really on Ware, and Ratliff didn't know he was committing a penalty.

Owens did -- and he had to have known with his rep -- and just didn't care.

khiladi

Reaction score
did -- and he had to have known with his rep -- and just didn't care.

It looks as if your not sure TO knew... Because you than state he must have known because of his 'rep'. That seems to me to be a surmise...

How do you really know Owens did?

Tony Romo wasn't aware that lying down in the end-zone is a penalty...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;1153611 said:
How do you know Owens did? Because of his 'rep'?

Tony Romo wasn't aware that lying down in the end-zone is a penalty...
because they made the rule because of T.O. and his buddy chad johnson. trust me, he knew

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1153609 said:
That was on Ratliff for running in too close and getting a "group" celebration penalty. It wasn't really on Ware, and Ratliff didn't know he was committing a penalty.

Owens did -- and he had to have known with his rep -- and just didn't care.

You telling me they werent aware that group celebrations were a penalty? I call BS.

khiladi

Reaction score
because they made the rule because of T.O. and his buddy chad johnson. trust me, he knew

I thought they did it because of Randy Moss, or Steve Smith...

Why would I trust you? If they made the rule because of TO and Chad Johnson, don't you think 'lying down' would have been the least of the NFL's worries, because of things like salsa dancing or proposing to cheerleaders on the sidelines.. Do you think that Chad Johnson examines all the rules regarding celebrating and than formulates his little dances within the context of the rules just to make sure he doesn't lie down?

I second the calling BS...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I think it's a lot more likely that a seventh-round, second year, part time defensive tackle didn't know the celebration rules as well as one of the most celebrated attention ****** in history.

All you had to do is watch Sportscenter to know that you can't use the ball as a prop. (Cue Chad Johnson pylon putting shot.)