Vinny Curry to be released

robjay04

Reaction score

I saw some recent roster movement in fanzone so I thought this might be worth a discussion since this is a NFC East move and we may be more likely to look at players in the division over other players due to the familiarity.

His stats don’t look too good but I found this recent article analyzing his play...

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www....numbers-or-not-vinny-curry-absolute-beast?amp
Curry is playing more than at any point in his six-year career. His playing time has gone from eight percent as a rookie in Andy Reid's final year to 26, 32 and 35 percent in three years under Chip Kelly and Bill Davis to 43 and 56 percent the last two years under Doug Pederson and Jim Schwartz.

But over the last seven games, that figure has increased to 63 percent. And in those seven games, Curry has a remarkable 26 quarterback hurries.

The Eagles' defensive line is playing lights out right now, and Curry has been in the middle of all of it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd be interested in signing him here. I think he could fill a significant void we have here.

Fontaine

Reaction score
Another man's trash is another man's ......garbage?

one-mans-garbage-is-another-man-persons-good-un-garbage-25624395.png

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

This is called working the room.

Jerry and Stephen might need to take notes.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Release? Interesting.

Silly Eagles. They should have teased their fan base with the idea of a trade.

You know. For relevance.

The difference is he comes with a $9MM+ cap hit the next two years.

Teams don't want to pick up the expensive back-ends of deals for veterans later in their careers. If the guy were a value relative to the cap right now, they might not cut him at all. And they'd be talking trade if he had a palatable number, regardless.

Alexander

Reaction score
The difference is he comes with a $9MM+ cap hit the next two years.

Teams don't want to pick up the expensive back-ends of deals for veterans later in their careers. If the guy were a value relative to the cap right now, they might not cut him at all. And they'd be talking trade if he had a palatable number, regardless.
Apply this same thought process to Orlando Scandrick.

Gee, it makes a real difference when you don't homer out.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apply this same thought process to Orlando Scandrick.

Gee, it makes a real difference when you don't homer out.

$3MM < $9MM. I just said that. You ought to understand the cap well enough to not be so tone-deaf on this one, Alexander. It's got zero to do with the decals on the side of the helmets.

Alexander

Reaction score
$3MM < $9MM. I just said that. You ought to understand the cap well enough to not be so tone-deaf on this one, Alexander. It's got zero to do with the decals on the side of the helmets.
It also has a lot to do with age.

A young pass rusher > an aged cornerback that really outlived his utility

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nobody is trading for Vinny Curry unless he agrees to a pay cut and re structures his deal. He is an overpaid JAG.

I don’t see why he would do that without just refusing at first to get cut and be a free agent. Then sign with whomever he wants.

Alexander

Reaction score
In a way it is kind of amazing how Orlando Scandrick worked over the Dallas front office for very little in return.

He "won" the competition with Jenkins. Played decent slot. Got suspended. Still got paid.

He is a legend.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It also has a lot to do with age.

A young pass rusher > an aged cornerback that really outlived his utility

Curry's 29, Scandrick 31, playing a position where players generally have more longevity.

I don't know if we'll end up being able to trade Orlando or not. If we do, though, it'll be to a contender who wants a cheap one or two year rental while they develop younger players. Which is why I think a team like SEA makes sense. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, though. The Ravens just did almost the exact same deal ($3MM for Brandon Carr, 30 years old at the time, with a team out after the first year). The Jets paid $4.5MM for Mo for a one year rental. Scandrick's still playing at a level comparable to both of those guys, and he can play slot.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I saw some recent roster movement in fanzone so I thought this might be worth a discussion since this is a NFC East move and we may be more likely to look at players in the division over other players due to the familiarity.

His stats don’t look too good but I found this recent article analyzing his play...

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/numbers-or-not-vinny-curry-absolute-beast?amp
Curry is playing more than at any point in his six-year career. His playing time has gone from eight percent as a rookie in Andy Reid's final year to 26, 32 and 35 percent in three years under Chip Kelly and Bill Davis to 43 and 56 percent the last two years under Doug Pederson and Jim Schwartz.

But over the last seven games, that figure has increased to 63 percent. And in those seven games, Curry has a remarkable 26 quarterback hurries.

The Eagles' defensive line is playing lights out right now, and Curry has been in the middle of all of it.

This is exactly the type of fallout I was talking about with the Eagles winning the SB. All their own FA's will be overpaid and get huge offers elsewear. It will be impossible for them to keep that team together. Already dumping quality guys in anticipation.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Curry's 29, Scandrick 31, playing a position where players generally have more longevity.

I don't know if we'll end up being able to trade Orlando or not. If we do, though, it'll be to a contender who wants a cheap one or two year rental while they develop younger players. Which is why I think a team like SEA makes sense. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, though. The Ravens just did almost the exact same deal ($3MM for Brandon Carr, 30 years old at the time, with a team out after the first year). The Jets paid $4.5MM for Mo for a one year rental. Scandrick's still playing at a level comparable to both of those guys, and he can play slot.

Scandric is another guy that will probably go somewhere else and be a key cog in a better situation. He is a very solid player, but when your the best player on a bla defense its more difficult.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My Cousin!!!!! My cousin, Vinny???
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/numbers-or-not-vinny-curry-absolute-beast?amp