Vinny Curry to be released

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$9 million for maybe 3-4 sacks doesn't make much sense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At least the Eagles are smart enough to let mediocre talent walk instead of signing them to an expensive contract like Crawfords. We believe in holding on to our own despite of poor or suspect performance. Our talent evaluators are batting 300 percent and that only works in baseball.
What are you talking about? They did exactly that. They signed Vinny Curry to a ridiculous contract lol. Now they are trying to get rid of him because they are in cap hell. There is nothing to envy here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are you talking about? They did exactly that. They signed Vinny Curry to a ridiculous contract lol. Now they are trying to get rid of him because they are in cap hell. There is nothing to envy here.

Exactly, plus, the Cowboys let Carr, Wilcox and Claiborne walk last year. Crawford was a mistake, but it's ridiculous to fabricate an argument based on the idea that is the standard for what the Cowboys always do.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Another Cedric Thornton / Nolan Carrol at best.
Dumb idea to mention wanting anything from philly. Their win this year was purely fluke.
We should be ashamed of their success not fear it.

A Super Bowl win was a "fluke"? Your definition of fluke must be different than mine.
I don't see how we should be ashamed of their success. We definitely should be ashamed of our lack of success.
I don't know that many on this board "fear" their success, we just recognize that a solid front office and capable coach make a difference, something we don't have. That FO & coaching staff fixed a dumpster fire of a team in 2 years. Jerry & co. haven't done it in over 20.

fansince68

Reaction score
They are Releasing him. Crawford is not being released. Lots to envy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They are Releasing him. Crawford is not being released. Lots to envy.

He's being released because they are OVER THE CAP. You said the Eagirls are smart enough to let mediocre talent "walk". Vinny Curry isn't "walking" away. They signed him to a RIDICULOUS contract....and now they either have to trade him, release him or get him to take a pay cut. Nothing to envy. Cowboys are the ones who let mediocre talent walk like the JJ Wilcox's, Brandon Carr's, etc. So what are you envying?

ghostdog

Reaction score
The difference is he comes with a $9MM+ cap hit the next two years.

Teams don't want to pick up the expensive back-ends of deals for veterans later in their careers. If the guy were a value relative to the cap right now, they might not cut him at all. And they'd be talking trade if he had a palatable number, regardless.
You do know that DEs are paid at a premium, right? So a DE who over the past 3 years ranks high on the QB pressure list while playing about 40% of his teams snaps at $9 million a year is expensive? If Curry played as many snaps as Lawrence he'd put up numbers too. And what is Lawrence costing you this year? Look for them to find a trade partner in the Colts. They are moving to the 4-3 again and their HC knows what Curry brings. He'd be a great get for the Colts.

ghostdog

Reaction score
This is exactly the type of fallout I was talking about with the Eagles winning the SB. All their own FA's will be overpaid and get huge offers elsewear. It will be impossible for them to keep that team together. Already dumping quality guys in anticipation.
Anticipation of what? They just had a rookie get 6 sacks while playing 25% of the defensive snaps. Barnett makes Curry expendable. He's a first round player so he'll be under the rookie contract for four more years. The quality guy you speak of was really just a spot holder.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do know that DEs are paid at a premium, right? So a DE who over the past 3 years ranks high on the QB pressure list while playing about 40% of his teams snaps at $9 million a year is expensive? If Curry played as many snaps as Lawrence he'd put up numbers too. And what is Lawrence costing you this year? Look for them to find a trade partner in the Colts. They are moving to the 4-3 again and their HC knows what Curry brings. He'd be a great get for the Colts.

Lol, no. "If Curry played as many snaps...." He didn't play as many snaps, and the reason is he didn't earn the playing time. He's overpaid and will either redo his deal to stay with the Eagles, or he'll get cut. If he does get traded, it'll be with a dramatically re-worked contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Anticipation of what? They just had a rookie get 6 sacks while playing 25% of the defensive snaps. Barnett makes Curry expendable. He's a first round player so he'll be under the rookie contract for four more years. The quality guy you speak of was really just a spot holder.

Im talking about getting rid of the overpaid dead weight. The fat. Like we dont do here. See Dez, see Crawford, ect....ect.....

ghostdog

Reaction score
Lol, no. "If Curry played as many snaps...." He didn't play as many snaps, and the reason is he didn't earn the playing time. He's overpaid and will either redo his deal to stay with the Eagles, or he'll get cut. If he does get traded, it'll be with a dramatically re-worked contract.
He didn't play as many snaps because he didn't have to. Here we have Long, Gramham and Barnett. Lawrence has who to worry about getting his snaps? You need to go back and look at Curry pressures stats. He was a league leader for a couple of years. The Eagles will turn him into draft capitol. You know it and I know it. The going rate for a DE is now about $14 million. Even under his current salary he would be a bargain. It's the second highest salaried group after QB.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't play as many snaps because he didn't have to. Here we have Long, Gramham and Barnett. Lawrence has who to worry about getting his snaps? You need to go back and look at Curry pressures stats. He was a league leader for a couple of years. The Eagles will turn him into draft capitol. You know it and I know it. The going rate for a DE is now about $14 million. Even under his current salary he would be a bargain. It's the second highest salaried group after QB.

I don't need to go back and look at anything. He's either going to take a haircut, or find another team. Your comparisons to Lawrence are a delusion.

ghostdog

Reaction score
I don't need to go back and look at anything. He's either going to take a haircut, or find another team. Your comparisons to Lawrence are a delusion.
Or we'll find a team for him. Who compared him to Lawrence? I didn't. Hope that $17 million gets you the 2017 guy not the 2014-16 guy. Are you sure it will?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or we'll find a team for him. Who compared him to Lawrence? I didn't. Hope that $17 million gets you the 2017 guy not the 2014-16 guy. Are you sure it will?

Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with the deal to retain Lawrence.

ghostdog

Reaction score
He's being released because they are OVER THE CAP. You said the Eagirls are smart enough to let mediocre talent "walk". Vinny Curry isn't "walking" away. They signed him to a RIDICULOUS contract....and now they either have to trade him, release him or get him to take a pay cut. Nothing to envy. Cowboys are the ones who let mediocre talent walk like the JJ Wilcox's, Brandon Carr's, etc. So what are you envying?
Dez Bryant....lol