Vinny Curry to be released

Sydla

Reaction score
We don’t need another DE, we need a big body true DT, that only plays DT. No versatility crap..

Anyone who says we don’t need another DE is smoking something.

I am not saying Curry is the answer but this team absolutely could use another DE.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

This is called working the room.

Jerry and Stephen might need to take notes.

How is that called working the room? They let reports go out they are going to release him lol....you just hurt your players value....or the little he had anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In a way it is kind of amazing how Orlando Scandrick worked over the Dallas front office for very little in return.

He "won" the competition with Jenkins. Played decent slot. Got suspended. Still got paid.

He is a legend.

He signed a 6 year 28 million dollar contract LOL. I mean we can all sit here and discuss how bad or good of a player Scandrick was....but one thing we can all agree is that 4.6 million a year didn't stop the Cowboys from doing whatever they wanted to do in free agency.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Anyone who says we don’t need another DE is smoking something.

I am not saying Curry is the answer but this team absolutely could use another DE.

I don't think you can ever say you have too many DE's....especailly on a defense to my knowledge that wants to keep pass rushers and their linemen fresh.

That being said....they don't need a DE bad enough to overpay for Vinny Curry. I was hoping more for someone cheaper. May be a guy that wants to play on a one year deal and showcase what he cans till do. Not sure if that guy is even out there. But like the year Seahawks got Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril for decent one year contracts.

The Natural

Reaction score
This is exactly the type of fallout I was talking about with the Eagles winning the SB. All their own FA's will be overpaid and get huge offers elsewear. It will be impossible for them to keep that team together. Already dumping quality guys in anticipation.
Please..they'll plug and play somebody else in there without skipping a beat just like they did when we got suckered into thinking Cedric Thornton was going to be an impact player. Fletcher Cox is the cog that keeps that machine moving, when you have a real beast in the middle you can put anybody around him.

OnceMighty

Reaction score
Another Cedric Thornton / Nolan Carrol at best.
Dumb idea to mention wanting anything from philly. Their win this year was purely fluke.
We should be ashamed of their success not fear it.

fansince68

Reaction score
Pass.

He is the eagles equivalent of Tyrone Crawford.

Overpaid for an average player.
At least the Eagles are smart enough to let mediocre talent walk instead of signing them to an expensive contract like Crawfords. We believe in holding on to our own despite of poor or suspect performance. Our talent evaluators are batting 300 percent and that only works in baseball.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mark my words.

Unless Scandrick is a throw in or something, he will not get traded for anything of value.

This is just another case where our poor presentation and awful contract structure led to the inevitable outcome of release.

He might not. It'd be a throw in or a late pick, regardless. But these are the kinds of deals teams actually do make since they don't cost much, and a veteran DB can be nice insurance to have.

robjay04

Reaction score
the giants got two Lombardi's by basically having enough pass rushers to platoon and thus have them relatively fresh in the fourth quarter.
Vinny Curry would be the equivalent to one of those guys. If Lawrence holds true to this season curry would be probably our #2 sack guy. If some of the other young guys are able to contribute we would be getting near to what the Giants did. One of our greatest failures while DWare was here was NEVER getting a good #2 sack guy to take the pressure off of him. Curry has a career high of 9 sacks in a season and is still young enough to give us three years. So there is reason to look at this carefully

I don’t disagree with your post but Ware had some talent around him.

Greg Ellis has 33 sacks in 4 seasons playing alongside Ware, solid numbers. Anthony Spencer was also solid, even spectacular for a season playing alongside him. Jay Ratliff was also spectacular on that line. We also had a few talented interior linemen playing with Ware throughout the years.

I’m not saying he has all stars but I would take a Greg Ellis playing his best football coupled with an Anthony Spencer in his prime, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears etc. over what we had had on the DL for the bulk of the time since Ware left.

robjay04

Reaction score
At least the Eagles are smart enough to let mediocre talent walk instead of signing them to an expensive contract like Crawfords. We believe in holding on to our own despite of poor or suspect performance. Our talent evaluators are batting 300 percent and that only works in baseball.

The Eagles just signed him to an expensive contract a couple years ago despite him not performing at a high level. They are cutting him now because they can’t afford him.

Your comparative makes no sense.

fansince68

Reaction score
The Eagles just signed him to an expensive contract a couple years ago despite him not performing at a high level. They are cutting him now because they can’t afford him.

Your comparative makes no sense.
It's simple. We did the exact same thing with Crawford..however, we will hold on to our mistakes throughout the contract. Did you notice that at least Curry helped Philly get a Super Bowl.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
hmmmm.... ex eagles players we have signed Thornton, Carrol... nah pass. Good to see Philly battling the cap bulge though

robjay04

Reaction score
It's simple. We did the exact same thing with Crawford..however, we will hold on to our mistakes throughout the contract. Did you notice that at least Curry helped Philly get a Super Bowl.

Eagles are only doing something because they have to. They are over the cap right now by 10 million and have to get under by March 14th. If we were in a similar situation, I’m sure Crawford would be gone.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Agreed. Our front office has been crapping the bed with contracts and free agency and it has cost us.

The only thing keeping the team alive is the fact that the drafting has been solid.

diefree666

Reaction score
I don’t disagree with your post but Ware had some talent around him.

Greg Ellis has 33 sacks in 4 seasons playing alongside Ware, solid numbers. Anthony Spencer was also solid, even spectacular for a season playing alongside him. Jay Ratliff was also spectacular on that line. We also had a few talented interior linemen playing with Ware throughout the years.

I’m not saying he has all stars but I would take a Greg Ellis playing his best football coupled with an Anthony Spencer in his prime, Jay Ratliff, Jason Hatcher, Chris Canty, Marcus Spears etc. over what we had had on the DL for the bulk of the time since Ware left.
Spencer as you admitted had one SEASON that he was pretty good alongside ware. 2011 was spectacular for HIS career but in no other way. Rat was another good for a year or two and then not much. Spears was nothing as a pass rusher; how you could claim otherwise is beyond weird. Canty and Hatcher were pretty good as well but not up to most of the Giants pass rush platoon. The giants had about 6 guys; we had at most usually 3. We could not platoon and they could. their top three consistently outdid our top three even with Ware. In the critical years of 2007-2009 Deware had no one that could really take the pressure off of him. One guy or another would flash for a while but no one that the OC on the other side had to plan for.

Ken

Reaction score
Trust me guys...we need this 3 sack monster. What is wrong with some of you?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't doubt it.

It is the price you pay for winning. Everyone else wants a piece of it.

That said, I don't think they are going to suffer a lot for it. They will be okay when you get down to it.

But they won't repeat. No way. Zero chance.
i wont say there is zero chance they have a good hc and dc and really good gm and most of their starting players will be back if they don't have lots of injuries they will be right there

robjay04

Reaction score
Spencer as you admitted had one SEASON that he was pretty good alongside ware. 2011 was spectacular for HIS career but in no other way. Rat was another good for a year or two and then not much. Spears was nothing as a pass rusher; how you could claim otherwise is beyond weird. Canty and Hatcher were pretty good as well but not up to most of the Giants pass rush platoon. The giants had about 6 guys; we had at most usually 3. We could not platoon and they could. their top three consistently outdid our top three even with Ware. In the critical years of 2007-2009 Deware had no one that could really take the pressure off of him. One guy or another would flash for a while but no one that the OC on the other side had to plan for.

I am not saying they were better than the Giants. I am saying Ware played alongside some pretty good players. In your OP, you said he never had a guy across from him that got sacks and I am saying he did have arhat a few years as well as a couple interior guys that helped as well.

I am with you though, I want several guys that can get to the QB. I want 6+ sacks from at least 4 guys.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Curry is released I'd look at him. It would obviously depend on price. A few years ago he was ferocious off the edge (granted, playing a hybrid OLB in the Eagles 3-4 D under Chip Kelly).

But I expect someone will throw some coin at him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
or they just restructure him, save 6m in cap space and keep him