Vintage older Emmitt

mldardy

Reaction score
In the last 1/3 of his career Emmitt sucked compared to his own teammate running backs, running behind the same line. He no longer was even a good football player.

Yards Per Carry vs. Teammates
2000: Chris Warren, 4.3, Emmitt: 4.1
2001: Troy Hambrick 5.1, Emmitt: 3.9
2002: Troy Hambrick 4.0, Emmitt: 3.8
2003: Marcel Shipp, 3.6, Emmitt: 2.8
2004: Troy Hambrick* 4.5, Emmitt: 3.5

*Yes Hambrick played w/Smith in Dallas and Arizona.
In the last 3rd of his career, this guy :lmao:

You are over the top with your hatred man. If you look up every great RB with the exception of Walter Payton at the age of 30 the dropoff is very significant. Emmitt ran for over 1000 yards at the age of 32. He was 25 yards short at 33, and 63 yards short in his last year missing a game. Most RBs are lucky to get one year like that at the age of 30 and beyond. Go ask your beloved Ezekiel Elliot who's already burned out at age 27. Or Tomlinson, Dickerson, AP, Earl Campbell (who didn't make it past 30), Fauk, Thurman Thomas. Go look how they fared at that age. Post their stats

I love how you conveniently leave out that Emmitt only started 5 games in 2003 but don't let those facts get in the way.

If you are going to post this type of stuff be fair and consistent and not seething with hatred, Emperor Palpatine. Let the hate flow through you.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
All 6 of them are Pro Bowlers and/or All-Pros.
That is more than enough to make any RB look like a stud.

And 2 of them are HOF talent. (Larry Allen as well as Erik Williams in his injury shortened career)

Why does 97-2002 specifically matter? Emmitt’s best years and best stats came in his first 7 years.
And yet we couldn't win without Emmitt. A Sb team started 0-2 without him.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
All 6 of them are Pro Bowlers and/or All-Pros.
That is more than enough to make any RB look like a stud.

And 2 of them are HOF talent. (Larry Allen as well as Erik Williams in his injury shortened career)

Why does 97-2002 specifically matter? Emmitt’s best years and best stats came in his first 7 years.
Of course they did, he was in his prime but nobody, yourself inlcuded, gives him the credit for his later years playing with the likes of Quincy Carter, Anthony Wright, Chad Hutchinson and a bunch of bums. Emmitt had a terrible injury first game of the season in 96, wasn't the same till 98 he revitalized his career at 28-30 years old and ran just as well as anyone those seasons. He's the goat because he's the goat, not because of his oline. What happened when he was out of the starting lineup and all those great Olineman were still in? What did Derrick Lassic and Sherman Williams do? All pro seasons? Pro bowls? Super Bowls? It's laughable to down play the greatest running back in the history of the NFL.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Warrior. Heart of a champion. Forever a Cowboy.

giphy.gif
If only Zeke had THAT o line.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
#22 was my favorite RB for the first half of his career, and being good (sometimes elite) for eight or nine years is a massive accomplishment.

What makes me crazy is how Jerry kept treating him...and paying him as a difference-maker long after he lost his juice. Centering an offense around a guy barely getting 4 ypc...and then not even that...was insanity.

What also makes me crazy is the Dino fans who still somehow think running backs can really push an NFL team to the top.
Funny he was your favorite when he was the best but not his final years. He was always my favorite through all the years (not a front runner). Yards per carry is such a cop out. Emmitt got so many dirty yards, Barry would never run for those dirty yards. In 94 Emmitt had one of his best seasons with lingering hamstring problems and averaged just 4 yards per carry. YPC is trash. He did get paid for the past a little and rightfully so, he was underpaid during his 3 super bowls he won this franchise and one in 93 was all him, MVP and Super Bowl MVP. Dino fans who think a RB can push a team over the top. What is the furthest we have gotten in the past 25 years? Was it with Julius Randle or Troy Hambrick? Maybe 14 with Murray or 16 with Zeke. This team sadly does go as far as the RB takes them.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
All before 2000...

Regular season
153 games, 3243 carries,13963 yards, 4.3 ypc,136 TDs

Playoffs
17 games, 349 carries, 1586 yards, 4.5 ypc, 19 TDs

not counting receptions or receiving TDs.

He played an additional season in the playoffs and you have the nerve to post this garbage after a hall of fame career. Pretty sad stuff. His first 10 more than made up for his last 5.
He's posting stats when he was a 34 year old running back lol. Just crazy lol.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

man i wish we had another one like him. Looking at a lot of backs that have come and gone. it seems like the 6ft+ and 220+ lb and over backs have the shortest careers. Emmitt and Bary were amazing at missing people or not taking direct shots. Today game i see too many guys very upright taking un needed hits or they are trying to punish someone and bowl them over ala MB24. I'm excited to see what Duce can bring but man 5'5 and 175 scares me for him to get hit. i sure hope he's a Kyler Murry video game joycon and can move around people and not get hit. Next year there are several RB i like 2 guys from OhioState the RB from Michigan and that kid that transfered from Texas A&M to SMU. all of them are in the sub 6ft and shifty but can still run through an arm tackle.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
January 2nd, 1994. End of every debate.
That whole season. Held out, 0-2 looked terrible, absolutely terrible. Couldn't move the ball without him and 5 HOF lineman. He comes back they win every game except for a game against the Falcons where he got injured early and missed the game with 1 carry and then the following week a lose on a freak Leon Lett mistake. They won every game after that he was the first player to ever receive MVP of the season and MVP of the Super Bowl. His game against the Giants will go down as one of if not the gutsiest game in football history. Haters gonna hate though.

Big_D

Reaction score
He's posting stats when he was a 34 year old running back lol. Just crazy lol.

The guy put up the greatest numbers in the history of the sport winning 3 championships in the process and some are going to just credit the OL or moan about his ypc at the tail end of a hall of fame career? It's really ridiculous. Time to stop watching at that point when you can't appreciate a player like Emmitt Smith and what he meant to this team. That first 10 years he averaged 360 carries including the playoffs. Absolutely unreal and we'll never see anything like him again.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I heard this one time? They tried to rip his arm off and beat him with it, but his elusiveness couldn't be schemed against and he would continue getting positive yards, one handed, with the other hanging by threads.
By threads!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This needs to be shown to the current special teams coach on how you take care of the gunners. Imagine Turpin with as much space to move when he catches the ball as what you see here.
Good point Sir.

T-RO

Reaction score
All before 2000...

Regular season
153 games, 3243 carries,13963 yards, 4.3 ypc,136 TDs

Playoffs
17 games, 349 carries, 1586 yards, 4.5 ypc, 19 TDs

not counting receptions or receiving TDs.

He played an additional season in the playoffs and you have the nerve to post this garbage after a hall of fame career. Pretty sad stuff. His first 10 more than made up for his last 5.
Where did I say he wasn't great, wasn't HOF?

I've always been consistent: older backs are.not.worth.it. And Emmitt played years as an older back.

If you look up every great RB with the exception of Walter Payton at the age of 30 the dropoff is very significant.
That was exactly my point. Go back and read.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
The guy put up the greatest numbers in the history of the sport winning 3 championships in the process and some are going to just credit the OL or moan about his ypc at the tail end of a hall of fame career? It's really ridiculous. Time to stop watching at that point when you can't appreciate a player like Emmitt Smith and what he meant to this team. That first 10 years he averaged 360 carries including the playoffs. Absolutely unreal and we'll never see anything like him again.
He was like a machine. Only other player I seen do what he did was Terrell Davis for a couple seasons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If you think yards per carry is the only measure of a good football running back then there is really nothing more that need be said here. You and I view the game differently and will never agree. I could cite you a hundred instances where the backup RB had a higher ypc than the starter and then delineate all the reasons why that happens.. and I don't think it would alter your thinking one iota. You can educate ignorance... but you can't fix _____.
You have proven that your a poor judge of running backs. And your unending homersim to fading cowboy backs late in their careers is your calling card.

mldardy

Reaction score
That whole season. Held out, 0-2 looked terrible, absolutely terrible. Couldn't move the ball without him and 5 HOF lineman. He comes back they win every game except for a game against the Falcons where he got injured early and missed the game with 1 carry and then the following week a lose on a freak Leon Lett mistake. They won every game after that he was the first player to ever receive MVP of the season and MVP of the Super Bowl. His game against the Giants will go down as one of if not the gutsiest game in football history. Haters gonna hate though.
Every time someone says some ol' bull about Emmitt I will always point them to the 1993 season. There haven't been many RBs that had a season like that. I always imagine what he would have looked like with a full season of training camp, preseason going into the regular season. He was a wrecking crew all by himself that season.

I also feel like he was robbed of MVP in 95.

Havic

Reaction score
You clearly didn't watch Emmitt play much. Null and void on your comments from here on out.
You can see in those clips he isn’t taking massive hits. He knew how to go down and minimize injury risk. It’s not a criticism

JonesBoys

Reaction score
He was productive runner late in his career, but he wasn't consistently special. 4.1 YPC that year.

He did have an emotional and electric game here, as he chased a historical mark.

My excitement is muted for a game where a 7-7 Washington team plays a 5-9 Cowboys team. Ugly era.
It was also his 10th year in the league. How many hits and carry’s had he seen by this point? Most running backs don’t last this long with half the carry’s and hits and yet Emmitt was still getting over 1k yards and multiple TD’s on a bad Cowboys team at this point.