W/L Record: QB stat or not?

USArmyVet

Reaction score
For the record, I personally believe it’s justifiable to call W/L record a QB stat in a general sense, because there’s such a strong correlation between how good a QB is and how good their team’s W/L record is.

There’s exceptions every year (Romo’s 8-8 years, Drew Brees’ 7-9 years, etc.), but the best QBs in NFL history all have very good CAREER records in the regular season.

Not a coincidence.

If you believe wins/losses are a QB stat, then you do have to recognize that from 2017-2021 Dak's record is 40-29. While of course his rookie season of 2016 saw Dallas finish 13-3, Dallas had a rookie RB and rookie QB that teams were attempting to diagnose and game plan for. After the rookie season, that is when teams have film on players more so and as a result Dak, based on wins/losses being a QB stat, has a win percentage of .579....or roughly 5 games above .500.

That all said, I am more concerned with the consistency of watching Dak beat up on the NFC Least (25-6....55 TD's 15 INT's) while not performing against the rest of the league (28-26...88 TD's 35 INT's). In addition, there are simply too many examples of in-game disappearing acts where Dak seems to just stall with his game play, coming on late in the game when often the game had gotten out of hand.

Dak has the ability to be a quality QB but something is simply missing, whether it is with him or the offensive game planning, that prevents him from truly elevating his play as well as elevating the team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And how’s it working out with the QB lately? In the NFL any QB after 5 or 6 is just a different level of average joe.

It doesn’t matter what level of QB you consider them if they’re a good QB that gives their team a chance every season they’re going to get paid. Kyler Murray is 0-1 playoffs but he got paid. If you don’t want to pay big money to a QB you’ll have nothing at the position and you’ll be using a high draft pick to try and find one.

Nav22

Reaction score
You look at it with blinders on, look at his whole body of work and against who those W came against. Be honest Dak has disappeared in games that are critical and he excelled against lower end teams. We aren’t talking about a QB that beat the dregs and beat good teams to play in 10 SBs or makes it to ccg’s often. To me Daks W L records when viewed in context to the teams success and his play in crucial games makes him a mid level QB and his poor play for 2 to 3 quarters in those games makes him a large part of the blame. A QB has to play at a high level the majority of a game and to this point in time that just hasn’t happened. Can that change, yes but based on history it isn’t going to unless the D can cover up his warts and hold teams to less than 14 points a game. Simple fact is Dak is just not going to win games on his talent like marquee QB’s do with less talent around them. Dak around 9 to 14 without elite talent on both sides of the ball isn’t going to get it done.
You can’t even define your terms. You keep it vague by design so that you can adjust as you go.

Define “games that are critical.”

Was the 2018 Wild Card game vs Seattle “critical”? How did Dak play in that game?

Are ANY regular season games “critical”? Or just the ones he lost?

He was excellent against Green Bay in the playoffs as a rookie, but because we were behind early you’ll blame him for the loss.

You say we have to hold teams to “less than 14 points” but that’s dishonest as well.

We put up 31 vs the Packers and we put up 22 vs the Rams in the playoffs. So holding the Packers to 30 and holding the Rams to 21 would’ve resulted in wins. But you resort to “14 points or less” because it makes Dak look worse.
:laugh:

Just say you’re a Dak hater and be done with it. Stop trying to pretend you’re objective.

Nav22

Reaction score
And how’s it working out with the QB lately? In the NFL any QB after 5 or 6 is just a different level of average joe.
53-32 in the regular season, and the ONLY reason we may repeat as division champs is because we have Dak Prescott as our QB and the other 3 teams don’t.

So yeah, it’s going pretty well. QB isn’t our issue.

Nav22

Reaction score
If you believe wins/losses are a QB stat, then you do have to recognize that from 2017-2021 Dak's record is 40-29. While of course his rookie season of 2016 saw Dallas finish 13-3, Dallas had a rookie RB and rookie QB that teams were attempting to diagnose and game plan for. After the rookie season, that is when teams have film on players more so and as a result Dak, based on wins/losses being a QB stat, has a win percentage of .579....or roughly 5 games above .500.

That all said, I am more concerned with the consistency of watching Dak beat up on the NFC Least (25-6....55 TD's 15 INT's) while not performing against the rest of the league (28-26...88 TD's 35 INT's). In addition, there are simply too many examples of in-game disappearing acts where Dak seems to just stall with his game play, coming on late in the game when often the game had gotten out of hand.

Dak has the ability to be a quality QB but something is simply missing, whether it is with him or the offensive game planning, that prevents him from truly elevating his play as well as elevating the team.
NFL players, coaches, scouts and execs universally agree that Dak’s a top 10 NFL QB.

There’s a reason, whether you see it or not. They know more than you or I do.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s pretty simple, but I see CZ members struggle with this mightily on a regular basis.

IF YOU BELIEVE W/L RECORD IS A QB STAT:

Dak is 53-32 in the regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. Those are his records, period. You don’t get to take away his great regular season record and only blame him for the playoff record. Nor can you credit him for the regular season record without blaming him for the playoff record.

IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE W/L RECORD IS A QB STAT:

You can’t blame Dak for the 1-3 playoff record, just like you can’t credit him for the 53-32 regular season record. Those are TEAM stats.

Thanks, and go Bills tonight!
The QB has a part in the W/L but it's a team game.
Never really understood the stat as being a measuring stick for a QB's performance.

terra

Reaction score
The QB has a part in the W/L but it's a team game.
Never really understood the stat as being a measuring stick for a QB's performance.
Agree. Some teams are strong enough to overcome mediocre/average QBs. Brad Johnson getting a ring certainly underlines that.
Marino never getting a ring; Kelly never getting a ring; tell me they are responsible for that.
You can have a top QB and a mediocre team or coach and there you are.
Calling W/L a QB stat is moronic.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It’s pretty simple, but I see CZ members struggle with this mightily on a regular basis.

Dak is 53-32 in the regular season and 1-3 in the playoffs. Those are his records, period. You don’t get to take away his great regular season record and only blame him for the playoff record. Nor can you credit him for the regular season record without blaming him for the playoff record.

You can’t blame Dak for the 1-3 playoff record, just like you can’t credit him for the 53-32 regular season record. Those are TEAM stats.

yes its. no its not. depends on the point I am trying to make and argument I am trying to win. I flip flop as needed:eek: :rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

It's a team sport. some say the ultimate team sport. So how can wins and losses be an individual stat? I don't blame Dak for our playoff record.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Agree. Some teams are strong enough to overcome mediocre/average QBs. Brad Johnson getting a ring certainly underlines that.
Marino never getting a ring; Kelly never getting a ring; tell me they are responsible for that.
You can have a top QB and a mediocre team or coach and there you are.
Calling W/L a QB stat is moronic.
:hammer:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

There is no debate. W/L is a team stat.

it’s a 100% fact.

people simply use it for agenda purposes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For the record, I personally believe it’s justifiable to call W/L record a QB stat in a general sense, because there’s such a strong correlation between how good a QB is and how good their team’s W/L record is.

There’s exceptions every year (Romo’s 8-8 years, Drew Brees’ 7-9 years, etc.), but the best QBs in NFL history all have very good CAREER records in the regular season.

Not a coincidence.

nothing to do with correlation. Qb plays offense only. In the ultimate team sport, giving one player a win loss record Is laughable.

Brax

Reaction score
QBs who give you a chance get paid. If you don’t want to pay a good QB who keeps you in contention you’ll be stuck with an average Joe and be stuck picking in the top 10 every April.
So picking in the mid teens and lower and going nowhere is a good thing, yeah for average joe.

Brax

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what level of QB you consider them if they’re a good QB that gives their team a chance every season they’re going to get paid. Kyler Murray is 0-1 playoffs but he got paid. If you don’t want to pay big money to a QB you’ll have nothing at the position and you’ll be using a high draft pick to try and find one.
With Jerry picking that may be a problem but after 27 years they should have got it right. I prefer the pain instead of years of mediocrity. You are happy with good, I want great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s way more than a “slight correlation.”

Teams with good to great QBs usually have good to great records.

Teams with crappy QBs usually have crappy records.

Of course there’s exceptions every year, but over the course of a QB’s career, their W/L record is USUALLY pretty indicative of how effective they were.

Meaningless. Just because you may win more with a better qb doesn’t change anything. It’s a team stat.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So picking in the mid teens and lower and going nowhere is a good thing, yeah for average joe.

You have no chance to go anywhere if you don’t make the playoffs. If the Cowboys went with some of the low priced scrubs many of you want at QB they would never make the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With Jerry picking that may be a problem but after 27 years they should have got it right. I prefer the pain instead of years of mediocrity. You are happy with good, I want great.

As long as Jerry continues to pick yes men as head coaches and gives them little control we’re going to continue to be stuck in a rut. The number one problem with the team is the way it’s run. It doesn’t matter who the HC is we see the same results. Jerry continues sounding like the same broken record year after year after year.