Wade just said they will try to get Osi's sack taken away...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Theo, for a guy that likes to act like he knows everything about football, you sure are clueless on this one.

It's real simple. Watch the play, if WRs are blocking, if Linemen are going downfield to the second level, if NO one is running a pass route, etc... it's a running play.

But there's still no guarantee they'll be able to overturn it. Afterall, STrahan broke the single season sack record despite the fact it was on a running play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rack;1761505 said:
Theo, for a guy that likes to act like he knows everything about football, you sure are clueless on this one.

It's real simple. Watch the play, if WRs are blocking, if Linemen are going downfield to the second level, if NO one is running a pass route, etc... it's a running play.

But there's still no guarantee they'll be able to overturn it. Afterall, STrahan broke the single season sack record despite the fact it was on a running play.

It appeared to me it was a busted running play and Romo was left holding the ball. He lowered his shoulder and went for what he could get.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
theogt;1761222 said:
How could they possibly tell by looking at this play? It could have been a play-action pass.

When it happened babe laufenberg said it was the same play that jj scored the td on in philly, he said it was a blown play and thought it was ruined because the team took to long to get to the line of scrimmage and get line up correctly and had it to snap it early.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1761277 said:
Who cares about the sack?

If you are a lineman and you have incentives based off the number of sacks you give up.. you might care then. It might seem petty to some but this is how these guys get paid. If it wasn't a sack, then it shouldn't be counted against them.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;1761505 said:

I never said it wasn't a running play. I think it was most likely a running play. That's not exactly the issue here. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I think what Theogt and others are saying is that it becomes a gray area.

Offensive linemen don't have to pass block by dropping back, that's why they have the 5 yards before they are downfield.

TEs and WRs can run block but then peel off for the reception. Even if they are 10 yards downfield, they could be performing a pick.

Culpepper used to fake the run up the middle only to pull up and throw to Moss in the back of the endzone within the 5 yard line.

Heck, in this game, Romo's first TD pass looked like he was going to run it until he threw it just barely short of the line of scrimmage.

Given this information, the only way to overturn it is to get this info from the Coach, but then they could be lying. Now, I know it was a run play and you know too, but like Theogt is saying, this is treading in the gray area.

Verdict

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1761277 said:
Who cares about the sack?

If you were a player and the sack affected some performance based incentive in your contract, I think you might care.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I thought it was obviously a busted running play when I saw it and was surprised it was called a sack. The offense looked disorganized at the snap of the ball on that play. That was my one real complaint about this game. The tempo of the offense looked off during parts of the game. They were slow in the huddle and seemed to be up against the play clock a lot of times.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
joseephuss;1761848 said:
I thought it was obviously a busted running play when I saw it and was surprised it was called a sack. The offense looked disorganized at the snap of the ball on that play. That was my one real complaint about this game. The tempo of the offense looked off during parts of the game. They were slow in the huddle and seemed to be up against the play clock a lot of times.

I think they were running the "far la" play from the pepsi commercial. :laugh2:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Verdict;1761761 said:
If you were a player and the sack affected some performance based incentive in your contract, I think you might care.

Who measures sacks given up by individuals? Is it an official NFL stat or is it kept by the team? I think it is done by the team and if so, there is no need to have the league look at it for incentive purposes.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
that play happened so fast I thought it was a fumble, they never showed a replay, but a QB sneak on 2 and 10 give him the sack and call it a day.....

starfrombirth

Reaction score
superpunk;1761314 said:
Maybe because he tucked and moved forward? Might be the criteria. I think it's pretty clear that he was never attempting to pass.

That was the 60-stretch-far-*yawn* play.

:lmao:

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1761993 said:
I think it is done by the team and if so, there is no need to have the league look at it for incentive purposes.

So when a team needs to fit in under the cap, they can just say 'I don't care what NFL.com says, Brady did not throw the ball to Moss on that 50 yd TD, he just handed it off to him long distance.' :confused:

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1762076 said:
So when a team needs to fit in under the cap, they can just say 'I don't care what NFL.com says, Brady did not throw the ball to Moss on that 50 yd TD, he just handed it off to him long distance.' :confused:

We are not talking about TD passes. There are some stat categories that the NFL does not "officially" keep. Show me where nfl.com says how many sacks Adams has given up this year? Does nfl.com even have stats on sacks given up by individuals? I have never seen an official stat of sacks given up by individuals. Teams keep these stats based on the game tape and whose responsibility it was on each play. That goes into an offensive lineman's grade but that grade is assigned by the team, not the league stats office.

I'll bet AdamJ13 would know. Adam, does the NFL keep official stats on sacks given up by individual linemen?

Here is the excerpt on the play-by-play.
2-7-DAL 25 (3:42) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo sacked at DAL 23 for -2 yards (72-O.Umenyiora).

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1761614 said:
I think what Theogt and others are saying is that it becomes a gray area.

Offensive linemen don't have to pass block by dropping back, that's why they have the 5 yards before they are downfield.

TEs and WRs can run block but then peel off for the reception. Even if they are 10 yards downfield, they could be performing a pick.

Culpepper used to fake the run up the middle only to pull up and throw to Moss in the back of the endzone within the 5 yard line.

Heck, in this game, Romo's first TD pass looked like he was going to run it until he threw it just barely short of the line of scrimmage.

Given this information, the only way to overturn it is to get this info from the Coach, but then they could be lying. Now, I know it was a run play and you know too, but like Theogt is saying, this is treading in the gray area.

not a good example to use since that play was a designed passing play, Romo was flushed out of the pocket, started to run, but you know how he always looks to pass when on the run, and that's exactly what he ended up doing

on the sack in question, the play looked like a running play that took too long to get going, since Romo almost let the clock run out before snapping the ball

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
It looked to me like it was going to be that same shotgun draw to Julius that we ran a lot the last two games. And it looked like Romo forgot what side JJ was on, for some reason.

I remember the league taking away a sack from Roy in the first Eagles game in Parcells' first year. Reid said it was a running play, and that was that.

jrumann59

Reaction score
LeonDixson;1761263 said:
It should be easy enough to tell if it was a running play by looking at where the offensive linemen were going. If they were moving forward it was obviously a running play. If they all took a step back to pass block it was a pass play.

Unless it was a draw