Wade said Holland might start Thursday

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Chief;2443047 said:
Missed field goals are a huge deal to Wade.

I don't think I've ever seen a coach celebrate an opponent's first-quarter missed field goal the way he did Sunday. He was really, really happy.

I guess now we know why... It's those seven yards of field position. :p:

I never knew he was one who helped get that rule pushed through, either. Still don't know the story behind it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2443067 said:
that is true, but some coaches like playing guys who've been there longer, in this case Proctor being in the system longer than Holland

If they felt Holland was better they would play him, sorry I don't think Wade or Garrett or Houch are sitting on any player once a guy shows he is ready they will get a chance. For people to sit there and say oh he is just being stubborn or they are just stupid is a fricken joke, fans are not out on the field in the film room they have no clue what so ever how a player is developing and this is reg season not training camp they are not going to throw players in unless they feel they can do the job.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2443084 said:
If they felt Holland was better they would play him, sorry I don't think Wade or Garrett or Houch are sitting on any player once a guy shows he is ready they will get a chance. For people to sit there and say oh he is just being stubborn or they are just stupid is a fricken joke, fans are not out on the field in the film room they have no clue what so ever how a player is developing and this is reg season not training camp they are not going to throw players in unless they feel they can do the job.

get off your soapbox, noone is saying that here

but Greg Ellis plays on 1st and 2nd downs when it's obvious that Spencer plays the run better because he has much more lateral mobility, but there is Ellis still playing 1st on running downs

and Wade said last year that he likes starting veterans, and Proctor is more of a veteran here than Holland is

you continue to put blind-faith in this coaching staff, I'm not, they are one of the slowest to implement anything

Wade waits till we play Tampa Bay to take an active role in his D's playcalling, it takes Garrett weeks to finally start having the WRs run shorter patterns, and let's not even get into Garrett allowing Romo to audible out of so many running plays against Washington early in the season

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phillips Hints Holland May Start

Posted by jellis at 11/25/2008 4:25 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

Coach Wade Phillips said guard Montrae Holland, who the Cowboys acquired in a preseason trade, may start Thursday after receiving more first-team reps than usual at left guard during Tuesday's practice.

Phillips said Holland is more of an anchor than Cory Procter, who has filled in whenever starter Kyle Kosier couldn't play this season and made eight starts, and Holland also fits the mold of a Cowboys lineman since he's bigger and more physical than Procter.

Holland has played sparingly since he came over from Denver, working in for one series or playing special teams in several games. He has 46 starts in 73 career games with New Orleans and Denver.

-Josh Ellis

Comments (4) | Permanent Link

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2443095 said:
get off your soapbox, noone is saying that here

but Greg Ellis plays on 1st and 2nd downs when it's obvious that Spencer plays the run better because he has much more mobility, but there is Ellis still playing 1st on running downs

and Wade said last year that he likes starting veterans, and Proctor is more of a veteran here than Holland is

Soapbox? Please I sit here and see people hollering about Holland based on what? If your so called theory was right then Roy Williams would not be playing. As for Spencer he has been injured so ofter he has not been healthy enough to maintain any starting postion. Allen Ball has been here longer than Jenkins or Scandrick yet I don't see him starting over them. Get a clue if a guy is not ready they are not going to throw him in the game because fans want that.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Agreed...if the staff thinks it's time Holland starts over Proctor, than we should assume it was simply a case they didn't think he was ready before and there was no hidden agenda.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2443102 said:
Soapbox? Please I sit here and see people hollering about Holland based on what? If your so called theory was right then Roy Williams would not be playing.

he didn't start until 3 weeks after he got here

and do you honestly believe Roy isn't going to play after all that was invested in him?

Doomsday101 said:
As for Spencer he has been injured so ofter he has not been healthy enough to maintain any starting postion.

he's healthy and not starting, Wade even went into this year saying that Greg was still the starter

Doomsday said:
Allen Ball has been here longer than Jenkins or Scandrick yet I don't see him starting over them. Get a clue if a guy is not ready they are not going to throw him in the game because fans want that.

Alan Ball just isn't very good, and neither is Proctor

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2443118 said:
he didn't start until 3 weeks after he got here

and do you honestly believe Roy isn't going to play after all that was invested in him?

he's healthy and not starting, Wade even went into this year saying that Greg was still the starter

Alan Ball just isn't very good, and neither is Proctor

Roy was seeing playing time right off the bat not starting but playing because he has talent. Zack Thomas came in day 1 with the job even though we had players who were already here. Holland will play because they think he can do the job and if they felt he was ready earlier he would have played earlier. I agree Proctor is not a very good player but evidently he was showing more than Holland was up to this point. Coaches not even Wade will hold a player back if he thinks the player is the better and is ready to do the job

CoCo

Reaction score
Chief;2443047 said:
Missed field goals are a huge deal to Wade.

I don't think I've ever seen a coach celebrate an opponent's first-quarter missed field goal the way he did Sunday. He was really, really happy.

Yeah, that celebration Sunday was priceless. There isn't a head coach in the league that consistently celebrates as demonstrably as Wade.

My son and I get a huge kick out of watching him. We call him the Head Cheerleader.

:lmao2:

...of course its only funny until somebody loses a playoff game. :mad:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adbutcher;2443030 said:
Indeed. How come the phrase "Be careful of what you wish for", comes to mind when I hear the premature celebrating because Holland is possibly starting.

Was thinking that as well.

Sometimes the other guy has to be better, or nobody could be bad as this guy, mentality does not pan out...and we should know because we have been victims of it with the cowboys over the years.

CoCo

Reaction score
My default response is certainly to believe the coaching staff typically knows best.

But that doesn't mean they are always correct. I think we've all seen coaches who are very reluctant to play the young guys at times. Sometimes its well-founded, other times its not.

In retrospect I think its pretty clear that Romo could have been our starting QB earlier than Bill gave him the chance to.

In the case of Holland, I'm going to reserve judgment til I see him play. No one here wants to put our QB at anymore risk than he already is.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
Chief;2443034 said:
:laugh2:

I was thinking the same thing.

Holland standing still and not getting shoved back is an improvement over Proctor

tunahelper

Reaction score
Please say this happens Lord?

Proctor gets bullied like he is getting his milk money stolen.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Starting Holland over Proctor gives me hope. He can anchor, and he should be able to blast some people out of the way. Proctor can do, neither. It's a win for the Cowboys. I would feel much better about Holland starting the rest of the year if Kosier is indeed out, much better.

This is great news. Proctor gets run over, run around, misses people, and doesn't pick up stunts or twists consistently. At times, I've seen him stand there, while blocking the invisible man, while a guy runs right by his immediate area.

If Holland can come in and prevent Romo from getting killed, and if our punter can can kick well on the road, I like our chances.

RottnLivr

Reaction score
I still have an old draft guide where they compared Holland to LA, when he was coming out of FSU. I remeber seeing him and although he could push the pile he would look lost on pass protection. I hope for our sakes that he as corrected that part of his game.

Reaction score
Montrae Holland was due a pretty hefty signing bonus so I believe that was tied into the fact he didn't see the field much along with not knowing the offense.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
adbutcher;2443030 said:
Indeed. How come the phrase "Be careful of what you wish for", comes to mind when I hear the premature celebrating because Holland is possibly starting.

I was thinking the same thing

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Many of you hollering for Holland are the same saying Proctor sucks or player X sucks. If you actually came up with a stat or even enough plays to look at to prove he really sucks then I'll start paying attention to you. If not, which is normally the case, then I'll give you negative attention or just ignore you.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
adbutcher;2443030 said:

I think expecting him to look much better than Proctor at first might be too much in his first game in a scheme completely different from Denver's. I'd like to see him play the entire game against Seattle and watch for signs of progress.