Wade Wilson "Impressed" by Johnny Manziel's Pro Day

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Have to say that even though i have always been a doubter of Manziel, the way he approached the pro-day, his performance, and his attitude changed my mind

He is a leader and has absolute belief in his own abilities, both qualities you want in your QB

you put these things along with his tape and what he did against the best teams like alabama, etc and i think you have to consider him if you are the texans

Same thing was said about Tebow.
Manziel is a better pure passer. But I think he's too short. With such a small frame, durability should be a concern. Will rely too much on his legs at the next level. Not convinced on his accuracy on throws 20+ yards. If he is used correctly(roll outs, bootlegs, quick easy throws to boost confidence) I think he can be an effective starting QB eventually.

I'm torn on what to think of manziel, ive never liked his off the field crap. Most on this board either think manziel will be great, or will flop in the NFL. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I think he will be serviceable to good. I don't think he will ever play up to his draft spot tho.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Oh yeah, definitely not at 16. I'm thinking 4th round.

I don't think he'll last that long, stash. There was talk on NFL radio today that Murray may not make it out of the bottom of the second round and they were certain he would be gone by the 3rd.

Now, that was all speculation of course, but apparently there's been a lot of buzz about Murray (considering his injury status) being the steal of the draft.

Deep_South

Reaction score
For purposes of comparison, Russell Wilson is 5' 11" and 206 lbs; Manziel is 6' (minus a quarter-inch) and 207 lbs.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
For purposes of comparison, Russell Wilson is 5' 11" and 206 lbs; Manziel is 6' (minus a quarter-inch) and 207 lbs.

I've seen the size comparisons to Wilson before and they are, obviously, similar. I think where the similarity ends, however, is between the ears. Wilson has been reputed to be one of the most cerebral QBs to come out of college football in over a decade. I'd say the results, thus far, are tough to argue. JF has been touted as many things. Smart hasn't been one of them. Not that it's THE most important thing (hell Bradshaw won a few Super Bowls), but I'd take Russell over JF 100 times out of 100.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I've seen the size comparisons to Wilson before and they are, obviously, similar. I think where the similarity ends, however, is between the ears. Wilson has been reputed to be one of the most cerebral QBs to come out of college football in over a decade. I'd say the results, thus far, are tough to argue. JF has been touted as many things. Smart hasn't been one of them. Not that it's THE most important thing (hell Bradshaw won a few Super Bowls), but I'd take Russell over JF 100 times out of 100.

I think you'll agree that Wilson over Manziel is kind of a no-brainer right now, when one considers Wilson has won a Super Bowl and JF is untested at the NFL level. :)

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
If somehow JF were still there at #16, there is no way that Jerry could pass him up. Jerry honestly believes that Romo can take this team to a Super Bowl, but I think it would be too much for Jerry to pass on.
If the Texans don't take him at #1, I don't think JF gets past the Jags.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I think you'll agree that Wilson over Manziel is kind of a no-brainer right now, when one considers Wilson has won a Super Bowl and JF is untested at the NFL level. :)

Agreed. I'm just saying that if both were coming out of the draft this year the kid with the brains (and similar skill set) would be the safer bet. It's what separates Wilson from Manziel. The comparison of their physical stature is irrelevant, I guess, is what I'm trying to say.

I see JF as more of a less athletic Michael Vick than I do Russell Wilson. Wilson seems more willing to read a defense and use his athletic ability as more of a last resort than a guy like Vick who looks to run as soon as the pressure comes. I think JF is going to have to fight the urge to improvise and be more cerebral in order to actually have any long term success. That's not to say that he CAN'T do it but, I don't think it's a strength of his game and will take quite a bit of work. The unfortunate thing is that Manziel is (probably) going to go to a horrible team in which he's expected to start. That's not exactly fertile ground for learning the cerebral part of the game. He'll likely be running for his life and expected (more often than not) to try and pull out a win on his physical talent alone.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
If somehow JF were still there at #16, there is no way that Jerry could pass him up. Jerry honestly believes that Romo can take this team to a Super Bowl, but I think it would be too much for Jerry to pass on.
I agree that there's no way Jerry will pass him up if he's still there.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Or Cleveland. I think that is his best destination.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Or Cleveland. I think that is his best destination.

I do too. I don't think he's going to drop to 16 but if he did it would be interesting to see what happens. I wonder what Cleveland would give up in that trade scenario?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I do too. I don't think he's going to drop to 16 but if he did it would be interesting to see what happens. I wonder what Cleveland would give up in that trade scenario?

They would not have to trade up. They could just take him 4th overall.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I'd put my money on the Cowboys trading the 16th pick if Manziel was still there. Which he obviously won't be.

I think they're intent on winning with Romo, so using the 1st round pick on his replacement wouldn't make much sense to them.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
They would not have to trade up. They could just take him 4th overall.

I know that but I'm talking about if they took another player with their first pick and wanted to jump back in to the first if Manziel fell.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Again, I'd put my money on the Cowboys trading the 16th pick if Manziel was still there. Which he obviously won't be.

I think they're intent on winning with Romo, so using the 1st round pick on his replacement wouldn't make much sense to them.

With Romo's contract I don't think it would make sense, TBH. He's here until AT LEAST through 2015. I guess you could spend a 1st round pick on a guy that you could develop to be Romo's successor in a couple of years ala Aaron Rodgers, but with so many needs across the board, I just don't think it makes sense to draft a back up with your first round pick. Now, if it were say an Andrew Luck then yeah you take the guy and figure out how to get him out there ASAP but I don't see Manziel as that type of "can't miss".

theSHOW

Reaction score
I bump up JM a good bit after his in pads proday. Maybe a walkthrough to some but he was much impressive. I had him as a lower 2nd or 3rd round pick. I feel that I was wrong. He is a 1st round pick but I have him available at 16 when Dallas goes to the podium. Do I want him drafted? Not especially. Trade down would be our possible option if our guy is not there anymore.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Romo was 36+ years old, I could see Jerry taking Manziel, but I don't see him taking him right now even if he falls to the Cowboys.

The main reason is this team has a decent offense and desperately needs to rebuild/replace their defense. No matter how much Jerry loves and wants to make a splash on draft day, he and the draft staff know they have to go defense. You can throw numbers (several picks) at defense in the late rounds when you have some solid pieces in place and just need to fill holes, but when you lose your solid pieces like the Cowboys have, you have to draft their replacements in the early rounds to increase the odds of replacing them with starters.

Another reason I do not see Jerry drafting Manziel is because Jerry loves Romo and if the Cowboys drafted Manziel then the first game Romo throws an interception, the crowd chants for Manziel would start and the media would be all over it from that point on through the rest of the season. Even though Manziel is a lot better than Tebow, it would be the Tebow effect/problem all over again when it comes to fans and game day crowds.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
If manziel fell to sixteen, the cowboys better sprint to the podium. For the simple fact that he would be the most valuable player on the board. Rent him for a year, see what he's got, and then shop him around. He's worth a top 5 pick per draftniks. Eagles did it with kolb. The giants will probably do the same with Ryan Nassib. Ryan Mallett in NE. Teams need qb's. and they're willing to use a good amount of resources to get one, especially JF.

Or you just trade the pick and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick. It's all irrelevant, he will be gone in the top five.