Twitter: Ware not taking pay cut

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No player should or would come out and publicly say they will take a pay cut. That's foolish.

Yea I mean that kind of screws with you. For instance, if someone wanted to trade for him(crazy I know but the Raiders have done it....)? He's probably doing damage control in taking back the "pay cut" remark. It wouldn't surprise me. Not wise to come out and say you would take a pay cut.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Ware IS taking a pay cut. Whether the pay cut is with the Cowboys or another team is the only question in my opinion. He is scheduled to have a base of $12.25M for 2014. If the Cowboys cut him June 1st, he will sign with another team for a huge pay cut and probably a salary of $4M/yr. Quite a lot less than the $12M he was scheduled to get. The Cowboys might offer him around $4.5M - $5M/yr to stay with maybe some incentives.

Kaiser

Reaction score
ut we need a pass rusher who is in his prime......Ware, is starting to fade.......i love the guy too,...

I think Ware can still play at a high level if this year was all about injuries like Ware says. Whether it is or not is probably the biggest question facing the franchise this offseason.

Another factor though is that for a great passrusher to be elite there has to be another legitimate passrusher on the defense to make opposing OC's deal with more than one option. That didn't exist this year but next year you will have Spencer and/or a draft pick on the other side that OC's have to deal with.

Also IMO Selvie looked OK to good as a starter but will look great as a Nickel Passrusher next year.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Jerry is not cutting him. he will probably extend him to move more money around.

Miles in another story.

Reaction score
I hope he gets cut, we can't afford his cap hit, and Ware deserves a chance at winning something.

This. One of those instances where a divorce would be mutually beneficial. His production is down, his salary is too high, we could use his money to resign Hatcher and/or Selvie, and frankly a couple of minimum guys like Everett Brown & Jarius Wynn could produce as well, especially if we draft a dominating DT at #16.

CowboyFan4Eva

Reaction score
I think Ware can still play at a high level if this year was all about injuries like Ware says. Whether it is or not is probably the biggest question facing the franchise this offseason.

Another factor though is that for a great passrusher to be elite there has to be another legitimate passrusher on the defense to make opposing OC's deal with more than one option. That didn't exist this year but next year you will have Spencer and/or a draft pick on the other side that OC's have to deal with.

Also IMO Selvie looked OK to good as a starter but will look great as a Nickel Passrusher next year.

Yeah. Those are great points..........and I agree.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sounds like his agent finally got a hold of him to clarify his comments...

probably nearly had a heart attack when he heard what ware had said. Now if Jerruh was as smart as he thought he was he would have been on the phone trying to work a deal right away. BUT instead he had to get ready for his next media performance and his radio show. That is clearly more important.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ware IS taking a pay cut. Whether the pay cut is with the Cowboys or another team is the only question in my opinion. He is scheduled to have a base of $12.25M for 2014. If the Cowboys cut him June 1st, he will sign with another team for a huge pay cut and probably a salary of $4M/yr. Quite a lot less than the $12M he was scheduled to get. The Cowboys might offer him around $4.5M - $5M/yr to stay with maybe some incentives.

Yeah, I think we're seeing the contract dance between the two sides.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Love D-Ware, but they need to seriously think about being competitive in the future. Moving him to a 4-3 has been a massive failure.

khiladi

Reaction score
All is lost with Garrett.. doesn't matter if Ware became Reggie White, Bruce Smith and Haley rolled into one in the off-season...

DallasJ7

Reaction score
He shouldn't take a pay cut, and obviously he shouldn't say that he would. The NFL is the only major sport where you see this kind of thing, and as a HoF caliber player - even if his play has dropped off - he shouldn't be expected to take a pay cut, unless it's just something he wants to do altruistically for the better of the team.

Now that's not to say that you don't cut him and eat your losses if the cap hit is no longer worth it.

I'd like to keep Ware, but restructuring would mean pushing a lot more guaranteed money back, and it could very well be time to let go. This will be a tough decision, but I am leaning toward cutting him. Knowing how Jerry loves to keep star players, he probably will restructure and push back the tough decision and keep us in an unstable cap situation.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think he still has something left, it may not be with the boys but my guess he will shine again.

He needs to be a 3rd down pass rusher, not an every down player. He can still put up double digit sacks in that role.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
See you. Wouldn't want to be you. Actually for that kind of moolah, I change my mind.

Why would you want to be a millionaire future hall of famer?

Ware can still be effective if used correcly. He needs to be used on 3rd and long. He is not a every down player anymore unless he has been hurt all year. He needs a pay cut.

Last edited: