Twitter: Ware willing to take a pay cut

Don Corleone

Reaction score
The defensive line is a HUGE area of concern for next season. There is a possibility we will lose all 4 of our projected starters for this season (Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Spencer). I think Ware taking a pay cut (and his decline being mostly due to injury) and Spencer being signed to a cheap 1 year deal (coming off injury, and then performing well) is basically the only hope we have for a good defense next season.

I fear star players with reduced salaries. They will not be motivated. It is time to gut this team and move on.

FiveRings

Reaction score
I like this. Free rejuvenated his game after he took a pay cut, and he wasn't even half the player D-Ware was.

anava

Reaction score
Last night he said he is willing to take a pay cut if it helps the team. How does that work for the salary cap? Yes I know he sucked and has been stealing money so he should take one, just curious how pay cuts affect the salary cap.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
It's time to cut ties. If anyone should remain. I would be keeping Hatch... Dude played lights out all season, considering the situations.

And, got completely robbed of a Pro Bowl spot.

Aven8

Reaction score
Sounds like a player that knows the end is near IMO.

Very sad. What a freakin dropoff!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It comes direct off the cap. If they cut his 2014 base salary from 12.25M to 6.25M, then his cap hit of 16M would be reduced to 10M.

They would also restructure his new salary to further reduce the cap hit in 2014. They could get the 10M down below 6M with a restructure.

Most of the advantage would be in future years. If they restructure is current contract without a pay cut, then they would push 11M into future years. With a 6M pay cut, most of it would be used to reduce the 11M to 5M.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
It's time to cut ties. If anyone should remain. I would be keeping Hatch... Dude played lights out all season, considering the situations.

No way: he is too old and too unpredictable. Hatch wants big money and Dallas should help him pack. Ware at least can come back and compete if he is willing to take a pay cut. He may not be a full-time starter but he can definitely help along the d-line.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Last night he said he is willing to take a pay cut if it helps the team. How does that work for the salary cap? Yes I know he sucked and has been stealing money so he should take one, just curious how pay cuts affect the salary cap.

how about we just cut him?

conner01

Reaction score
It comes direct off the cap. If they cut his 2014 base salary from 12.25M to 6.25M, then his cap hit of 16M would be reduced to 10M.

They would also restructure his new salary to further reduce the cap hit in 2014. They could get the 10M down below 6M with a restructure.

Most of the advantage would be in future years. If they restructure is current contract without a pay cut, then they would push 11M into future years. With a 6M pay cut, most of it would be used to reduce the 11M to 5M.

to me when you ask a player to take a pay cut and you make his cut where it really does'nt cost him money then its a win/win. ware can't get 6 mil a year from anyone so taking a 6 mil cut won't cost him anything at all over what he would get if we cut him. to me the question is do you do one year or two years of salary cuts. keeping ware makes filling the roster easier. but we also need the cap savings. a salary cut serves both sides well

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's time to move on. He'll be 32 before next season. One way to reduce the probability of injuries is to minimize the number of older players on the roster.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
It's time to move on. He'll be 32 before next season. One way to reduce the probability of injuries is to minimize the number of older players on the roster.

Simple and succinct concept; one Jerry should adhere to more often.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think that's exactly what is going to happen.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
to me when you ask a player to take a pay cut and you make his cut where it really does'nt cost him money then its a win/win. ware can't get 6 mil a year from anyone so taking a 6 mil cut won't cost him anything at all over what he would get if we cut him. to me the question is do you do one year or two years of salary cuts. keeping ware makes filling the roster easier. but we also need the cap savings. a salary cut serves both sides well

The problem with pay cuts is that nobody really knows the market value of the player.

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
Just let him walk. The old core that doesn't know how to win needs to go. His leadership isn't worth anything and his production on the field can be replaced.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
that's dumb. Here a guy is willing to take one for the team. We always whine and complain about selfish players. He knows his play has declined, and is willing to put up to help us get other players, and we have a problem with that. Ware is one of our own, this man has given this team everything. For years he's done it with no one on the other side, and now he's saying he's willing to cut his pay because he's not where he was.

The guy played great today. He made several pressures that caused Foles to move away from the pocket where he was sacked or hurried. He still has value, but I will say this, if it's time to cut Ware or Trade him, let's throw Romo in there too.
Say he went down to 7.5 mil and was moved about and played less plays.
Could be more effective.

silver

Reaction score
Wow. No loyalty in this forum whatsoever.

Guy is willing to take a paycut and still everyone wants to cut him even though it just creates another larger hole in the defense with no replacement on the roster. Dumb...

the hole is there already.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
No way: he is too old and too unpredictable. Hatch wants big money and Dallas should help him pack. Ware at least can come back and compete if he is willing to take a pay cut. He may not be a full-time starter but he can definitely help along the d-line.

Yeah. I agree.. Just had a little love for the Hatch this season. He is old... Time to move on from him as well.