Twitter: Ware willing to take a pay cut

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
Taking a cut is a class move on his part. I'd like to see him retire a Cowboy. Better to have him fill some roll than just have him as more dead money they can't spare.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
When he loses, "it's a team game." But now he's accountable for all of our points, including the defense's and special team's.

Anyway, the reason is pretty simple and doesn't really have much to do with performance. Either he takes a cut, or we're not going to be competitive.

Not only is Romo not going to take a pay cut, but even more of his $108 million contract will be converted to guaranteed money when he restructures to give us cap relief.

Franchise QBs dont take pay cuts....................if somebody told you they did, then somebody told you wrong.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I respect what the guy has done in the past for this team and acknowledging his decline in play.

However he was nowhere as good last night as some posters are saying.

He was neutralized for the majority of the game and it was Hatcher, Selvie and Wynn that generated the most pressure.

Ware looked like he should be backing up the guy who should be our back up Selvie last night.

If Ware is willing to compete in camp for a starting job at a price comes erase with that approach than it's a win for this team.

If not it's time to change the guard.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
As for Ware, I got no problem keeping him if he takes a pay cut..............he had a terrible season.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Him taking a paycut is really the best case scenario for the Cowboys.

Straight up releasing him causes a huge amount of dead cap space, and that's not including whatever salary is going to go towards his replacement.

If he takes a decent paycut, you can lower his cap number without dead money issues and without having to prorate more of his base salary into future years.

It is, by far, the best possible outcome for the Cowboys.

Excellent Points, this is good news for the Cowboys.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
It's not a loyalty or a money thing. If the guy can't play anymore, a pay cut doesn't sack the QB.

I bet you were in the crowd to cut Free as well. Had a down year, and ended up being one of the top ranked RTs via PFF.

HAVE ONE BAD YEAR! OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!

smh...

bounce

Reaction score
It's amazing that people are all or nothing in here. Ware isn't 2009 Ware, but 2013 Ware isn't Kavika Pittman or Shante Carver or any of the other schmucks we've marched through here trying to recreate Haley. He's still VERY serviceable.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I bet you were in the crowd to cut Free as well. Had a down year, and ended up being one of the top ranked RTs via PFF.

HAVE ONE BAD YEAR! OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!

smh...

Yeah, I did want free cut. I was wrong on him. I may very well be wrong on Ware, but given his age and injury history, I don't think I am. And Ware hasn't been WARE in 2-3 years.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the record, I am not with the crowd saying Ware is done. I've never seen a HOF player being so quickly cast aside. He's clearly on the decline but I believe he's got a couple more good seasons in him. Seasons that will be much better than any other DE on this roster could produce in a career year.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
This was Ware's worst season as a pro. Was it the position change or simply age? Hard to tell, but he's lost some explosion.

Simple scenario: would you want him to be proactive and take a pay cut or tell him to take a pay cut or else? I'm sick of dead money bottling up our cap space.

bounce

Reaction score
For the record, I am not with the crowd saying Ware is done. I've never seen a HOF player being so quickly cast aside. He's clearly on the decline but I believe he's got a couple more good seasons in him. Seasons that will be much better than any other DE on this roster could produce in a career year.

People also need to consider that in years past he had SOME help. He went into training camp with Ratliff, Spencer and Brent alongside him. He ended the season (and played the whole season) with guys off the street.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Yeah, I did want free cut. I was wrong on him. I may very well be wrong on Ware, but given his age and injury history, I don't think I am. And Ware hasn't been WARE in 2-3 years.

Yup. 31 sacks and 7 forced fumbles in 11' & 12' is awful.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Yup. 31 sacks and 7 forced fumbles in 11' & 12' is awful.

Demarcus Ware only has 17.5 sacks the past 2 years. If he wants to be making top money, then 6-10 sacks a year isn't going to cut it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Him taking a paycut is really the best case scenario for the Cowboys.

Straight up releasing him causes a huge amount of dead cap space, and that's not including whatever salary is going to go towards his replacement.

If he takes a decent paycut, you can lower his cap number without dead money issues and without having to prorate more of his base salary into future years.

It is, by far, the best possible outcome for the Cowboys.

They can free up 7.5M in 2014 by releasing him immediately or 12M if they wait until June 1st.

They don't need to keep him for cap purposes.

KB1122

Reaction score
Again, if you get a star player to restructure money to the back end of the deal, and if you then refuse to honor that commitment, then you're never going to get players to restructure.

This is one the team just has to take.

hra8700

Reaction score
The defensive line is a HUGE area of concern for next season. There is a possibility we will lose all 4 of our projected starters for this season (Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Spencer). I think Ware taking a pay cut (and his decline being mostly due to injury) and Spencer being signed to a cheap 1 year deal (coming off injury, and then performing well) is basically the only hope we have for a good defense next season.