Twitter: Ware willing to take a pay cut

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Will Romo?

Romo's lowest point total in 7 home games this season......................29 points

Point total of team with backup QB.......................................................22 points.

Point total of opponent in elimination game..........................................24 points.

Please explain to Romo and his agent exactly why he should be taking a pay cut.

Prossman

Reaction score
He's not shooting off about his contract. How do you people not see that he's trying to say that he wants to do whatever it takes to help this team improve and get to the next level? That's really what he was saying if you can read between the lines at all..it wasn't a selfish statement at all.
This. Ware wants a ring and is willing to do what it takes to get one. Including putting his money where his mouth is. He has been beat up the last couple of years, Maybe he is never going to be the same, maybe he will. I'm will to take the gamble he will, especially with him will to free up cap space to do it. We already need 2 starting defensive lineman, 3 if hatcher leaves and now we get rid of ware and need 4.....Oh yeah that's a great idea especially when we take the massive cap hit and can't afford to sign any free agents.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
that's dumb. Here a guy is willing to take one for the team. We always whine and complain about selfish players. He knows his play has declined, and is willing to put up to help us get other players, and we have a problem with that. Ware is one of our own, this man has given this team everything. For years he's done it with no one on the other side, and now he's saying he's willing to cut his pay because he's not where he was.

The guy played great today. He made several pressures that caused Foles to move away from the pocket where he was sacked or hurried. He still has value, but I will say this, if it's time to cut Ware or Trade him, let's throw Romo in there too.

Beyond money, the question to ask is whether or not he's worth a spot on the 53 man roster, versus someone else that might be a younger player on the rise. He did play a good week 17 game, but where was this effort most of this season?

The core of this team needs to be rebuilt with younger, faster, cheaper players. They should have let Romo walk too, but in typical fashion they lock him up to a huge deal.

Smith22

Reaction score
Glad 2 hear he is open to a pay cut. Hopefully it happens. He clearly is on the decline, but I would keep him at the right price.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo's lowest point total in 7 home games this season......................29 points

Point total of team with backup QB.......................................................22 points.

Point total of opponent in elimination game..........................................24 points.

Because the back up did it with 3 days of practice. LOL No chance for timing, and speed of the game.

bark

Reaction score
I don't know why ware addressed it. Probably was just answering a question.
Whatever the reason, I see this as the best possible scenario.
While he is not the player he was once was, he still has value to this team. Last night he played containment very well. Numerous times he turned shady back inside. Most of the damage McCoy did was right up the middle.
Get him healthy with rest and or surgery and make him a situational/ rotation guy.
Draft his replacement and get some physical down D lineman to play next to him and he can be serviceable with an occasional big play.
He knows his situation and sounds willing to do whatever to help this team win. After the Rat fiasco this yr, this news should be rejoiced in cowboy nation..... IMO

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Why are you being naive. Ware and Allen are the two greatest pass rushers of this era. Anyone with common sense would say so. Did you just start watching football this year?
That was only in reference to "everyone with more sacks has played longer" comment. I never said anything other than that.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
What I'm saying is he probably should keep this private between him, his agent and management. The Dallas media will be all over this pay cut thing. I think it would've been in his best interest to keep it to himself. Yes it's my opinion and there's no need for you to spew such venom about it. And when has anyone taken you seriously?

How about the best interest of the team? Having so much money tied up in so few players is what has so severely handicapped this team.

Fredd

Reaction score
I don't get why people are upset by this...some vulture in the media couldn't help themselves when everyone on the team was upset and asked him about his future. Had he gone the opposite route and said something like "my agent and I will be addressing that going forward", then that could be taken WAY out of context by the media as him being a hard***...not to mention how the front office people in this site would react

IMO, the guy has a legacy to protect; he has always been a Cowboy and likely wants to continue in that capacity; he really is a terrific team player and perhaps he is taking one for the team and perhaps he is trying to extend his time with the team; PERHAPS he is trying to preserve his legacy and work towards getting in the ring of honor and potentially getting in to the HOF as a cowboy some day

I personally have no problem with what he said, especially given the circumstances of when he was asked; Ware on a reasonable contract playing less snaps is a win for the organization on so many levels, not the least of which is keeping him with the team and letting him retire some day as a cowboy (as long as it doesn't affect the team negatively)

KB1122

Reaction score

When he loses, "it's a team game." But now he's accountable for all of our points, including the defense's and special team's.

Anyway, the reason is pretty simple and doesn't really have much to do with performance. Either he takes a cut, or we're not going to be competitive.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
That's why he's my favorite current Cowboy... The guy is all about team. A true class act!

KB1122

Reaction score
The problem with cutting Ware's salary is that if you do it, then you will never get another player to restructure money to the back end of the deal.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
is 100% too much of a pay cut?

I think it may be. If Ware is on this team next season, at any price, I'll be extremely disappointed. We need to move on. Ware is a HOF'er but I think he's done.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Wow. No loyalty in this forum whatsoever.

Guy is willing to take a paycut and still everyone wants to cut him even though it just creates another larger hole in the defense with no replacement on the roster. Dumb...

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Wow. No loyalty in this forum whatsoever.

Guy is willing to take a paycut and still everyone wants to cut him even though it just creates another larger hole in the defense with no replacement on the roster. Dumb...

It's not a loyalty or a money thing. If the guy can't play anymore, a pay cut doesn't sack the QB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Because the back up did it with 3 days of practice. LOL No chance for timing, and speed of the game.

Romo and his agent laugh in your face with that argument........................they will tell you that players take pay cuts when they suck, Romo had one of his best seasons of all time.........31 TDs and only 10 INTs.

Go look up how many starting QBs in the NFL have a 3 to 1 TD to INT ratio and then get back to me.