Twitter: Warren Sharp: Cowboys QB1 's cap hit, by year 2007-2024| Cap Hell Myth Destroyer

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Go back and listen to several interviews with Jimmy Johnson. He said Aikman was held back due to the running nature of the team. He specifically said Aikman would have had incredible stats if not for Emmitt and the system.
And that is true. Troy would thrive in the current NFL especially since you can barely touch the QB anymore. Stats are deceiving. But they always are when you compare today's NFL to the past. Maybe if today's Cowboys would sacrifice stats for the good of the team we might be better.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I want to change it all up. I want a new coach, I want a new staff, I want a new QB, I am ready to start rebuilding the OL, etc.

What we have built isn't working. It's failed over and over and over and over and over. Is it all Dak's fault? Nope. But he's had a hand in the failures at some of our biggest moments. My plan would have been shitcan McCarthy and gutted the staff. I would have hired a new, up and coming HC. I'd have given Dak and his agent a chance to work a trade. I'd let the new coaching staff see what they have in Lance and if I got solid return in the Dak trade, I'd maneuver to try to a take a QB in this draft.

I'd also have started to see what contracts I could trim to load up on cap space for a year or two from now. I am not afraid of change. I am not afraid of failure. I am afraid of wasting time on something that clearly doesn't work and right now, what Jerry has built, isn't working.
Yeah, let's get rid of our All Pro QB. No one in their right mind would ever do that in the NFL.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And that is true. Troy would thrive in the current NFL especially since you can barely touch the QB anymore. Stats are deceiving. But they always are when you compare today's NFL to the past. Maybe if today's Cowboys would sacrifice stats for the good of the team we might be better.
They can barely touch the receivers today also compared to the 90's and before.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They can barely touch the receivers today also compared to the 90's and before.
Exactly. And the NFL is so watered down now. A lot of bad football being played out there. It's not like it was in the 80's and 90's.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Not quite. They benched Wentz during the 2020 season. When that happened, it was pretty much over for him in Philly. So even if Hurts didn't play well, they moving on from Wentz and this was confirmed by media in Philly. If you want to argue they were lucky to have Hurts, great, but the idea they moved on because they knew they had a star in Hurts is an exaggeration. He wasn't even all that good for the Eagles when he finally got the starting nod after his insertion into the Week 13 game against GB.

But they stuck with the change nevertheless and didn't invest anything else into the QB position. They took the chance and rode with Hurts.

Getting rid of your QB isn't a death blow people want to make it to be. And further, if the QB (and coach) you have continues to fail in the big spots, why continue?
I said a “sense of what he could do”. Don’t know if he’s a star now. He certainly isn’t as good as Dak Prescott. If Wentz was playing as well as Dak has been playing I doubt Philly would have traded him away.

stiletto

Reaction score
Yeah, let's get rid of our All Pro QB. No one in their right mind would ever do that in the NFL.
I'm curious, as long as Dak plays well in the regular season and continues to bomb in the playoffs every time, how much longer are you willing to give him? Another decade? Unlimited time as long as he gets us to 12-5, 11-7 or whatever? Serious question. When is enough for you from a good regular season player?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm curious, as long as Dak plays well in the regular season and continues to bomb in the playoffs every time, how much longer are you willing to give him? Another decade? Unlimited time as long as he gets us to 12-5, 11-7 or whatever? Serious question. When is enough for you from a good regular season player?
Yes

Sydla

Reaction score
Then there is no reason to not have him extended at this point. Zero reason. If he's that good and you can't live without him, then why is he unsigned when his extension could have freed up a ton of cap space to IMPROVE a roster that clearly wasn't good enough in 2023?

The reality is that for all his regular season exploits, he's pretty much come up small in the postseason (along with our illustrious head coaches and some of other players).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Or slapping $100K on a Pinto Rush.. at least the Honda is still purchased by NFL GMs :lmao2:
I knew you would bring Rush into the fold. How embarrassing. lmao.

But, you forgot the "skinny legs" part that you seem so enamored about.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes what? Another decade?

Question was for @America's Cowboy too
I would give Dak as much time as it takes GM Jethro to find a legitimate replacement.

Unless GM Jethro commits to a full blown rebuild, which I never think he would ever consider at his age.

Again. The problem is not Dak. The problem is we don't have a replacement for Dak.

That is GM Jethro's fault. Not Dak's.

stiletto

Reaction score
I would give Dak as much time as it takes GM Jethro to find a legitimate replacement.

Unless GM Jethro commits to a full blown rebuild, which I never think he would ever consider at his age.

Again. The problem is not Dak. The problem is we don't have a replacement for Dak.

That is GM Jethro's fault. Not Dak's.
While paying him $60 million every year?

Chasing6

Reaction score
While paying him $60 million every year?
Why do you guys keep adding things in that no one has said?

His salary this year is $29M. His cap is at $55 because of restructuring his contract multiple times. GM Jethro was the one who decided to restructured his contract.

Dak signed a 4 year $160M contract that equates to $40M a year. No Cowboy fan on this board has has commented about signing Dak for $60M a year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here you go. Watch this video. Kurt Warner and Cole Beasley explain whose fault it was for those INTs.

stiletto

Reaction score
Here you go. Watch this video. Kurt Warner and Cole Beasley explain whose fault it was for those INTs.

Regardless of "fault" there is STILL something lacking in Dak's playoff games except to loser teams just like in regular season. I don't think it matters. People like you will excuse him or explain away anything about his flaws for all time. It's called "Confirmation Bias".

stiletto

Reaction score
Why do you guys keep adding things in that no one has said?

His salary this year is $29M. His cap is at $55 because of restructuring his contract multiple times. GM Jethro was the one who decided to restructured his contract.

Dak signed a 4 year $160M contract that equates to $40M a year. No Cowboy fan on this board has has commented about signing Dak for $60M a year.
What if he is asking for that? Do you think it is too much? ($60 million/per)

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Regardless of "fault" there is STILL something lacking in Dak's playoff games except to loser teams just like in regular season. I don't think it matters. People like you will excuse him or explain away anything about his flaws for all time. It's called "Confirmation Bias".
Not to worry man in 10 years when we still haven't won anything we can blame the next guy for Dak's ineptitude.