Was Aikman overrated?

Acheman08

Reaction score
No. He was deadly accurate.

It was a much less passing oriented league back then. His stats are never going to compare to someone from 20 years later
This. His later years he went through lots of terrible coaching and ownership decisions but, he was scary accurate. There are tons of them, like multiple Alvin Harper throws, but the one i always think of is in the SB to Deion who was playing offense.

Legend

Reaction score
This. His later years he went through lots of terrible coaching and ownership decisions but, he was scary accurate. There are tons of them, like multiple Alvin Harper throws, but the one i always think of is in the SB to Deion who was playing offense.

Here is another one because he came out on fire during the game Tom Landry was inducted into the Ring of Honor

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Overrated by Cowboys fans, oh God yes. Overrated by the general population, no. Nobody outside of Cowboys fans would have him as a top 10 QB all time, and he'd probably rank towards the bottom of the top 20 - and that's for a QB with 3 rings.

He was a very good QB, but he wasn't in the stratosphere of other great QB's from his generation like Marino, Elway, and probably below Young.

Last edited:

JJ1986

Reaction score
Aikman had 15 fourth quarter comebacks & 20 game winning drives. While Romo had better overall stats career wise please take a look at the playoffs totals.

Player Comparison: Aikman vs Romo: https://stathead.com/tiny/dKRM6

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

Aikman was not overrated.
Romo was overrated. Bill Bates and Sean "The Snake" Leach were overrated.
Now Dak and Zeke are overrated.

Troy, show them your 3 Super Bowl rings.

plasticman

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.
End the relationship with your friend now. I'm pretty sure flawed reasoning is not contagious, but why take chances?

Is Troy Aikman overrated?

How in the world can a starting quarterback for a three time SB champion team be overrated?

Here is a more important question. Why does your friend think his opinion matters when he obviously didn't do a lick of research?

The Cowboys had a "pick your poison" offense. What does it say about Aikman when most defenses chose Emmitt Smith to beat them? Troy Aikman didn't have overall gawdy numbers because he didn't need to most of the time. However, when he did need them, he produced most often.

Does your friend know that one of Troy Aikman's best seasons was the postseason? The Cowboys were 11-5 with Troy as the starting QB in a playoff game.

Here is an interesting fact:

Does your friend know that, for each level of the playoffs, Troy's productivity increased. That's right, the more important the game, the better he played.

Troy's passer rating in the divisional round is a combined 89.7. The conference champion games it was 100.3 and in the Super Bowls it was 111.9

In Super Bowl 27 Troy was MVP with a passer rating of 140.7. Passer rating are a statistical formula, not an opinion.

This is all just.the typical numbers that is used to justify greatness for those who didn't actually watch him play. Troy was tough as nails. He was John Wayne with a helmet. He was a strong armed, deadly accurate, pinpoint passer.

Irvin could be triple covered 30 yards out and Aikmen would put the ball between the 8's on Michael's jersey. During training camp there was this display of Aikman's handprint. I'm a 6 foot adult male and that mold swallowed my hand. Aikman used a different grip because he could place his hand entirely across the area of the football.

Troy Aikman's football accomplishments are far too numerous for anybody to claim he was overrated.