Was Aikman overrated?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Oh...so this isn't a message board and no one should comment on your opinion even though you commented on someone else's? When you point to things like completion percentage with current NFL QB's in comparison to QB's of a different era, that's just stupid. You can argue that Aikman was over-rated but his stats from that era don't support your opinion. His completion percentage was almost unheard of in that era and he was a pro-bowl QB and future HoF'er.

But when you post the stats in comparison to today's NFL to try to prop Dak and Romo, you're also being critical of Roger Staubach, another HoF'er. To even think that Romo and Dak are in the same league as Staubach and Aikman simply because the rules of the game have been changed to benefit and support the offense, then that's not a logical argument. I'm trying to help you....you should be thanking me.
Not reading that

again, said what im said and stand behind it, won't be keyboard bullied into changing my opinion. got it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
You liked Romo over Aikman?

Romo who did not play well under pressure, made careless boneheaded decisions, and went one and done in the 2007 playoffs with a team of 13 pro bowlers?

versus Aikman who elevated his play during the post season?
again, said what im said and stand behind it, won't be keyboard bullied into changing my opinion. got it..

Not sure where you read that but it is what it is..Put Romo on those 90s teams he would also have rings same with dak and zeke..its a team sport and sorry if you do not equate 144INTS as bone head mistakes , what else does it mean to have a qb on championship HOF team to have 165 tds to 144int that chit load of picks . you say those are not mistakes..that averge td-int ratio RO o has 80more tds and less Its how is he considered a choker a mistake prone qb who threw more but had less INTS??

Legend

Reaction score

Not sure where you read that but it is what it is..Put Romo on those 90s teams he would also have rings same with dak and zeke..its a team sport and sorry if you do not equate 144INTS as bone head mistakes , what else does it mean to have a qb on championship HOF team to have 165 tds to 144int that chit load of picks . you say those are not mistakes..that averge td-int ratio RO o has 80more tds and less Its how is he considered a choker a mistake prone qb who threw more but had less INTS??

It is about playing Big in Big games against great competition.

Aikman elevated his game during the postseason when it counted the most against other teams with QBs with better regular season stats.

I.e. performing in the playoffs and winning games even against favored teams like the 1992 14-2 49ers.

You think fans care about Dan Marino’s, Jim Kelly’s, Steve Young’s, John Elway’s, Warren Moon’s, and other QB stats relative to Aikman’s during the Cowboys 3 SB wins of the 1990s?

"In 1992, he led the Cowboys to a 13-3 record, their best in team history, and in the playoffs, he was breathtaking, throwing two touchdowns without a pick against Philadelphia, completing 71% of his passes with two touchdowns against the 49ers and, in the Super Bowl against Buffalo, winning the MVP by completing 22 of 30 passes for 273 yards and four touchdowns."

"The next year, it happened again — a 12-4 record, moderate numbers and in the postseason Aikman outdueled Brett Favre in the divisional round (three touchdown passes, 76% completions), outplayed Steve Young in the championship game (144.7 passer rating)."

blueblood70

Reaction score
It is about playing Big in Big games against great competition.

Aikman elevated his game during the postseason when it counted the most against other teams with QBs with better regular season stats.

I.e. performing in the playoffs and winning games even against favored teams like the 1992 14-2 49ers.

You think fans care about Dan Marino’s, Jim Kelly’s, Steve Young’s, John Elway’s, Warren Moon’s, and other QB stats relative Aikman’s during the Cowboys 3 SB wins of the 1990s?

"In 1992, he led the Cowboys to a 13-3 record, their best in team history, and in the playoffs, he was breathtaking, throwing two touchdowns without a pick against Philadelphia, completing 71% of his passes with two touchdowns against the 49ers and, in the Super Bowl against Buffalo, winning the MVP by completing 22 of 30 passes for 273 yards and four touchdowns."

"The next year, it happened again — a 12-4 record, moderate numbers and in the postseason Aikman outdueled Brett Favre in the divisional round (three touchdown passes, 76% completions), outplayed Steve Young in the championship game (144.7 passer rating)."
not reading that

time to move on i said what i said..you wont convince me otherwise.

Legend

Reaction score
not reading that

time to move on i said what i said..you wont convince me otherwise.
Yes. You either did not watch the Cowboys in the early 1990s or are not a Cowboys fan.

Because there is no way a fan would prefer a player with “better” regular season stats who did not perform in the playoffs to one who performed in the playoffs and won SBs.

The real season starts with the postseason because it is win or go home.

And the goal is to win Super Bowls.

The 2007 season ending was painful as a Cowboys fan (heard throughout the regular season that this team with 13 pro bowlers could be better than the 1992 one) and the collapse late in 2008 regular season (including the 44-6 blowout loss to the Eagles with a playoff spot on the line) was painful as well.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes. You either did not watch the Cowboys in the early 1990s or are not a Cowboys fan.

Because there is no way a fan would prefer a player with “better” regular season stats who did not perform in the playoffs to one who performed in the playoffs.

The real season starts with the postseason because it is win or go home.

And the goal is to win Super Bowls.

The 2007 season ending was painful as a Cowboys fan and the collapse late in 2008 regular season was painful as well.
STOP
im ignoring you..

stop i watched every game never missed one since the 1980-now..sorry go away. Cant stand some who doesn't allow an opinion ..sorry it shocks you but i have a different perspective.

Legend

Reaction score
STOP
im ignoring you..

stop i watched every game never missed one since the 1980-now..sorry go away. Cant stand some who doesn't allow an opinion ..sorry it shocks you but i have a different perspective.

I am responding to your opinion.

You prefer regular season stats over Super Bowl wins?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.
Those who say he was overrated only look at stats and don't consider the decisions making, leadership and coming through at key moments. He was in charge and the guy that ensured the offense ran like a well oiled machine.

Nevertheless, it is true that players clearly get more HOF consideration if the are on SB winning teams, and particularly if on multiple SB winning teams, and even more so if performances stood out in those SBs. Lynn Swann, for example, certainly didn't have the career stats, but his acrobatic catches in SB winning efforts got him to the HOF.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.
Time to get new friends.

blueblood70

Reaction score
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
right exception is in sports, movies, music, and art. Its all perspective

sorry but you just made the list that old adage meant. you should keep your trap shut.:angry::thumbdown::popcorn:

trying to force an actual opinion on another is fools errand.

lukin2006

Reaction score
No. 3 Super Bowls. Nuff said. Winning is what matters. #8 quarterbacked this franchise to greatness.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Embrace the power of "AND."

Aikman is overrated, AND the Cowboys would not have won those 3 Super Bowls without him. Matthew Stafford would have won multiple Super Bowls with those Dallas teams. But Aikman was the leader of those teams, and leadership matters too - not just QB skill and stats.

Another overrated QB who is destined to be in the Hall of Fame because of his Super Bowl wins - Eli Manning.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

I think you're exactly right, just because Aikman didn't HAVE TO carry the team didn't mean he wasn't capable of it.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I do not believe Romo ever gets to the Final round voting. Too many contemporaries at QB who are considered better. He had a short career with no major awards or playoff success. He had good but not great stats for his era.

My point is the argument used for Eli is the same argument you are making for Aikman. Aikman's team won multiple Super Bowls with him being one of the key players. Eli's teams won 2 SBs and he was the MVP in both.

Legend

Reaction score
I do not believe Romo ever gets to the Final round voting. Too many contemporaries at QB who are considered better. He had a short career with no major awards or playoff success. He had good but not great stats for his era.

My point is the argument used for Eli is the same argument you are making for Aikman. Aikman's team won multiple Super Bowls with him being one of the key players. Eli's teams won 2 SBs and he was the MVP in both.

Aikman elevated his play during the postseason with a record of 7-0, 2 SBs, and 1 SB MVP during his first 7 games as a playoff starter; playing in the NFC Beast with a SB champion in 5 out of 6 years starting in 1990.

With a run heavy offense, he still finished in the top 5 for passing yards and most wins as a QB in the 1990s.

Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Kelly, Moon, and others were the other top QBs of that era.