Was Aikman overrated?

jay94

Reaction score
Sounds like you are saying Aikman was a choker after winning 3 Super Bowls but forget to mention that the rules in the 90's were very different wherein the rules didn't favor the offense. Also, consider you have players that are far superior in their athletic abilities than in the 90's so any attempt to dismiss Aikman with a comparison of a more recent player is insanity.

PS
Aikman threw 141 career INT's not 144. Also of note is Aikman threw 36 INT's his first 2 seasons and 20 TD's so beyond the first 2 seasons of a piss poor team and growth Aikman threw for 145 TD's to 105 INT's....not great of course but again, a different era of football play. Oh, and Aikman was 11-4 in the playoffs so he clearly showed up when needed.

If you listened to people on the inside, the decline of team started in 95 so is it really on Aikman?

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Troy Aikman knew and understood his assignment.; He sacrificed his own numbers for the betterment of others.. He was the embodiment of team-player, he was well aware of the stats and the MVP's his contemporaries {Brett Farve, Jim Kelly, Steve Young} were getting, but his focus was winning super bowls. He's won more rings than all 3 guys combined.. In my humble opinion Troy Aikman is one of the most UNDERRATED players of all-time.**

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Aikman is one of the most underrated QBs in league history. All I know is that I never felt that Aikman would let me down back then.

Naysayers have downplayed Aikman, Smith and Irvin since back in the day, claiming they were only good because of the team around them. If true, then the Cowboys most certainly were the greatest team ever put together to carry three guys to hall of fame careers like that. And if that's the case, who were these all time greats that did the carrying? Allen? He wasn't even there for the first two Super Bowls? Anyone on defense? Who is considered a GOAT there? Deion? Again, not there for the first two.

It's just anti-Cowboys bias and has gone on since before the 90s. Pearson and Harris were for years the only all 70s team members to not be in the Hall of Fame.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
when im looking at all these number from our best qbs the last 35years all i see is teams and coaches failed Dak and Romo and were there for Troy./.no real difference in Indvidual play. Troy had a giant advantage

Dallas wasted Romo’s best seasons.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Not even a clue.....Do you know what Staubach's career QB rating was? 83 and he wasn't even a 60% career passer. Dan Marino wasn't a 60% career completion passer and his career QB rating was 86. John Elway had a 56.9 career completion percentage and a 79.9 career QB rating. All these QB's were elite franchise QB's in their generation.

A QB is judged by his peers and Aikman was an elite QB in his generation. The only QB's of that era and before who had a higher completion percentage were Steve Young and Brett Farve. If any of these QB's I mentioned played in today's two hand touch NFL where you can't touch the QB or WR, they'd re-write the record books.
I can Judge and evaluate how i see FIT.

you are dont know what you are talking about and are as CLUELESS...

see how that works, throwing about opinion as if its facts, your opinions are just that and carry NO MORE weight than mine.. go find a new hobby.

I said what i said and will stick to it..its taboo i know but Hey you all have no issues taking Dak and Romo to the matt and i decided to see Aikman's RS as very average for player surrounded by HOF players and coaches.. just saying 144 INTs is horrible to only 165 td that just Bortle like my man. Yes in the playoff Aikman for sure stepped his game up..he was great ,love my Cowboys but hes not bulletproof for fan critique

go away troll your will not dissuade me from my statements......do not try..

Dodger12

Reaction score

see how that works, throwing about opinion as if its facts, your opinions are just that and carry NO MORE weight than mine.. go find a new hobby.

I said what i said and will stick to it..its taboo i know but Hey you all have no issues taking Dak and Romo to the matt and i decided to see Aikman's RS as very average for player surrounded by HOF players and coaches.. just saying 144 INTs is horrible to only 165 td that just Bortle like my man. Yes in the playoff Aikman for sure stepped his game up..he was great ,love my Cowboys but hes not bulletproof for fan critique

I'm not trying to dissuade you from anything. I didn't just post opinions but facts and stats which obviously eluded you. You're making a complete fool of yourself comparing stats from today's NFL to the NFL of the past. You think you're defending Dak and Romo but you're just showing your ignorance. Dak and Romo are not in the same league as Staubach or Aikman.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not trying to dissuade you from anything. I didn't just post opinions but facts and stats which obviously eluded you. You're making a complete fool of yourself comparing stats from today's NFL to the NFL of the past. You think you're defending Dak and Romo but you're just showing your ignorance. Dak and Romo are not in the same league as Staubach or Aikman.
NOI they are opinions based on perspectives

on how you view those stats,I say he was overrated in the regular season but made his bones in the payoffs and SBs im not down playing his career just making sure i saw the same type of careers from Eli , Flacco and foles , far better playoff runs than RS stats. if you look at his stats 165 td-144 isn't that pretty average by definition so we can say he had an overrated regular season career given his Team and coches..

BTW 0-2 start without ES, i mean dak would get roasted for that, OH wait Dak did, Zekes 6 game suspension with 2 OL out and all we did is roast DAK.,. turnabout fairs play...team was upset couldnt win. where was Aikman? couldn't win missing one RB? IMHO he was a product of great team and coaches but did step up in the biggest moments, not taking that away from him.

again, leave it alone some of us are allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours.
MOVE on this is waste of time.

Dodger12

Reaction score
NOI they are opinions based on perspectives

on how you view those stats,I say he was overrated in the regular season but made his bones in the payoffs and SBs im not down playing his career just making sure i saw the same type of careers from Eli , Flacco and foles , far better playoff runs than RS stats. if you look at his stats 165 td-144 isn't that pretty average by definition so we can say he had an overrated regular season career given his Team and coches..

BTW 0-2 start without ES, i mean dak would get roasted for that, OH wait Dak did, Zekes 6 game suspension with 2 OL out and all we did is roast DAK.,. turnabout fairs play...team was upset couldnt win. where was Aikman? couldn't win missing one RB? IMHO he was a product of great team and coaches but did step up in the biggest moments, not taking that away from him.

again, leave it alone some of us are allowed to have an opinion that differs from yours.
MOVE on this is waste of time.

Oh...so this isn't a message board and no one should comment on your opinion even though you commented on someone else's? When you point to things like completion percentage with current NFL QB's in comparison to QB's of a different era, that's just stupid. You can argue that Aikman was over-rated but his stats from that era don't support your opinion. His completion percentage was almost unheard of in that era and he was a pro-bowl QB and future HoF'er.

But when you post the stats in comparison to today's NFL to try to prop Dak and Romo, you're also being critical of Roger Staubach, another HoF'er. To even think that Romo and Dak are in the same league as Staubach and Aikman simply because the rules of the game have been changed to benefit and support the offense, then that's not a logical argument. I'm trying to help you....you should be thanking me.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman played only one year longer than Irvin. So, the fact you make a statement like "he sucked after he lost Irvin, just proves to me that you are nothing but a troll.

You cannot compare stats from different eras of football. You can't make a statistical argument for just about any QB other than Marino if you do it that way. From late 1990 to around 1996, a span of 7 season, nobody was better. In the playoffs, which is where he really stood out, he was just about untouchable. If you didn't see him play against the players from his generation, and all you have to reference are a page of stats, you not only miss the big picture but don't know what you are talking about.

There's your whole problem right there. You literally misquote what is written right in front of you. I said he was done after Irvin went down. Never said Aikman sucked.[/QUOTE]

So in what version of the English language does "Once Aikman lost Irvin, he was done." not imply that Aikman sucked without Irvin?

khiladi

Reaction score
Elway and Marino were career upper 50 percentile completion percentage in that era, Aikman was over 60%.

They weren’t even running 3 WE were regularly, it was basically 2 WR sets.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

I dont think there is any question that Aikman is overrated in the eyes of most Cowboy fans.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Elway and Marino were career upper 50 percentile completion percentage in that era, Aikman was over 60%.

They weren’t even running 3 WE were regularly, it was basically 2 WR sets.

Yep and he was basically throwing play action, short to medium type stuff.

Legend

Reaction score

You liked Romo over Aikman?

Romo who did not play well under pressure, made careless boneheaded decisions, and went one and done in the 2007 playoffs with a team of 13 pro bowlers?

versus Aikman who elevated his play during the post season?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are in a disagreement. He says Aikman was overrated and he's in the Hall of Fame because he was on a great team and that he was a bus driver.
I said to him, without Aikman Cowboys don't win 3 Super Bowls if any at all. Aikman did what he had to do and it wasn't about gawdy stats but if Aikman had to put up big numbers than he could have.

Your friend is an astronaut