Was Lamb a little gimpy on the overthrows?

Aven8

Reaction score
I know it's time to move on to the Falcons but it occurred to me as I watched that game last week that Lamb could not find the gear to go get those balls. Generally he has been a guy who has been able to hit the turbo button and go get it. We know he sat out a lot of practice after the ankle tweak which meant not only was he gimpy but the timing with Dak was not where it needed to be. Did Dak heave those balls with a 100% Lamb in mind but that guy wasn't playing on Sunday. I know the haters will whine that this is excuse making but who cares? When things go wrong I look for reasons why.. Those who don't like it are free to go read other people's posts.

I just read an article where Coop was saying he and Lamb could barely run last week. He said that’s why they were doing so well covering them.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I just read an article where Coop was saying he and Lamb could barely run last week. He said that’s why they were doing so well covering them.

Yeah.. for some reason people want to take acknowledging that the guys were not 100% is excusing Dak for his part in that debacle. They were dinged and it showed. Both in their outright speed and in the crispness of their routes. Not seeing Dak's fastball since the New England game probably contributed to the drops as well. It was all off kilter.. Throw in that Dak had not practiced with them much during the week and it was all a big clusterbleep and cannot happen again. It might have been different if Dak had not been off two weeks prior but having HIM rusty AND not able to get in sync with the receivers in practice because of their injuries.. That's a coaching fail. McCarthy needs to get that fixed.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lamb was recovering from a fresh but minor ankle tweak at practice on Wednesday. He said that in an interview on the DC YouTube channel. Dak and Lamb's sync was off because of this injury but also Dak just not playing well also.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lamb was recovering from a fresh but minor ankle tweak at practice on Wednesday. He said that in an interview on the DC YouTube channel. Dak and Lamb's sync was off because of this injury but also Dak just not playing well also.

I think the big thing was their not practicing together much last week. The only "starter" Dak was able to practice with all week was Wilson.. but as we learned HE got hurt during the game which is why we saw more of Turner than we ever thought we would.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Yeah.. for some reason people want to take acknowledging that the guys were not 100% is excusing Dak for his part in that debacle. They were dinged and it showed. Both in their outright speed and in the crispness of their routes. Not seeing Dak's fastball since the New England game probably contributed to the drops as well. It was all off kilter.. Throw in that Dak had not practiced with them much during the week and it was all a big clusterbleep and cannot happen again. It might have been different if Dak had not been off two weeks prior but having HIM rusty AND not able to get in sync with the receivers in practice because of their injuries.. That's a coaching fail. McCarthy needs to get that fixed.

Ronnie. Own it or not, but you typically come across as a Dak apologist, complete with the name calling and labeling of your perceived enemy. Evidenced in this very thread. Could that be a contributing factor to the heat you're taking here? Intended or not, this thread definitely comes across as an excuse for Dak, My eyes started rolling at the title.

As far as the OP goes... Even if CDL was slowed by his ankle the QB should know this and adjust, at least after the first miss and the resulting communication between the QB and WR. Those weren't timing throws. I understand that a QB gets used to his WR's and gets a feel for how far they can "go get it" but that QB should be able to adjust to a slightly hobbled receiver the same way he needs to adjust from putting it out in front of Lamb to putting it out in front of Schultz.

I'm certainly not blaming this loss entirely on Dak. It should be pointed out though, that those were big time missed opportunities that could have changed the outcome. Those plays are the difference between elite and good.

Yes, the drops mattered too but the triggerman always has and always will carry the most responsibility, get the most credit and take the most blame,

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ronnie. Own it or not, but you typically come across as a Dak apologist, complete with the name calling and labeling of your perceived enemy. Evidenced in this very thread. Could that be a contributing factor to the heat you're taking here? Intended or not, this thread definitely comes across as an excuse for Dak, My eyes started rolling at the title.

As far as the OP goes... Even if CDL was slowed by his ankle the QB should know this and adjust, at least after the first miss and the resulting communication between the QB and WR. Those weren't timing throws. I understand that a QB gets used to his WR's and gets a feel for how far they can "go get it" but that QB should be able to adjust to a slightly hobbled receiver the same way he needs to adjust from putting it out in front of Lamb to putting it out in front of Schultz.

I'm certainly not blaming this loss entirely on Dak. It should be pointed out though, that those were big time missed opportunities that could have changed the outcome. Those plays are the difference between elite and good.

Yes, the drops mattered too but the triggerman always has and always will carry the most responsibility, get the most credit and take the most blame,

I'm sure you're read enough of my posts to know that I could care less if some segment of this board thinks I am an "apologist" for anybody. I talk about what entertains me in the way that entertains me. Looking for discussion not affirmation. Everybody knows how the credit/blame game goes with the QB. What puzzles me is that despite knowing how silly it is, and most acknowledge that it's silly, people continue to persist with it. But whatever.. Dak didn't time up those throws to Lamb.. in addition he had several balls sail on him and of course that one key ball to Wilson on 4th down die 3 yards short of the mark.
But get this: I just listened to McCarthy's presser today and he mentioned that they had limited Dak's participation in the footwork and mechanical drills last week in deference to the calf. Talk about stupid!!! We all recognize that Dak is a guy who has had to work his *** off to become a polished NFL level passer. The coaching staff should recognize that it's something he has to work at every day because he never got that base established in high school or college. He also said that they did not make that mistake this week and Dak has done all that work this week. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm sure you're read enough of my posts to know that I could care less if some segment of this board thinks I am an "apologist" for anybody. I talk about what entertains me in the way that entertains me. Looking for discussion not affirmation. Everybody knows how the credit/blame game goes with the QB. What puzzles me is that despite knowing how silly it is, and most acknowledge that it's silly, people continue to persist with it. But whatever.. Dak didn't time up those throws to Lamb.. in addition he had several balls sail on him and of course that one key ball to Wilson on 4th down die 3 yards short of the mark.
But get this: I just listened to McCarthy's presser today and he mentioned that they had limited Dak's participation in the footwork and mechanical drills last week in deference to the calf. Talk about stupid!!! We all recognize that Dak is a guy who has had to work his *** off to become a polished NFL level passer. The coaching staff should recognize that it's something he has to work at every day because he never got that base established in high school or college. He also said that they did not make that mistake this week and Dak has done all that work this week. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

Hey, I'm just saying. The fact that you don't care how you come across really has nothing to do with how you come across, and perception is reality.

My reference to the triggerman had nothing to do with the base level thinking of "the QB gets all the credit/blame" but more to do with the fact that he actually does carry the most responsibility, has the most authority on the field, and has the most influence so he should be held to a higher standard. If a WR is dropping balls many QB's stop throwing to him. If a RB is fumbling, he stops getting carries. How often do you see QB1 get pulled in anything other than a blowout situation? Pretty much never, because he is the leader, the Field General. It is much, much, much easier to overcome a terrible game by a WR with a good game from the QB than to overcome a terrible game by the QB with a great game by a WR. Even a connection on one of those terrible overthrows could very well have made a difference in a tight (at the time) game.

I get a chuckle out of how you deflect from Dak to the coaching in a post rejecting the thought that you are making excuses for Dak. I know you don't care.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just saying. The fact that you don't care how you come across really has nothing to do with how you come across, and perception is reality.

My reference to the triggerman had nothing to do with the base level thinking of "the QB gets all the credit/blame" but more to do with the fact that he actually does carry the most responsibility, has the most authority on the field, and has the most influence so he should be held to a higher standard. If a WR is dropping balls many QB's stop throwing to him. If a RB is fumbling, he stops getting carries. How often do you see QB1 get pulled in anything other than a blowout situation? Pretty much never, because he is the leader, the Field General. It is much, much, much easier to overcome a terrible game by a WR with a good game from the QB than to overcome a terrible game by the QB with a great game by a WR. Even a connection on one of those terrible overthrows could very well have made a difference in a tight (at the time) game.

I get a chuckle out of how you deflect from Dak to the coaching in a post rejecting the thought that you are making excuses for Dak. I know you don't care.

Lemme see.. Lamb and Cooper have both admitted they were not capable of running at full speed.. McCarthy just told us that they didn't let Dak do the drills to keep his mechanics sharp all week.. It seems I'm not the only one "deflecting from Dak." That Dak played like crap is a given.. we all watched the game.. My goal is to deconstruct the why.. If you don't like it, feel free not to participate.. but figuring out why things don't work is actually what I do for a living and I've been doing it for going on 40 years. It's in my DNA.. I know Mike McCarthy isn't going to come on here and read my analysis and devise his game plan accordingly, but I'm gonna do my analysis anyway.. Again.. because it entertains me while I wait for these debugging command scripts to run.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Lemme see.. Lamb and Cooper have both admitted they were not capable of running at full speed.. McCarthy just told us that they didn't let Dak do the drills to keep his mechanics sharp all week.. It seems I'm not the only one "deflecting from Dak." That Dak played like crap is a given.. we all watched the game.. My goal is to deconstruct the why.. If you don't like it, feel free not to participate.. but figuring out why things don't work is actually what I do for a living and I've been doing it for going on 40 years. It's in my DNA.. I know Mike McCarthy isn't going to come on here and read my analysis and devise his game plan accordingly, but I'm gonna do my analysis anyway.. Again.. because it entertains me while I wait for these debugging command scripts to run.

Well, It seems I'm not the only one that perceives it as excuse making, either.

Like I said, even if the WR was hobbled a bit the QB should be capable of adjusting, so pointing out that the WR may have been a bit slower than usual really doesn't have much relevancy as a legitimate reason. The QB should be able to adjust.

So. let me see. The six year vet QB missed 3/4ths of the previous season, most of training camp, then started his first game in ten months with very little preparation and somehow managed to play lights out, then gets 6 solid weeks of practice in before sitting for two weeks and he forgets how to play? Doesn't really make much sense.

Honestly, as much as I do value and appreciate practice and repetition, I have a hard time understanding how a six year veteran QB, considered by many as elite, and paid as such, falls apart because he didn't get enough practice on his footwork in the week leading to the game. That would be like being bedridden for two weeks and forgetting how to walk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know it's time to move on to the Falcons but it occurred to me as I watched that game last week that Lamb could not find the gear to go get those balls. Generally he has been a guy who has been able to hit the turbo button and go get it. We know he sat out a lot of practice after the ankle tweak which meant not only was he gimpy but the timing with Dak was not where it needed to be. Did Dak heave those balls with a 100% Lamb in mind but that guy wasn't playing on Sunday. I know the haters will whine that this is excuse making but who cares? When things go wrong I look for reasons why.. Those who don't like it are free to go read other people's posts.

Always looking for some homer excuse to absolve the players of blame. Dak overthrew both of them. Bottom line.

And your hero Zeke had another stinker with 50 yards rushing.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Always looking for some homer excuse to absolve the players of blame. Dak overthrew both of them. Bottom line.

And your hero Zeke had another stinker with 50 yards rushing.

Zeke averaged 5.1 yards per carry on 10 totes.. Several morons here have assured me that the back who has the higher average was clearly better and the only thing holding him back was more touches.. The Cowboys other back averaged 2.75 yards per carry.. THAT bum clearly needs to be benched.

Thanks for playing..

TwentyOne

Reaction score

No.

It was because our 140 mil QB wasnt as accurate as a 140 mil QB should be.

Well, anyways, he was Dak on that day.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Our QB is a 160 million dollar QB.. Who was it you thought was playing?

Well i already answered it. Dak played.
An below average NFL QB.

Tight man coverage and DL pressure forced him to throw accurate passes. Which he wasnt able to.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Well i already answered it. Dak played.
An below average NFL QB.

Tight man coverage and DL pressure forced him to throw accurate passes. Which he wasnt able to.

Troll on son.. Enjoy yourself.. I aint interested.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Troll on son.. Enjoy yourself.. I aint interested.

lol...Ronnie, you are so cool and funny, smart at the same time. If'n you was not interested why did ya start this post?

There are just to many variables to try and make sense out of nonsense. The work that you do must sometimes make you over analyze a lot of things...I worked as an IBM computer programmer for 20 years and after I retired I had a problem like that, I tried to wonder WTH about stuff? lol

You know, just like your post about putting something in the ball and goal line so the refs could decide the play?

We will never know the cause...cause that play is gone. Trying to over analyze football...and don't hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
What's the ultimate point of any topic of discussion on an internet message board.. To entertain myself.. How about you? What's the ultimate point of you posts?
to discuss, but this board had plenty of homers and haters and I hate excuse making.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
to discuss, but this board had plenty of homers and haters and I hate excuse making.

Fair enough but if you're going to label any analysis of a player's performance that doesn't end with "see I told you he sucks, cut him" as "excuse making" then you're not going to get much discussion. I have no interest in playing that game.. I like to talk football.. and I will go deeper than "he stunk" when I do. I played every position on offense except tight end and oline and all the secondary positions.. I have coached all the "skill" positions on offense. I'm going to talk about what went wrong and why I think it did, especially on the positions I played and coached. If all you wanna read is how much a guy sucks I'm probably not your guy.. No animosity from my end. Everybody can't like everybody.. I'm fine with that.