Was Larry Allen or Bob Lilly the greatest cowboy

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I know the QB's and a running back or two, maybe even a CB and safety would inter into this discussion, but theses two were world class.

who you got? it's the offseason for us at least.

Discuss.:flagwave:

Both were really great but as far as the greatest Cowboy, what he did, the fact that all the players felt that regardless what the score was he could always make a come back, because of his character, Roger Staubach is the greatest Cowboy ever. If it's not him that Emmitt who is the NFL all time leading rusher is. It's a mistake to limit it between just 2 players for the greatest Cowboys ever.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Larry Allen was a killer. Along multiple positions.
His strength is legendary.
The term Allenitis story (article) is a classic.
The stories of people talking about playing against him are a classic.
My favorite Cowboy play ever was Larry Allen pulling in the Superbowl and knocking greg lloyd on his butt to open up Catch 22.

With that said.

I think I gotta go with Mr. Cowboy Bob Lilly.

Larry Allen had good players around him at wr, qb, and don't forget big E and others. Plus he had a pretty good Defense to help the team as well.

Bob Lilly was there as the first pick of an expansion dallas cowboys team. He had nowhere near the talent around him starting out. Yet he was still a man among boys.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You’d be a rare individual if you felt the impact and emotions of the day as much as the ones who lived thru it and experienced it.

But if you think you can know how it felt as those in the Holocaust , that says it all. I rest my case.

Keep in mind, that this began with you claiming that watching a game in the past
can't be compared to watching that same game on video years later. As if, a person can't
see the dominance of a player in the 60s era unless they saw it live. It's simply not
true. Kids marvel at Earl Campbell running over a Rams LB and Walter Payton running
over the entire KC defense as much today as when I saw it live.

Sure, we can fill in the blanks. "Yeah, kid, those guys were awesome." But to say there's
no way you can understand unless you were there is silly.

Motorola

Reaction score
Hell yea.

My dad always said Unitas was greatest QB ever. He actually got to see him play in Baltimore while in the Navy. Before Dallas had a team Colts were his team.

And my grandfather always claimed Sammy Baugh was greatest he ever saw.

It’s always about who you grew up seeing. Rarely do we see later in life our greatest talents.

There’s been a few exceptions for me. Like Brady. Lebron is another one who’s definitely one of the greatest. But there’s not many .
My Dad always said Jim Brown was the greatest.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Keep in mind, that this began with you claiming that watching a game in the past
can't be compared to watching that same game on video years later. As if, a person can't
see the dominance of a player in the 60s era unless they saw it live. It's simply not
true. Kids marvel at Earl Campbell running over a Rams LB and Walter Payton running
over the entire KC defense as much today as when I saw it live.

Sure, we can fill in the blanks. "Yeah, kid, those guys were awesome." But to say there's
no way you can understand unless you were there is silly.
You obviously missed my point and why I used the reference to my paper . It was never about the knowledge.

But there’s no need in arguing with someone who thinks they felt the same impact and emotion of those experiencing it in real time being in the Holocaust as someone who’s visited or studied it.

My argument was about the impact of emotion of the moment not how knowledgeable we were about the game itself.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You obviously missed my point and why I used the reference to my paper . It was never about the knowledge.

Sure. Because you "referenced your paper" when you went back and edited your comment
after my response. Most likely because you realized that your original comment made you
look like a grumpy old man. You made no mention of your edit until AFTER I mentioned The Great Depression.

I'm done with this discussion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure. Because you "referenced your paper" when you went back and edited your comment
after my response. Most likely because you realized that your original comment made you
look like a grumpy old man. You made no mention of your edit until AFTER I mentioned The Great Depression.

I'm done with this discussion.
I referenced my paper from the beginning. The one you originally responded to.

Regardless , your Holocaust remark took the cake. Lol
I’m not worthy of your greatness. You know exactly how those people felt on the trains headed to the gas chambers. Lol

For the record here’s the original post you responded to .

Diehardblues said:
Anyone who didn’t live the 60’s and 70’s whether in the music or sports will never be able to relate by simply reading , listening about it or watching videos.

I minored in American History and wrote my thesis on Great Depression but it was my parents and grandparents depictions and experiences which brought my paper out. Not the knowledge I researched, the info I gathered or opinions I presented.

Your response :

Wrong.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I referenced my paper from the beginning. The one you originally responded to.

Regardless , your Holocaust remark took the cake. Lol
I’m not worthy of your greatness. You know exactly how those people felt on the trains headed to the gas chambers. Lol

For the record here’s the original post you responded to .

Diehardblues said:
Anyone who didn’t live the 60’s and 70’s whether in the music or sports will never be able to relate by simply reading , listening about it or watching videos.

I minored in American History and wrote my thesis on Great Depression but it was my parents and grandparents depictions and experiences which brought my paper out. Not the knowledge I researched, the info I gathered or opinions I presented.

Your response :

Wrong.

Well, for one, they didn't know they were headed to the gas chamber.
They were told they were going to labor camps. They also walked right into the chamber
thinking it was a shower.

Two, you've already admitted to going back and editing your comment.
Clearly my one word comment and second comment pertained to yours prior to your edit.
Yet, you said nothing about it.

You're right about one thing though. You're not worthy.

RS12

Reaction score

But there’s no need in arguing with someone who thinks they felt the same impact and emotion of those experiencing it in real time being in the Holocaust as someone who’s visited or studied it.

My argument was about the impact of emotion of the moment not how knowledgeable we were about the game itself.
I think I can give a prime example of what you talking about. You can watch SB6 on YouTube or you can read numerous accounts, or even watch the 30 minute Joh Facenda version on NFLN. But experiencing that game as it was played: watching Alworth and Ditka TDs, Lilly 29 yard sack and Landry carried off as it happened was a different experience. You had to live it to really appreciate it.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I think I can give a prime example of what you talking about. You can watch SB6 on YouTube or you can read numerous accounts, or even watch the 30 minute Joh Facenda version on NFLN. But experiencing that game as it was played: watching Alworth and Ditka TDs, Lilly 29 yard sack and Landry carried off as it happened was a different experience. You had to live it to really appreciate it.

You'd be wrong too. I have that entire game on disc as it was broadcasted.
At one point, I had the first 33 Super Bowls exactly as broadcasted.
I can assure you it felt the same as you watching it live, with the obvious exception
of knowing the final result.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The greatest Cowboy of all time was Deion Sanders.
He was not a great Cowboy.

He had one year where he made a difference. After that it was his personality and his toe.

After that he contributed to the culture issues with the team.

In fact, I think he was directly responsible for destroying the work ethic that Michael Irvin brought that made those teams great.

He brought the idea to Jones that it is all about the stars of the team.

En garde.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, for one, they didn't know they were headed to the gas chamber.
They were told they were going to labor camps. They also walked right into the chamber
thinking it was a shower.

Two, you've already admitted to going back and editing your comment.
Clearly my one word comment and second comment pertained to yours prior to your edit.
Yet, you said nothing about it.

You're right about one thing though. You're not worthy.
My edit you’re referring to was in a post following that initial response. Please keep up.

That initial post you responded to was in a response to someone else and had been up.

Just admit you misinterpret my meaning . I admitted it wasn’t about knowledge.

RS12

Reaction score
He was not a great Cowboy.

He had one year where he made a difference. After that it was his personality and his toe.

After that he contributed to the culture issues with the team.

In fact, I think he was directly responsible for destroying the work ethic that Michael Irvin brought that made those teams great.

He brought the idea to Jones that it is all about the stars of the team.

En garde.
And that stars philosophy has worked great ever since. Oh wait....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Right .

Impact and emotions in the moment can’t be taught or studied. They can only be lived and experienced. It’s why we interview them for their reaction.

Even when I watched the Ice Bowl I’ll never forget the frigid 13 below elements but could I have felt the impact and experience of being there freezing my butt off and getting frost bite. No, no more than I can feel the hit from a DL taking my breathe away or breaking a rib.

But we have one fan on here that only needs to watch or read about what it’s like to be there and knows . Lol

silver

Reaction score
Bob Lily is the reason I became a fan. My dad and uncle pointing out him beating double and triple teams in Super Bowl VI did it for me. I was 5.